The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

See...I *told* you that more Pagans are former Catholics than any other religion. It is because they were already engaged in goddess worship, and they are used to flashy rituals and interesting clothes.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #17
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Yeah, I'd like to see their stance on Wicca, for example. I'm sure they are equally filled with love for Buddhists and Hindu's as well.
Face it, Mari--unless you're a wing-nut Christian of the Bob Jones variety, you are GOING TO HELL. I bet they don't even know what Wicca is.

It's so funny how people get freaked out by religions they don't understand. At my old job I had a little Buddha statue on my desk, not because I'm Buddhist, but just because it made me happy to look at it. One of my co-workers was a fanatical born-again Christian (of the Bob Jones variety), and that little statue pissed her off to no end. It might as well been a statue of Satan. I subsequently aquired several more relics of Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism and put those on my desk, too. Ha.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:47 AM   #18
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
I bet they don't even know what Wicca is.
For folks like that, they don't need to. They just need to know that Wicca != their brand of Christianity, that it is something other than THEIR religion, which of course is the CORRECT or TRUE religion. Doesn't matter what it is, it's history or it's validity with the people who follow it. This can apply to any religious zealot, regardless of official religious affiliation.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #19
marichiko

Quote:
Face it, Mari--unless you're a wing-nut Christian of the Bob Jones variety, you are GOING TO HELL. I bet they don't even know what Wicca is.

It's so funny how people get freaked out by religions they don't understand. At my old job I had a little Buddha statue on my desk, not because I'm Buddhist, but just because it made me happy to look at it. One of my co-workers was a fanatical born-again Christian (of the Bob Jones variety), and that little statue pissed her off to no end. It might as well been a statue of Satan. I subsequently aquired several more relics of Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism and put those on my desk, too. Ha.
My favorate encounter was with a former Jehovah's Witness who took exception to a poster of the Green Tara (a Tibetan Buddhist feminine form of the Buddha) that I had on my wall. He studied the poster for about 10 minutes with the look on his face becoming ever more uncomfortable. Finally, he said, "She sure is green. Is that what your God looks like?"
Old 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #20
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
At last, Garnet and I have something in common! I have a little bronze Buddha sitting on top of my monitor at work looking at me right now! One of our salesmen went on vacation and brought something back for everyone. Since I'm the resident oddball religion guy, I got Buddha (everyone else got tropical t-shirts and the like). He knew that I was not Buddhist, but since I told him Pagans were really into graven images, it was the first thing he thought of for me.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #21
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
At last, Garnet and I have something in common! I have a little bronze Buddha sitting on top of my monitor at work looking at me right now!
Ha ha! Yeah, I'm a fan of the "oddball" religions myself. I'm particularly interested in the Eastern religions. I'm woefully under-educated about them, but something about that smiling Buddha has always cheered me up
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #22
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
........... I have a little bronze Buddha sitting on top of my monitor at work looking at me right now!
My boy isnt good enough to stare at you while you are working? Sounds like descrimination to me.

And as for the *really* annoying Christian types hassling people; I sincerly apologize.

The real hard core people cannot be distracted by cable tv and just leave people where they are, much as I have tried to get them wired.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #23
Buddha
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
My boy isnt good enough to stare at you while you are working? Sounds like descrimination to me.

And as for the *really* annoying Christian types hassling people; I sincerly apologize.
There, there Big Guy. Aren't all those folks wearing crucifixes enough for you? BTW, notice how no one ever complains about Buddhists hassling Christians for their crosses? I think you may be getting an image problem. I'll have my PR guys call yours and they all can do lunch sometime.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #24
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
I'll have my PR guys call yours and they all can do lunch sometime.
Ok, I'm sure your people could learn something. Notice the growing trend of red states. I'm getting my mojo back.

What color states might be representing your philosophy? Blue? Emerald? Oh, that's right....you really arent represented in large numbers here in America.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:39 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
God bless his little heart, he wants democracy to thrive so I'll be free to do what he tells me I must do.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:52 AM   #26
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
God bless his little heart, he wants democracy to thrive so I'll be free to do what he tells me I must do.
Good luck selling that to the Aussies. I choose to believe that Australia and New Zealand are two places where the 'give up your freedom for the illusion of safety' argument won't fly with the populace.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #27
jaguar
whig

We wrote of Pell as a nutter a long time ago, he's just trying to secure himself a higher place in the vatican.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #28
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
We wrote of Pell as a nutter a long time ago, he's just trying to secure himself a higher place in the vatican.

Quote:
In a wide-ranging speech which also attacked his critics for suggesting conservative Christians were a danger to democracy, Dr Pell said communism had showed how the emptiness of the secular approach could be filled with something darker.
...and he's just the man to do it!

Unfortunately, there are places here where he would be all too welcome.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 11-14-2004 at 11:36 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Good luck selling that to the Aussies. I choose to believe that Australia and New Zealand are two places where the 'give up your freedom for the illusion of safety' argument won't fly with the populace.
Don't count on it. They turned in their guns.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:13 PM   #30
jaguar
whig

Frankly, I could handle Pope Pell as long as he doesn't frigging come back. On the flipside I have to agree with wolf- they re-elected Howard, the lieing little shit.