The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #46
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'm speechless really. That's why I'm typing instead. I cannot understand the pathetic excuses and justifications some people here have for killing other people.

Murder is wrong full stop! Period! The end! Finito! There's nothing more to add!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #47
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
The Commandment proscribes wrongful killing, Jay. Even people who aren't Bible scholars know about that.
How very reactionary of you, UG. I read it. The word "wrongful" doesn't appear in my list of commandments. It's just not there. You can use it as an excuse to kill, as I suspect you must and you may, but you're just making (more) shit up. As usual.

As to wrongfulness, who's to judge? You're waaaay overdue for a plank-check, brother.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #48
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
The Commandment proscribes wrongful killing, Jay. Even people who aren't Bible scholars know about that.
Biblical scholars know the wording is actually "murder". "Kill" is a mistranslation.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #49
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

mmm.... these would be christian biblical scholars?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 AM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Murder is wrong full stop!
Why?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #51
Aliantha

Because no one has the right to life or death over another person.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #52
rkzenrage

You will want to avoid the thread about the kid that got raped... lot of unrepentant blood-lust in there too. Sounds like the eighteenth century.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #53
Aliantha

Well, here's something I'll share with you, and you can call me a hypocrite if you like when I'm done.

If anyone laid a hand on my kids, I'd kill them myself. Does that mean I've changed my mind or have double standards? Nope. I fully realize that what I'd be doing is wrong, and I'd pay the consequences for my actions willingly, and if there is a God, he'll be the one to judge me when the time comes, otherwise, I'll just have to come back again and learn the lesson I missed this time round.

No one touches my kids and that's about all there is to it.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:29 PM   #54
glatt

Quote:
Well, here's something I'll share with you, and you can call me a hypocrite if you like when I'm done.

If anyone laid a hand on my kids, I'd kill them myself.
Me too. And that makes sense. When it's your own kid, your opinions are based on your emotions, which are naturally strong when dealing with your flesh and blood. When you discuss public policy in general, you are able to let your brain do the work. It's the difference between mob mentality and rule of law.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
But who made that rule? What makes you state that as an absolute and not your opinion?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #56
Aliantha

I never said it was anything more than my opinion. Obviously it's not a fact because the death penalty exists in some place.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 AM   #57
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
You will want to avoid the thread about the kid that got raped... lot of unrepentant blood-lust in there too. Sounds like the eighteenth century.
I remember about ten or fifteen years ago there was a very disturbing case over here, where two children aged (if i recall correctly) 10 and 12 or thereabouts, lured a two year old who had become seperated from his mum in a shopping centre away, and then killed him.

The boys were caught on cctv talking to the toddler and holding his hand as they led him away from the shopping centre.

One of the things that stayed in my mind, was a terrifying scene as the boys were put into a police van and taken from the court back to the secure unit they were being held in. A mob had formed and attacked the van. Adults hurling themselves, and bricks and bottles at the van, screaming in a frenzy of bloodlust. I kept thinking to myself: I know what they've done is hideous, but these are still two children. two clearly very disturbed young boys. In interviews they were tearful, one of them broke down several times and wanted his mum. But the mob of adults, some of them probably with children the same age. looked as if they would tear these two kids limb from limb if they'd been able to get hold of them. It still makes me shiver when i think about it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #58
Flint
Snowflake

it's not set in stone...oh wait...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
But who made that rule? What makes you state that as an absolute and not your opinion?
Not everybody shares this opinion/follows this rule. Those who don't, are called "murderers" . . .
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #59
Aliantha

James Bulger was the little boys name. It was shocking. I will never forget this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I remember about ten or fifteen years ago there was a very disturbing case over here, where two children aged (if i recall correctly) 10 and 12 or thereabouts, lured a two year old who had become seperated from his mum in a shopping centre away, and then killed him.

The boys were caught on cctv talking to the toddler and holding his hand as they led him away from the shopping centre.

One of the things that stayed in my mind, was a terrifying scene as the boys were put into a police van and taken from the court back to the secure unit they were being held in. A mob had formed and attacked the van. Adults hurling themselves, and bricks and bottles at the van, screaming in a frenzy of bloodlust. I kept thinking to myself: I know what they've done is hideous, but these are still two children. two clearly very disturbed young boys. In interviews they were tearful, one of them broke down several times and wanted his mum. But the mob of adults, some of them probably with children the same age. looked as if they would tear these two kids limb from limb if they'd been able to get hold of them. It still makes me shiver when i think about it.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #60
rkzenrage

My wife and I have a pact.
If either of us gets murdered, the other does not get a lawyer that will consider the death penalty. If the state insisted, we would not participate.
We have discussed this more than once & we both know we have the strength of our convictions; having both had family members murdered in the past.
I would not for my son either & believe the same for her.
I teach him values that I must live, or all I have said to him, all I have tried to be for him, is a lie.
His legacy would not just be more senseless murder and to have his parents become murderers as well, no.