The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

9/1/2005: NO from satellite before/after

The images above are too large for IotD, and too wide.

I have avoided any disaster shots because none of them told
any more story than we've seen otherwise, until now.
The USGS landsat project offers up
these wild shots of the changes between August 24 and August 30.

via Boing Boing
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Doesn't look that bad from up here. I don't know what everyone is so upset about.

Actually, in all seriousness, it is a major tragedy. I can't bear to see anymore pics, video, or hear the stories coming out of the South. I got really sad when I found out that one of the best resturants, Pascal's - famous for their bar-ba-que shrimp, is probably submerged as we speak. All I am seeing is pictures from Canal street, anyone know how the French Quarter faired?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

These are the type of shots I like best, for showing the scope of differance. I see lots of areas that were green, but now are blue. Thanks for the pics. Scary.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Ero
Musician

It is an interesting shot indeed. The differences seem subtle at first but if you take some time looking at the picture you see loads of flooded areas. note the part in the upper left of the photographs, it is completely gone in the second photo. I'm from the Netherlands so the whole disaster is pretty far away from me but I see it on the news all day and it IS indeed a terrible disaster. I wouldn't wish this to happen to anyone.

I'm new here by the way; read loads of posts on the forum and became particularly interested in joining when I saw that the topics discussed here weren't the usual rubbish. So anyways, hello to everyone here.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

welcome Ero!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Regarding the second picture:
Quote:
This closeup of New Orleans shows the areas of the city that were flooded after levies broke. These areas are shown as darker green. It has been estimated that 80% of New Orleans is underwater with some areas more than 20 feet under. At the time this image was taken, the water was still rising.
Emphasis mine.

Too sad for words now.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

plthijnx offers up this before/after:

The Associated Press has this clickable-zoomable version which is probably the best of all such items.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I am at a loss of words in reference to my feelings for these poor folks.
Someone said today: "build a city in a big hole and this is what you get".
Disaster doesn't cull anyone. I could be next. A hurricane spawned tornado killed a few folks 20 something miles from here. Mother Nature is cool, but can cop a bad ass attitude at times. I respect that.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Look and learn, boys and girls. When the shit hits the fan, you have to be self sufficient for a month before you can get help from the ponderous agencies that the government commands.
Most people are not prepared for a 24 hour power outage, let alone a tragedy of this magnitude.

Right from the git-go, they were saying things like it would take several days or a week to get the city services (sewer, water, pumps) back to normal. What were these people thinking? Haven't any of them seen the aftermath of a flood?

After you get rid of the water you have to deal with the mud, trash, furniture, rugs, etc. That's assuming the building is structually sound.
Then about a million gallons of bleach because everything's been soaked with sewage and oil. You can't live there while you're doing this either.

Scale this up to an entire city....a week.....try months. But first you have to move the people somewhere else. People that have lost all there possessions and their jobs for the most part. They'll need a hell of a lot more than sandwiches and bottled water......and quickly.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I got really sad when I found out that one of the best resturants, Pascal's - famous for their bar-ba-que shrimp, is probably submerged as we speak.
i got really sad today when i read that Fats Domino is probably submerged. He and his family chose to ride the storm out in their own home and nobody has heard from them since.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
cbane
Recruit or Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs
All I am seeing is pictures from Canal street, anyone know how the French Quarter faired?
I heard on the news the other day that the French Quarter was in better shape than most of the city, because it was the original part of the city, as is thus on higher ground. Google turned up this, which confirms it.

Also, while looking for confirmation, I found that Fats Domino survived.
cbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i got really sad today when i read that Fats Domino is probably submerged. He and his family chose to ride the storm out in their own home and nobody has heard from them since.
Good news. He's OK!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
Ero
Musician

For what it know; it seems like a REALLY BIG mess in NO... I've never saw an American person with a high function becoming so emotional and say f*ck as much an interview as I saw the New Orleans mayor say today. It certainly shows the mess of the situation.
By the way; i heard that anarchy has affected the area... I saw people plundering, I heard about gangs of rapists ravaging about the place, people shooting at rescue helicopters and even cops who have been looting stores... It is a big mess...

I live miles & miles away but it even makes me emotional... My sympathy is with all of you Americans.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero
----cut--. It is a big mess...

I live miles & miles away but it even makes me emotional... My sympathy is with all of you Americans.
Yes, yes, it is. It really really is. Thank you for your sympathy.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Vegeta
As far beyond mutants as they beyond you

Yes, NOLA Mayor Nagin's interview was heartbreaking but very impressive. I have a ton of respect for that guy after that--his righteous anger and lack of sugarcoating.

And thank you to Happy Monkey and cbane for posting the Fats Domino rescue article links. This has been an awful day for me, and not just because of New Orleans (which would be enough), so it helped immensely to have some fucking good news at last.

Last edited by Vegeta; 09-02-2005 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Link to Nagin interview
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote