The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Have you ever gotten a DUI?
I escape reality via Federation Starships only. Does not apply. 4 20.00%
I always manage to stop the phone spinning long enough to call a cab. 2 10.00%
Hey! did I tell you about driving on so much [insert drug of choice] that..? Should of been caught! 4 20.00%
I've gotten A DUI but it was due to [insert sad story here]. 1 5.00%
I've gotten several DUI's - so what? 0 0%
I've gotten a DUI and it made me look at my party animal habits. 0 0%
Current DUI laws are too strict. 7 35.00%
Current DUI laws are mostly fair. 3 15.00%
I'm a member of MADD and I have a gun! 0 0%
I'm abstaining from this poll because I'm on the wagon. 2 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
marichiko

Missing Drunk Driving Poll HERE!

Here is the missing poll. Sorry for the confusion, but the new system was playing tricks on me last night. Has anyone here ever had a DUI? The above poll is completely anonymous, by the way.

Last edited by marichiko; 08-18-2004 at 04:35 PM. Reason: General Confusion
Old 08-18-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
glatt

Speaking of drinking, have you been tossing a few back? Didn't you start a thread on this at 3:20 AM?
http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6577

Edited to say: nevermind. I see the poll's up now.

Last edited by glatt; 08-18-2004 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Poll's up now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Speaking of drinking, have you been tossing a few back? Didn't you start a thread on this at 3:20 AM?
http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6577
Nah, I'm an insomiac, and my roommate came in late from a date and started talking to me, so I shut off the computer. I didn't think the message got posted. I'll just delete that other one if no body minds. On second thought, UT, is there some way of moving everyone's reply there to under THIS thread? I really didn't think the other one went through because it kept telling me I had more than 100 characters in my questions, and it was late, so I gave up on it 'till today. By the way, I'm on Mountain time, so that would have been 1:20 my time - still late, but not quite so bad!

Last edited by marichiko; 08-18-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
glatt

Leave it up. There were a few good comments on there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

All this talk of DUI and drunk driving polls is making me very thirsty.

I'm gonna have to run out and get another bottle of absolut!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
breakingnews
Q_Q

Hey, looks about beer-thirty!!

Yeeehaw!

Good thing I live in NYC where only the cabbies drive drunk. Yeesh.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

i think that MADD was started with good purpose and did bring about positive changes. unfortunately, it doesn't matter what the laws say on the books, it matters how LE officials choose to enforce them.

i think lowering the limit from .1 to .08 was a political joke meant to make a few zealots happy and produce more revenue. What i see is that the cops hang around bars and pick up the easy targets by setting up roadblocks around one or two bars. they get their quota of dui violations without having to really work. while they are doing that the roads are full of reckless drivers, some intoxicated, some not.

i spelled it out in a thread months ago that i got a dui when i wasn't even driving. i try to be philosophical about it because i know there were a few times where i should have got one but didn't. i fully support the aggressive enforcement of dui laws because the results of that behavior ruins lives.

here is just one example of the problem though. some friends were in town visiting recently. i met them at a bar and we had a blast until closing time. i drank Kaliber (non-alcoholic beer by Guinness) all night because i had to drive a long way and had to be to work early in the morning. one of 5 squad cars sitting less than 200 feet from the parking lot fires up the lights and i have spend 10 minutes convincing the guy i haven't had any alcohol. (he was pissed when i pulled out the kaliber bottle caps and my receipt from my pocket. ) finally he lets me go and less than one block up the road i see a truck just weaving back and forth across the lines, obviously intoxicated. i pull up next to the truck at the next light and see that they are chugging beer in while driving. i called the police on my cell phone and reported what i was seeing. they actually told me that they were having a crack downs on dui that night so they didn't have any available officers to respond even though i was following the weaving vehicle and had given them all the critical info. before they hung up they were nice enough to recommend that i pick a different road to drive on.

that is one example of what happens when dui enforcement is the focus rather than reckless driving.

just my $.02
Old 08-18-2004, 04:24 PM   #8
marichiko

I agree, Lookout. I think .1 should be the lower limit. And the police can be over-zealous in enforcing DUI laws. I think I posted about the friend who realized he had one too many, and pulled off the road to sleep it off before proceding further. The police gave him a DUI for being asleep in his parked truck! They should go after the ones driving on the roads!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
Buddha
Enlightened

Driving 90 mph
Hold the Sake'
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote