The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #16
newtimer
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Ahhhhh.... China. The land of unregulated growth and destruction of their environment as they beg us to control green house gas while they build a new coal fired plant each week. Not surprising.
...and where the natives insist on cranking up their air-conditioners in the summer, while all the windows in the house are open for "fresh" air. But if we point out the lack of logic, then we're criticised for being intolerant of another culture and pushing our western views on a poor, developing nation!
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #17
SPUCK
Professor

Great now even the airliners will smell like french fries..
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
Imigo Jones
Tornado Ali

Location: Used to be woods in town on prairie; now Emerald City
Qīng He

Happy Father's Day!
Over the weekend I watched The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. Afterwards we went downtown and had a beer.

I mean I watched the movie starring them. Part of the movie's action takes place in downtown Chicago on St. Patrick's Day , and a short establishing shot was very similar to this pic I posted the other day on page 1:

Right: Pic to fill space to right of pic under discussion

The river-dyeing boat was making the exact same curlicue, probably in front of the same bridge. Son of a gun--I'm going to fast-forward the tape and find that shot again. . . .

1. The main difference is that in the movie the river is already very green, so you don't totally get that it was the guys in the boat dyeing it and mixing it.

2. Also, in the pic the boat is stationary in the frame, whereas in the movie it is in motion.

3. In the pic the boat is just east of the State Street Bridge (we're looking west). In the movie the boat is just east of the Dearborn Avenue Bridge, the next bridge west in the pic.

4. The still camera is way up, plus over a block away from the boat, probably shooting out a window in the 360 N. Michigan Building (SW corner of Wacker & Michigan; the building lines up with the river like this because of the northward bend in the river starting in the bottom left of the pic). The movie camera is right down on the State Street Bridge, less than a block away from the boat, and toward the bridge's north end (in the pic this is the nearest bridge, and toward that bridgetender's "house" at right, between us and Marina City).

5. Both shots are toward the west, but the movie shot starts by looking SW toward Dearborn & Wacker, then pans right, following the boat, to look almost straight W.

6. The boats are making almost the exact same curlicue, but in the movie the boat swings out farther to the right (north). Since the camera is near the N end of the State Street Bridge, it still doesn't pan right enough to show any buildings on the north bank of the river (notably in pic, Marina City).

7. While panning right, the movie camera also tilts up a bit, so the end of the movie shot and the pic both show the warehouses and smokestacks in the distance, past Wolf Point (where the North and South Branches of the Chicago River join to form the Main Stem).

8. The Fugitive was released in 1993. The pic isn't too new, either, because this Wolf Point vista (7) is now horribly blocked off by the blah, 38-story Riverbend Condominiums (built 2000-2002). It doesn't look like the Smith & Wollensky restaurant has been plopped down onto the Marina City plaza yet (mid-'90s?), either.

Been doing it since 1962; don't know when they started doing it at Chengchow (Zhèngzhōu).

To read all about dyeing the river and see three St. Paddy's Days' worth of pics, plus stuff on other Irish traditions in Chicago, this woman with a Chicago architecture blog is the hostess with the mostes':
http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/stpat/stpat.htm
http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/stpat/08stpat.htm
Imigo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #19
Imigo Jones
Tornado Ali

You are correct, sirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary
Ahhhhh.... China. The land of unregulated growth and destruction of their environment as they beg us to control green house gas while they build a new coal fired plant each week. Not surprising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtimer
...and where the natives insist on cranking up their air-conditioners in the summer, while all the windows in the house are open for "fresh" air.
Excerpts from a NY Times article (hence the font):

China Increases Lead as Biggest Carbon Dioxide Emitter
By ELISABETH ROSENTHAL
Published: June 14, 2008

China has clearly overtaken the United States as the world’s leading emitter of carbon dioxide, the main heat-trapping gas, a new study has found, its emissions increasing 8 percent in 2007. The Chinese increase accounted for two-thirds of the growth in the year’s global greenhouse gas emissions, the study found.

The report, released Friday by the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, found that in 2007 China’s emissions were 14 percent higher than those of the United States. In the previous year’s annual study, the researchers found for the first time that China had become the world’s leading emitter, with carbon emissions 7 percent higher by volume than the United States in 2006. . . .

China is heavily dependent on coal and has seen its most rapid growth in some of the world’s most heavily polluting industrial sectors: cement, aluminum and plate glass. Twenty percent of China’s emissions come from its cement kilns, essential for its construction boom and likely to be working overtime this year amid preparations for the Olympics and rebuilding after last month’s devastating earthquake. . . .

Beijing, shrouded in smog on Friday, has heavy air pollution, as does much of the rest of China. (Guang Niu/Getty Images) [Looks fun to run in.]

The United States still has a vast lead in carbon dioxide emissions per person. The average American is responsible for 19.4 tons. Average emissions per person in Russia are 11.8 tons; in the European Union, 8.6 tons; China, 5.1 tons; and India, 1.8 tons. . . .

