The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

The Weekly Wagon Roll Call

Many dwellars are on the wagon for one thing or another - tobacco, alcohol, maybe other things.

Instead of posting admissions of slips to a drunken/smoking thread, I invite you to post declarations of success in this thread.

Start by declaring yourself on the wagon with a post. Then, every Sunday (or the next convenient day after) check back and announce how you did.

My sincere respect goes to anyone struggling with their own weakness in this way. Best wishes to you all.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Present. I'm off the booze going on 2 years. It isn't usually hard for me, but this week was a challenge and [voice of]the holidays are coming.[/doom]
Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wow, time flies. I didn't realize it had been that long, Griff. Congratulations again.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm on the water wagon. No booze. I have not been as successful as Grif but I aspire to be. Onward!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
regular.joe
Старый сержант

18 years tomorrow for no alcohol, about 4 weeks of no smokes. I've been an on again off again smoker, had to quit again...it's really hurting my run time for PT in the Army. As far as not drinking goes, congratulating me for not drinking is like congratulating a cowboy with hemorrhoids for not riding his horse. I am happy with the result though.

Good on the rest of you, doing what ever is you think you need to do to make your life better, or more live-able. I support that.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
SamIam

Count me on the wagon train. Decided to sober up last May and have been almost completely abstinent since - few minor slips, but nothing major, thank God.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Around a year without drinking. That is also being at one of the biggest party/drinking schools in the country.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Been on the wagon for some things about 20 years and others only a few.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Well, I got through yesterday. My head wasn't always in the best place but I was able to patiently explain (again and then again) that I have too much alcoholism in my family to drink. I only have to look at my daughters to know that I'm on the right track. Dad is expressing concern about the amount of boozing my sister and bro-in-law do... not a conversation I really want to have with anyone.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It amazes me in this day and age that some would still comment on--or even pressure!--what others choose to drink. The extent of our family's beverage conversation is, "There's beer, soda, and a few other things in the cooler, or we have wine in the kitchen. Just grab whatever you want. So how are you guys?"
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

It probably stems from their view of me as a booze hound who was a happy drunk. I fear I'm a bit more reserved now and it makes them uncomfortable.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
classicman

I know that feeling Griff. Some of my older friends and to an extent family are not used to me being happy just sitting quietly with a soda or water...

As an aside - A neighbor brought up in conversation that some friends were allowing minors to drink wine with the holiday dinner. Some thought it was just fine and mentioned that the "Italians" do it all the time. Uh, no. I've not heard of this, nor have any of my relatives that I asked about it.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
SamIam

Had a nice Thanksgiving with sober friends, so I wasn't the least bit tempted. I tell people who want to give me a drink that I am allergic to the stuff which is true.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
...not used to me being happy just sitting quietly with a soda or water...
Thank you for that brother. Eventually they'll conclude that I no longer need to be the life of the party.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
classicman

lol - yeh I think I used to be invited just to be the "Free Entertainment" value.
Now that they realize I'm not gonna act like an drunken idiot I have a lot less invitations, and a lot less temptation/problems. At first I took it wrong, but then I realized its actually a good thing. Sorts out those who aren't really interested in my well being. Those who aren't - I don't need them in my life anyway.