The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #31
Tulip
Professor

That's great to hear. I hope her other medical problems are getting better.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #32
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Lapro as in Laproscopically.
Yes, that.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Really pleased to hear about your Nan, Razz. And at least she can prepare your Mum for it.

Keep us up to date on how she gets on.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #34
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

It's been a month...and she's lost 30 lbs so far...

She looks soooo good, unfortunately her clothes are just HANGING off her, but she can't buy any new ones just yet! More to go...too quickly to spend the money, lol. She's off all of her diabetes medications, NO PILLS AT ALL woohooo
Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #35
Cloud

wow, that's great!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #36
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Update:
My meme is doing well, she's hit her first plateau and is in good spirits. It is so cute to watch the changes in her, you can see VISIBLY the mental changes taking place because of her new appearance. While she's been round shaped for probably more than half of her life, now she's got an hourglass figure. Before she wore only solid colored tops and plain cotton, now she's wearing cute button down shirts with embroidery, or a little bit of sparkle on her jeans. She's painting her nails and wearing all the beautiful jewelery she owns daily, rather than just when it's a "special occasion" it's an amazing transformation, and I'm so happy that she is happy.

My mom goes in tomorrow at 5:45 am for her surgery. Good thoughts/vibes/feelings/prayers are welcome.

Last edited by Razzmatazz13; 07-05-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Razzmatazz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #37
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

My prayers are with her and you.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #38
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Best thoughts to you and your Mum.

I've just read about an alternative to a gastric band, which is gastric band hypnosis.
Sadly, the only place I know that does it is in Fuengirola (Spain). That would be okay if it was a one-off, but you have to attend 4 sessions. The final session is the "operation" where they hypnotise you in a pseudo surgical setting. They pump in a clinical smell and have sounds of surgical instruments etc in the background.

Apparently your body reacts the same as if you have actually had the surgery. Safer, and only £800. Knowing me, my canny brain wouldn't believe it though, making it £800 loss rather than the 100lbs I want to shift.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #39
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Well, I hope it works out.

However, the thought of surgery made necessary because of a lifelong lack of discipline just horrifies me. It indicates that you have been a failure in a rather important part of your life: diet and exercise.

I mean guys and girls, here are the rules (not exactly made up by me): correct diet, which is not that difficult, and exercise regularly. None of this is rocket science, just self control.

If it gets to the point where you need surgery, it is because you have failed to follow some simple rules.

But the excuses for not exercising are all over the place, which is why we need lots of physical ed in the schools. I once suggested to my secretary that she take up running, since there was a dressing room at the office, and she said "But I would get sweaty and my makeup would run."

Anyway, I am 73 years old, and I have a bad back which keeps me from running, so I do the exercise bike and the elliptical trainer. I also work out on the machines, and can do some serious leg work in spite of nerve damage in my right leg, which causes a slight limp. I miss riding a real bike, but I still have the scars from falling when I was 55, and I am worried that at my age that same accident could cause much worse damage.

This is not about me, but I said that just to indicate that exercise and proper diet are not out of the question at just about any age.

Don't let this sort of thing happen to you.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #40
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Most people fail at something in their lives Joelnwil.
Relationships, parenting, addictive substances, financial control, living in a clean and tidy environment, making/ keeping friends etc etc.

For those that are "succeeding" it seems simple. Simple rules. Discipline. "What's wrong with you that you can't do it?" etc etc. Issues with over-eating are usually emotionally based. If you haven't experienced it then it's hard to know just what the difficulty is. All I can say is if someone is willing to take the risks of going under the knife, they have acknowledged their problem and are willing to suffer for it. And I admire them for that. They are taking away a source of comfort for themselves in the name of staying healthy and living longer. That is not an easy option.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #41
monster
I hear them call the tide

Razz, I hope she is recovering well. Now stop reading and skip to the next post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnwil View Post
Well, I hope it works out.

However, the thought of surgery made necessary because of a lifelong lack of discipline just horrifies me. It indicates that you have been a failure in a rather important part of your life: diet and exercise.

I mean guys and girls, here are the rules (not exactly made up by me): correct diet, which is not that difficult, and exercise regularly. None of this is rocket science, just self control.

If it gets to the point where you need surgery, it is because you have failed to follow some simple rules.

But the excuses for not exercising are all over the place, which is why we need lots of physical ed in the schools. I once suggested to my secretary that she take up running, since there was a dressing room at the office, and she said "But I would get sweaty and my makeup would run."

I'm sure Razz appreciates your good wishes and will pass your advice on to her diabetic mother as she recovers from the anaesthetic.

And you're damn lucky your secretary didn't sue you for harassment.

I'm sorry that your personal area of failure appears to be empathy towards other human beings, when all you need to do to not come off like an asshole are follow one simple rule. Ask yourself, is my self-absorped pre-prepared rant/advice going to help the OP in this case?

Clearly you experienced an epic fail here. I'll walk you through it for next time: In this case the OP is looking for emotional support as two close family members with diabetes undergo surgery. In what way is a rant about what failures her (diabetic) loved ones are appropriate here? hmmm? No, you're right, it isn't. It might be good advice, but go peddle it in a thread called "How to avoid Obesity the Joel Way". You might want to add having diabetes to the list of things not to do, too.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #42
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Best thoughts to you and your Mum.

I've just read about an alternative to a gastric band, which is gastric band hypnosis.
Sadly, the only place I know that does it is in Fuengirola (Spain). That would be okay if it was a one-off, but you have to attend 4 sessions. The final session is the "operation" where they hypnotise you in a pseudo surgical setting. They pump in a clinical smell and have sounds of surgical instruments etc in the background.

Apparently your body reacts the same as if you have actually had the surgery. Safer, and only £800. Knowing me, my canny brain wouldn't believe it though, making it £800 loss rather than the 100lbs I want to shift.
What if you paid in pennies?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #43
Pie
Gone and done

Razz, I hope your mother is recovering well. Best wishes to your family!

...And, for monnie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Clearly you experienced an epic fail here.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #44
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

So she must be out of recovery by now. How's she doing Razz? I guess she'll be on chicken soup for a few days? (I'm not really sure how these things actually work, but I think I heard somewhere that the diet afterwards is supposed to be high in liquid?)

Anyway, here's to hoping your mum has as much success as your gran.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #45
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Razz, I hope she is recovering well. Now stop reading and skip to the next post

I'm sure Razz appreciates your good wishes and will pass your advice on to her diabetic mother as she recovers from the anaesthetic.

And you're damn lucky your secretary didn't sue you for harassment.

I'm sorry that your personal area of failure appears to be empathy towards other human beings, when all you need to do to not come off like an asshole are follow one simple rule. Ask yourself, is my self-absorped pre-prepared rant/advice going to help the OP in this case?

Clearly you experienced an epic fail here. I'll walk you through it for next time: In this case the OP is looking for emotional support as two close family members with diabetes undergo surgery. In what way is a rant about what failures her (diabetic) loved ones are appropriate here? hmmm? No, you're right, it isn't. It might be good advice, but go peddle it in a thread called "How to avoid Obesity the Joel Way". You might want to add having diabetes to the list of things not to do, too.
I'll 2nd that. Very few people WANT to be overwight. And whatever reason they have for NOT eating well and/or dieting, whether it's physical limitations or mental, it's a valid limitation.
It's easy to say all you need is discipline or motivation and drive when you HAVE it, but don't assume that just because YOU do that everyone does.
Placing everyone into your definitions of what they should be is a sure sign of narrow-mindedness and fuzzy logic.