Eighty percent of the world’s coal demand comes from China, according to the International Energy Agency.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #20
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

snip" The United States still has a vast lead in carbon dioxide emissions per person. The average American is responsible for 19.4 tons." snip
!9.4 tons per person per year? per minute, per lifetime? Is that CO2 counting exhalation? And who's been here measuring my CO2 anyway. If I can make 19.4 tons float in the atmosphere, I don't think we have an energy crisis anymore. I think this is just more nonsense, trying to make America look bad because we succeed more than any other system out there, and have been for 200 years.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imigo Jones View Post
1. The main difference is that in the movie the river is already very green, so you don't totally get that it was the guys in the boat dyeing it and mixing it.
If one is from Chicago, one knows exactly what the boat in the very green river means.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
Imigo Jones
Tornado Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
snip" The United States still has a vast lead in carbon dioxide emissions per person. The average American is responsible for 19.4 tons." snip
!9.4 tons per person per year? per minute, per lifetime? Is that CO2 counting exhalation? And who's been here measuring my CO2 anyway. If I can make 19.4 tons float in the atmosphere, I don't think we have an energy crisis anymore. I think this is just more nonsense, trying to make America look bad because we succeed more than any other system out there, and have been for 200 years.
Since the thrust of the article was on annual national totals, spudcon, it might be assumed that the per capita figures were annual, too, but that sure seems like a lot. I don't disagree that much of the world likes to do what they can "to make America look bad because we succeed," but let's see what the numbers seem to mean:
19.4 tons/year = 38,800 pounds / 365.25 days = 106.23 pounds/day

Since this is carbon dioxide, not pounds of solid coal equivalent or something, it seems preposterously high. Let's see what the figures would mean if applied to an 80-year lifetime:
19.4 tons / lifetime = 38,800 pounds / 80 years = 485 pounds/year = 1.33 pounds/day

That seems more like it--good catch, spudcon. (I wanted to give you a gold star, but the closest thing in the smiley list is the Vietnamese flag.)

It's be nice if the Times appended a clarification to the online article sometime soon.

I sure wouldn't doubt, though, that relative to the other nations listed, the U.S. per cap average is really, really high, as suggested by the numbers, lifetime or whatever. Much of this production represents an amazing benefit to the whole world, and the rest of the world doesn't seem to say, "I love you," enough. They might be grudgingly thinking it every now and then, like when another pop tart springs out into the world from Disney like Athena from the head of Zeus.

A star is born--from the minds of Imagineers--to benefit an impressed mankind.

Still, it'd be nice to hear those three little words every now and then.

Maybe they do try to tell us, but our "U.S.A.! U.S.A.!" chant drowns out their tender, attractively accented whispers. One has to admit, in any case, that a lot of American production and consumption is a colossal, screeching waste of, of, everything. I hate to see a jillion rampantly materialistic Chinese surpassing that as a whole, or start to approach it per capita.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

That data seems to be tons/person/year.

Here's CO2 emissions data for about 40 countries for 2002, along with GNP per capita.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

So, HLJ, how does that graph have credibility, given what Imigo computed of 106.23 pounds per day per American. That figure will be higher yet, if you consider children too young to have access to CO2 emitting equipment. But still, even 106+lbs a day is ridiclous.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's not what you personally produce. It's your share of all the power plant's output, your share of all the motor vehicles, trains and planes, your share of all the concrete production and construction. It adds up to nearly 20 tons per person, per year.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #26
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
your share of all the concrete production and construction.
We all know China has a lot of construction going on, but check out this graph of concrete use in 2007 by country. This is not per capita, but overall. Based on this data.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #27
onetrack
Coronation Incarnate

I've never had it fully explained to me yet (but maybe Al Gore can produce the explanation - he does that well, with glib answers for most things that are difficult to explain) .. how Carbon Dioxide, which is a heavier-than-air gas .. can climb to sufficient stratospheric heights, and in sufficient quantities, to act as a global warming agent .. ??

Note the simple explanation on the following site .. and I quote ..

CO2 gas is 1.5 times as heavy as air, thus if released to the air it will concentrate at low elevations.

http://www.uigi.com/carbondioxide.html (it's towards the bottom of the first text box ..)

Now, I notice on the following, MI university, glib GW site .. no mention ANYWHERE of Carbon Dioxide being 1.5 times as heavy as air .. and concentrating at LOW ELEVATIONS .. ??

Global Warming Horror .. http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/society/greenhouse.htm

Maybe I missed something in science class?? .. maybe it was when I was asleep?? .. or maybe when it was I was too busy admiring how shapely, and how long, the legs were, on Miss Snorks .. ??
Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #28
glatt

Air gets mixed up by wind.

See the "Cloud Wake" IOTD.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #29
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's not what you personally produce. It's your share of all the power plant's output, your share of all the motor vehicles, trains and planes, your share of all the concrete production and construction. It adds up to nearly 20 tons per person, per year.
I think I see how this works. We(theUS) put 20 tons of CO2 per year per capita in tha atmosphere, while China, which has a very huge population, are, for the moment, is charge with only 2 tons per year per capita. What about the actual readings per country?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #30
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I was correct, according to Wikipedia.
Until recently the United States was the largest emitter of carbon dioxide emissions.[1] According to preliminary estimates China has been the top emitter since 2006.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xide_emissions