The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What're you? Some kind of mollusc snob, or sump'n?

Fuckin' hippies, man...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Mmm ... Yum. Octopus is good. Best is grilled.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:31 AM   #18
SPUCK
Professor

Octopus in the house? We had two in the late 50s in an aquarium in our living-room. One day they were both found down the hallway about 20 feet from the tank dead dead dead.

There had always been a 1 inch heater hole in the top deck of the tank and what folks figured out was that the tank started to rust in a corner. In those days all tanks had metal corners with the glass sort of tarred into the chrome corners. The rusting metal drove the poor octopi out of the tank thru the heater hole.

I feel bad for them to this day..
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
Snakeadelic
Banned

The thing people forget about octopi is that they only have one inflexible body part, which is the beak they use to break open their food. There are no bones in their weight! Fill a quart freezer bag with water and dump it on a scale. Shave off 20% of the weight you get to account for all their muscle tissue, and you'll have roughly the weight of an octopus that would fit in that quart bag. Find someone good at math and have them figure out what volume any size octopus will fill by starting with its recorded weight (I just got home from almost 2 weeks on the road and my math brain has the dumbs right now...).

I'd rather wade through a pack of angry small dogs than try to deal with even one tentacle from a mature Pacific giant octopus. I've seen live ones in zoos and they are SCARY big. And all octopi are venomous as far as I know; their venom is a paralytic, not a narcotic. Few are lethal, but regardless of that an octopus bite sounds like a really bad day.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Scary does not equal dangerous. The Blue Ring Octopus is the only one that's a threat to humans.