The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 07:02 PM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I wonder how much they jacked up the prices by dressing them up...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #17
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisinhouston
Didn't some Saudi dress up his garden statues in Beverly Hills a few years back?
Actually, he painted them in flesh tone. Now, I'm not completely sure, but my understanding is that this is what the Romans did and that much of the ancient Roman statuary we see today was once painted.

Of course, to our acquired tastes, painting a statue turns a tasteful marble nude into a tawdry naked woman.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:19 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Of course, to our acquired tastes, painting a statue turns a tasteful marble nude into a tawdry naked woman.
Gosh Rich, you make that sound like a bad thing.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:27 AM   #19
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: 4/21/2004: Lawn ornaments covered

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Welcome to the G&L Garden Center in Hartsville Tennessee, where employees added sarongs to their lawn ornaments after a customer complained that all the nekkid bits were all visible and stuff. Concrete, sure, but still nekkid.
WTF?!?!?!?!?

More proof that the world is going straight to hell...in a handbasket...express lane.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

now even showin yer drawers is illegal (almost)

Pull up those pants, boy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Feb9.html
Old 02-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #21
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
Didn't some Saudi dress up his garden statues in Beverly Hills a few years back?
He painted the statues to make them more lifelike. My understanding is that many Greek statues actually were painted.

From http://www.crystalinks.com/greekart.html
Quote:
The Greeks had plenty of beautiful marble and used it freely for temples as well as for their sculpture

They were not satisfied with its cold whiteness, however, and painted both their statues and their buildings.

Some statues have been found with their bright colors still preserved, but most of them lost their paint through weathering.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #22
dasviper
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigliadore
I hate all this political correctness shit that has been going on for a few years now .... I hate that so many people are willing to get offended over the smallest things. Get a fucking life people, everything doesn't need to be about how you feel about something.
You know what's a small thing to get offended over? A garden center that wishes to do more business by accomodating the greatest possible number of customers. If some of them don't like exposed genetalia on their lawn sculptures, so be it. Why not cover them up? It's not like the government is forcing anyone's hand. It's just good business.

Take some of your own advice, Brigliadore: everything doesn't need to be about how you feel about something.
dasviper is offline   Reply With Quote