Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
One has to wonder how someone with such easily refutable credentials was able to get within pistol distance of the president
Obviously by invitation.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:53 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
I keep hoping for some sort of check to help start balancing this amazingly secretive, manipulative, powerful executive branch. Journalist,... Judge,... Representative,...anyone????
Well, we have been building this imperial Presidency a long time. It has a lot of momentum in its favor. Now let's say the Democrats ever win the White House, are they going to hand any power back to Congress or better yet to the people? Remember that the Repugs felt the same way about Clinton... Johnson... Truman... FDR and always increased Presidential power when they had their guys in place. This is too cheerful, I'm gonna grab a book and hit the sack.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:58 PM   #18
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

What happened is that the White House exploited 9/11 and grabbed whatever power it could in the following months. This will not be the first adminstration in the world to extend 'emergency powers' indefinitely, just the first in the U.S.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:52 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

And people think I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

According to X-Files lore, FEMA is the power behind the throne.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

They can do a lot of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with disaster management ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:54 AM   #22
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Let's not forget REX 84.

Pics?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
They can do a lot of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with disaster management ...
That's what Mulder said!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #24
iamthewalrus109
High Propagandist

The proceedings of Iran-Contra tell the tale

The major revelation about Rex 84 came in 1986/87 durning the Iran-Contra hearings. While discussing Oliver North's position, it was discovered and made known that in case of nuclear war, Oliver North would have effectively been given control of the US under the FEMA infrastructre for disaster operations, ie all out nuclear or biologic warfare. Obviously interment is nothing new, as seen in the WWII experience. The breadth of the federal government has become too expansive, and has only gotten worse since the Cold War, the last great expansion of its power, now with the "War on terror" essentially WWIV we should anticipate more complex and pernicious programs designed not to save the lives of average Americans, but simply to protect and prolong the soveirgnty of the US Federal government.

-Walrus
iamthewalrus109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #25
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

"Democracies always reflect a country's culture and customs and I know that," said Bush. "But they have certain things in common: they have rule of law, and protection of minorities, a free press and a viable political opposition. "

I'm sorry, but considering the Gerrymandering in Texas and the wall of silence the adminstration has constructed between itself and the press corps, I find that statement highly amusing.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote