The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #46
Athenian
Alphabetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
so if the Egyptians wanted Mubarek to step down and you say that Suleiman is crazy....i'm a bit confused here, so you're saying Suleiman will be worse? then why ask mubarek to step down? seems like the lesser of two evils....going by what you said that is.....
Well played sir.
Athenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #47
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Uday - the difference between the right and left is easy to discern. Close your eyes and think of everything good in the world. That's the right. Now picture something so hideous that it frightens young Republicans in their sleep. Thats the evil left wing
Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #48
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I think Big Sarge is UG and Merc's child.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #49
Big Sarge

I'm just the keeper of the light. LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #50
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Uday - the difference between the right and left is easy to discern. Close your eyes and think of everything good in the world. That's the right. Now picture something so hideous that it frightens young Republicans in their sleep. Thats the evil left wing
Um. Wow. *shakes head*

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #51
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Whats the term for something when its is so far fetched that it could almost be satire but isn't? I'm having a hard time taking Big Sarge seriously here.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #52
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Whats the term for something when its is so far fetched that it could almost be satire but isn't? I'm having a hard time taking Big Sarge seriously here.
Hyperbole?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #53
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I think it is Poe's law.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Poe's Law: Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake it for the genuine article.

Poe's Corollary: It is impossible for an act of Fundamentalism to be made that someone won't mistake for a parody.

Poe's paradox: In any fundamentalist group where Poe's Law applies, a paradox exists where any new person (or idea) sufficiently fundamentalist to be accepted by the group is likely to be so ridiculous that they risk being rejected as a parodist (or parody).
Old 02-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #54
Big Sarge

Another way to look at it is the left is possessed by demonic (or should we say democratic) forces.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #55
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
In my country, people talk like this. Mostly the more extreme Muslims, when they talk about any one else.
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #56
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
so if the Egyptians wanted Mubarek to step down and you say that Suleiman is crazy....i'm a bit confused here, so you're saying Suleiman will be worse? then why ask mubarek to step down? seems like the lesser of two evils....going by what you said that is.....
I think most people were not expecting Suleiman to be president after Mubarek. There was no vice president before uprising. Is maybe more like when Augustus chose Tiberius to be the next emperor, so nobody would assassinate him. Mubarek appoints Suleiman to be vice president, so people will keep Mubarek.

It didn't work, and now maybe my country will have to do all this again.
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #57
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday View Post
Is maybe more like when Augustus chose Tiberius to be the next emperor, so nobody would assassinate him.
Appreciate a problem that every leader has. He lives in an ethersphere. Everyone he meets wants something. Suddenly a leader no longer meets simple honest people on a street. Everyone has an agenda. History suggests that ten years of leadership results in corruption. Happens when one lives high in that ethersphere for too long.

Probably the only exception to that rule was King Hussein of Jordan. Who tried to start democracy in Jordan after over ten years of leadership. That example is rare. And that is why so many nations put term limits on their leaders. In the US, the president can only serve eight years. In Italy, view what Silvio Berlusconi has done without regret. Worry about too much Putin in Russia.

How can any leader see a 90% approval vote and think that was an honest plebicite? Clearly Mubarak had to know the elections were rigged. Either he was so subverted by the ethersphere. Or he truly believed he was the god for Egypt. Either way, Suleiman demonstrates a kind of people that end up around a leader who has been there too long. Ronald Reagan had his Oliver North and that corruption.

François Mitterrand did so much good for France in his early days. Living too long and isolated in the ethersphere is why Mitterand eventually became one of France's more corrupt Presidents. To summarize: Power corrupts.

Last edited by tw; 02-16-2011 at 08:31 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #58
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Sarge might be right wing, but remember he spent plenty of time in the desert. His sense of humour is correspondingly dry.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #59
Big Sarge

Alright ya'll, I confess. I've just been joking in this thread.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #60
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

A dry sense of humour is much sought after in these parts. And by these parts I'm talking geographically. My parts welcome something a bit more moist...
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote