Old 07-18-2004, 08:53 AM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

We have a fair few women playing rugby over here
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:45 AM   #17
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Here in the states Football is still considered a "man's game" even though a sizable number of the fandom is made up of women. And no, it hasn't gone well for women who've tried to get into the pro-football circuit. Personally I think the men are just afraid of possibly being thoroughly clocked by a woman and having the world know about it.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #18
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*chuckles* indeed

In the UK sports are very divided along gender lines. Football is played by both but the women's game gets no real following, it's really only the traditional football leagues and clubs which attract popular attention and theyre male. The biggest sporting events in the UK and Europe are almost always male with the possible exception of tennis. Meanwhile the games traditionally seen as obvious womens' games such as netball or lacrosse are very much relegated to the school team in people's perceptions.....( in the UK a "school team" means children playing, not superfit well trained athletes who are watched by millions)
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #19
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
Personally I think the men are just afraid of possibly being thoroughly clocked by a woman and having the world know about it.

there is some truth to that. i played just about every sport out there and many of them with females. the only place i had problems was in wrestling (real wrestling, not the BS on tv.) one of our rival schools had a female that wrestled the same class that i did. it was a tough decision that i caught a lot of shit for, but i actually forfeited every time i came up against her. it was a no win situation for me. if she beat me, which is always a possiblity, i would have been ridiculed mercilessly. if i had beat her, i would have been ridiculed for beating up on a girl. it was just easier on me to forfeit. i felt bad for her though because she was pretty good but didn't get to wrestle very often because out of the 10 or so schools we competed against, at least 5 of us just forfeited rather than go up against her.

---------
in football, one of our rivals had a female offensive lineman and she knocked the shit out of me one time, and of course that made it into the game films for the next practice...

Last edited by lookout123; 07-23-2004 at 12:14 PM. Reason: afterthought
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #20
phillybilly
Belt Conveyor

RIGHT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
Rugby ROCKS !!!
football is for pussys !!!!!
I've never seen to many rugby matches (NOR PLAYED IN) that compared to the college football games I played...

Once I blew out my knee, I decided, since I was not medically cleared to ever play football again, to play rugby.....I was young what can I say...

First of...Rugby is ALL cardio.....the hitting isn't even a quarter of what football is....second of all.....our biggest player was MAYBE 6'1" 220, which made ME, second or third...(6 foot, 210....at the time )

So it is ALMOST comparing apples & oranges....the hitting in football is MUCH mor vicious then rugby, but you need to be in top cardo shape for rugging...another thing I used to say about guys who opted for rugby over football....this being Americans mind you....that they weren't SMART enough to play football.....in the three years I played rugby, we never had anything more then a piece of paper with a few 'set' playes on it...compared to an entire playbook I used in two & a half years as a college fullback, calling scheme, aduibles...etc......so my take.....form playing BOTH sports...

Football, much more violent and cerebral at the same time.....

Rugby, more instinctual & faster.....

But football players being PUSSIES??? You go tell the biggest rugger out there to tell that to a 6'7" 360lb NFL lineman.....I'm sure he'll decline

Later!!
phillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
there is some truth to that. i played just about every sport out there and many of them with females. the only place i had problems was in wrestling (real wrestling, not the BS on tv.) one of our rival schools had a female that wrestled the same class that i did. it was a tough decision that i caught a lot of shit for, but i actually forfeited every time i came up against her. it was a no win situation for me. if she beat me, which is always a possiblity, i would have been ridiculed mercilessly. if i had beat her, i would have been ridiculed for beating up on a girl. it was just easier on me to forfeit. i felt bad for her though because she was pretty good but didn't get to wrestle very often because out of the 10 or so schools we competed against, at least 5 of us just forfeited rather than go up against her.

---------
in football, one of our rivals had a female offensive lineman and she knocked the shit out of me one time, and of course that made it into the game films for the next practice...
wait just a goddamn minute.

you were school aged, i presume. and had the opportunity to wrestle with a girl, and you declined?

homo
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #22
LSMFT
Confounded Conjuror

I played rugby ONCE, just once in High School. I was cut from Varsity "tackle" football for being too small (yeah, thanx for waiting three years to tell me), so they put me on the Rugby team. First game, I wasn't ANYWHERE near the ball, and some neanderthal caved in my chest. I was immediately paralyzed, and somebody tried waving salts around my nose, which caused me to vomit my last 3 meals. That's when I became the lone member of the cycling club.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
*wonders if he made his point*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
*chuckles*
*guesses not*
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote