Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #331
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Catfight!

Name:  Colors.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  65.3 KB

This could be dangerous. They may each be on the last of their nine lives.

Quote:
Dr. Deborah Birx on Sunday strongly defended her record amid criticism from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that she doesn't have confidence in the White House coronavirus task force coordinator's handling of the pandemic.

... "I have never been called pollyannish, or nonscientific, or non-data driven," Birx said. "And I will stake my 40-year career on those fundamental principles of utilizing data to really implement better programs to save more lives."

But Pelosi doubled down Sunday morning on a comment she reportedly made behind closed doors on Thursday night accusing Birx of spreading disinformation about the coronavirus pandemic.

Politico reported Pelosi told White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin that Birx was the "worst" and that they were in "horrible hands" with her. ...

... In 2014, President Barack Obama nominated Birx to her role at the US State Department as an ambassador-at-large and coordinator of the US Government Activities to Combat HIV/AIDS and US Special Representative for Global Health Diplomacy.

She served as the head of US Military HIV Research Program in the 90s -- a role in which she oversaw the Thai vaccine trial, the first HIV vaccine to show preventative results -- and later became director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Division of Global HIV/AIDS in 2005.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #332
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It doesn't matter how good or bad she is, she's not calling the shots.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #333
sexobon

Pelosi doesn't like her because she's bi-.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #334
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Pelosi doesn't like her because she's bi-.
Quote:
snip--
Now speak for her some more about what she believes and we'll see just how well people who live in glass houses do throwing stones.
double standards much?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #335
sexobon

Bi-partisan, works for Presidents of either party.

Pelosi is a public figure, not a dwellar. Apples and oranges.

"You stupid." - Eric Von Zipper awardee.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #336
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What is Birx the president of? One of your secret societies? You guys have a secret handshake? One of those cool low-contrast velcro backed patches?

whatever, troll. you're still on my ignore list. you're gonna have to raise your voice #capslock to break through again. s'ok, you can have the last word. you're boring anyhow.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #337
sexobon

Quote:
Bi-partisan, works for Presidents of either party. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
What is Birx the president of?...
Reading comprehension BigVino.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #338
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

When you have arguments from data, argument from authority won't cut it.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #339
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
When you have arguments from data, argument from authority won't cut it.
Ok

Sounds about right. What part of the thread are you talking about?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #340
sexobon

This looks like a job for The Doctor, with assistance from Bicycle Repairman, and they may even have to recall Harry and Meghan to Royal duty. Social media news can be a formidable foe:

Quote:
Just 30% of Brits say they would definitely get a coronavirus vaccine, with scientists blaming anti-vaxxer conspiracy theories and mistrust in government

... Less than a third of British people say they would definitely get a coronavirus vaccine, with scientists warning that the UK government and social media companies must fight misinformation for a vaccine to be widely accepted.

New research by pollsters Ipsos Mori and Kings College London university found that 30% of people in the UK said they were certain to get a vaccine for COVID-19 if it became available.

23% said they were very likely and 20% said they were fairly likely.

However, 16% of respondents said they were either unlikely to get a vaccine or definitely wouldn't. ...

... Scientists behind the research said there was a clear link between opposition to a vaccine and social media as a source of news. 27% of respondents who said they got their news from Whatsapp said they would be unlikely to get the virus. ...

... While one in six in the UK say they are unlikely to, or definitely won't, get a potential vaccine, this rises to around a third or more among certain groups, with a clear link to belief in conspiracy theories and mistrust of government, authority and science. ...
Old 08-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #341
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What we do not need is my mask is better than your mask neener neener neener.
Many masks are augmentable. Customizable in about five minutes.

My podiatrist (yes, this is quite anecdotal and not on the internet until I put it there) showed me a technique to augment many kinds of masks: add two to four layers of new, straight off the roll, paper towel. The idea is that any droplets you exhale have to negotiate three to five layers of barrier to go anywhere, and any droplets out in the ambient have to thread through the same barriers to get at you -- and the trick does not make the mask breathe any worse, especially the blue-paper disposable surgical masks.

Being a doc, my podiatrist uses a more rigid protocol; he starts the day on about five layers of towel stapled with a couple of staples to the top edge of the mask, the towel layers of course being on the inside of the mask. A little shaping with scissors keeps the paper towel pieces neat and convenient. About every patient, or about every hour, he discards the innermost towel layer, and now his mask is nice and fresh.

Some styles of two-layer cloth masks have open sides through which paper towel might be folded widthwise and inserted from one side or the other, without recourse to stapling.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #342
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Ok

Sounds about right. What part of the thread are you talking about?
Oh, this sort of thing: "On my authority as Speaker, Donald Trump is NOT ALLOWED a win, even in medicine, even if he took a medicine prophylactically, especially since it's with apparent success." Puh-leeeze. Let's have signs of intelligent life in the House; is that somehow too much to ask? I'm tired of the bigotry there.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #343
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Many masks are augmentable. Customizable in about five minutes.

My podiatrist (yes, this is quite anecdotal and not on the internet until I put it there) showed me a technique to augment many kinds of masks: add two to four layers of new, straight off the roll, paper towel. The idea is that any droplets you exhale have to negotiate three to five layers of barrier to go anywhere, and any droplets out in the ambient have to thread through the same barriers to get at you -- and the trick does not make the mask breathe any worse, especially the blue-paper disposable surgical masks.

Being a doc, my podiatrist uses a more rigid protocol; he starts the day on about five layers of towel stapled with a couple of staples to the top edge of the mask, the towel layers of course being on the inside of the mask. A little shaping with scissors keeps the paper towel pieces neat and convenient. About every patient, or about every hour, he discards the innermost towel layer, and now his mask is nice and fresh.

Some styles of two-layer cloth masks have open sides through which paper towel might be folded widthwise and inserted from one side or the other, without recourse to stapling.
This is interesting. Anybody see a downside?
Old 08-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #344
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Oh, this sort of thing: "On my authority as Speaker, Donald Trump is NOT ALLOWED a win, even in medicine, even if he took a medicine prophylactically, especially since it's with apparent success." Puh-leeeze. Let's have signs of intelligent life in the House; is that somehow too much to ask? I'm tired of the bigotry there.
cite please.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #345
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
This is interesting. Anybody see a downside?

Yes. If the paper towel is closest to your mouth, you can breathe in paper towel fibers. You don’t want that in your lungs. Paper towels are not lint free. However, if you have a two layer fabric mask, paper towels are excellent additional filtration material sandwiched between the two layers and I have done this myself. I tried a coffee filter first, but it was too difficult to breathe through. The cloth captures any paper towel lint/fibers.

We know wood dust from woodworking is terrible for your lungs. Paper towel fibers are also bad.

Those blue shop paper towels are a lot better.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote