The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-28-2004, 03:31 PM   #16
marichiko

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I think the most curious thing about the current state of religious affairs is that, even though we know historically that the current Predominant Religion is based on even older mythologies, it doesn't give Predominant Religion's ahderents enough perspective to stop violating their own religious dogma (i.e., thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife's ass, etc) in order to further that same dogma.

It is all about money and power, pure and simple. Nothing more. True spirituality is an inward experience. It has outward manifestations, sure, but the minute anyone practicing any sort of outward spirituality starts trying to tell *you* what you *must* or *must not* do, run screaming in the other direction...and keep your hand on your wallet.

Hear! Hear! Religion DOES NOT equal spirituality! George W. Bush is a Christian, but I don't think anyone would call him a spiritual man. Osami Bin Ladin is a Muslim, but he's hardly a spiritual person. Both men are certainly religous, however. The manifestations of religous belief shown by these two men and a multitude of other religous people of all creeds are what has turned me off completely to the idea of organized religion. I attempt to walk a spiritual path which is distinctly my own, and I'd never dream of imposing it of someone else.

Last edited by marichiko; 09-28-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:55 AM   #17
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Religion is real simple:

1) We don't know.
2) We make something up.

The similarities of the religions come from the similarities of the psychological needs of humans.

Religion, weed, and chocolate all effect the brain similarly, that's why people can't give up religion.
Exactly.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:13 AM   #18
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Religion, weed, and chocolate all effect the brain similarly, that's why people can't give up religion.
Don't forget cable TV. It's a biggie even for me.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:06 PM   #19
Buddha
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
Don't forget cable TV. It's a biggie even for me.
I see you are finally back from your extended vacation on Alpha Centuri. Things have not improved in your absense. Lucifer is responsible for the cable TV thing in case you we're wondering. Me and Krishna tried to talk him out of it, but as You know, there's no reasoning with Satan.
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:37 AM   #20
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
I see you are finally back from your extended vacation on Alpha Centuri.
As I look around, I'm seriously considering going right back.

Quote:
Things have not improved in your absense. Lucifer is responsible for the cable TV thing in case you we're wondering.
Hhmm. I thought the Fox channel was responsible for all the bad stuff. They are the ones most mentioned with my name in curses anyway. I'll have Reagan look into that and report back.

Quote:
Me and Krishna tried to talk him out of it, but as You know, there's no reasoning with Satan.
No reasoning with Satan or the IRS, true.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Leave Satan out of it! I am sick and tired of the Satan-Bashing that goes on via this Thread! Now, STOP IT!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #22
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Buddha: What is it like to be enlightened? Do you experience overwhelming joy in every moment? Have you known suffering? Do you ever sit under trees?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #23
Buddha
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
Buddha: What is it like to be enlightened? Do you experience overwhelming joy in every moment? Have you known suffering? Do you ever sit under trees?

What is it like to be enlightened? How would you explain colors to a child who has been blind from birth? To be enlightened is to be AWAKE! All illusions finally fall away and one sees things as they actually are. I do not experience overwhelming joy every momemt, but a profound sense of serenity and peace even when watching the antics of God (you here on earth don't know the half of the stuff he pulls, the rest of us are forever trying to clean up after His mistakes!). I knew suffering very well in the lifetimes leading up to my enlightenment and the life in which I finally attained enlightenment. The whole reason I ran away from Dad's palace back in India was that I saw suffering, old age, and death for the first time at 18 (Mom and Dad were extremely over-protective parents). I attained enlightenment while sitting under a Bodhi tree for 3 days. I've been known to sit under trees since, but I'm equally serene sitting on park benches, buses, the front steps of tenement buildings or just strolling around.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:27 PM   #24
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
I attained enlightenment while sitting under a Bodhi tree for 3 days.
And so you smoked......what....a pound of weed? Takes quite a bit to become enlightened, I would imagine.

Then again, what the hell do I know?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #25
Buddha
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
And so you smoked......what....a pound of weed? Takes quite a bit to become enlightened, I would imagine.

Then again, what the hell do I know?
Er, no. Actually, the Eight-fold Noble Path discourages the use of any intoxicating substance, including weed. I think you are mixing me up with Jesus who has a very bad habit of turning water into wine. We've all tried talking to him about this, but he pays about as much attention as Satan did to the Cable TV thing.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM   #26
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
It is all about money and power, pure and simple. Nothing more. True spirituality is an inward experience. It has outward manifestations, sure, but the minute anyone practicing any sort of outward spirituality starts trying to tell *you* what you *must* or *must not* do, run screaming in the other direction...and keep your hand on your wallet.
I stepped into a Russian church out in the boondockski, that had kept right on doing what it was doing all through the Soviet era, and felt the spirituality ...
I stepped into the newly rebuilt Church of Christ The Saviour in Moscow and smelt only money and power ...
Old 09-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #27
Saddam Hussein
The CIA faked my death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I am sick and tired of the Satan-Bashing that goes on via this Thread!
I agree. Maybe Satan isn't really a bad guy. He probably is decent enough to tend to his own problems and not barge in and illegally arrest the leader of another country.

A leader that was elected with 100% of the vote.
Saddam Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:32 PM   #28
Kofi Annan
Looking for another UN deal to get in on

I dont have anything to add here but everyone else seems to be here, so what the hell, why not post something stupid.
Kofi Annan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:35 PM   #29
ThreadHijackMan
Changing the flow

....aaaannnnnnny-way.......

What was the thread topic again?
ThreadHijackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #30
lookout123
changed his status to single

damn dude - when you reenter the cellar, you do so with a vengeance. welcome back.