The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 6, 2009: Flaming Canada

Quote:
After departing Athens, Greece on October 30th, the Olympic Flame has been traveling across Canada, now about 1/3 of the way into its 106-day, 26,000 km overland relay (another 18,000 km by air).
The flame left Greece, not on a torch, but in a Miner's lamp. Actually six Miner's Lamps, 'cause shit happens, ya know.

Hmm, 2+4+2 seating... looks like it was flying coach, too... maybe business.

Quote:
Over 12,000 torch-bearers will carry the flame along a winding path covering all of Canada, passing through over 1,000 communities total - from Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary to smaller communities such as Gwa'Sala-Nakwaxda'xw, Notre-Dame-du-Lac, Moose Jaw and Sheshatshiu. The final destination: Vancouver's BC Place on February 12, 2010, where it will light the Olympic Cauldron and signal the start of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.
That flame has traveled by plane, rowed shell, native boat, bicycle, snowshoes, wheelchair, snow grooming machine, surfboard, bus, dog sled and lots of happy feet, so far, with many more miles to go.

Everybody's talkin' 'bout it.

Lots of great pictures at Boston.Com
Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
SPUCK
Professor

That is just sooooOOOOooo stoopid.
These idiots have nothing better to do than spend people's money illegally flying fire around on airliners?

-------------------------------------------------
Screw that-I'm gonna to go watch TV.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

But it gives children everywhere a chance to see and be inspired by the Olympic dream! Won't you please think of the children slow roasted over the six lamps with a garlic butter sauce.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
newtimer
Operations Operative

How in the world did they manage to get those 3 little burning, bomb-looking devices past airport security? I get my toothpaste and toenail clippers confiscated by those bastards.
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have a feeling that transferring the Olympic flame by air is perhaps not illegal?
Call me old Mrs Cynical if you like, but the fact it's pretty high profile makes it unlikely it was smuggled up some Arab's dishdash.

Oh and Spuck - how bout disbanding the NFL and giving all the money those silly men earn running around to disabled people instead. In fact, those muscly young men would be perfect for pushing wheelchairs and getting old people in and out of the bath

Cheers for the photos. Bruce.
Can't wait til it gets here in less than three years time!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder if those clear plastic shields/clips fitted to the seats, were something designed for this Olympics, or something they've used in the past?
Specially made, I'd assume, as there can't be that much call for carrying Miner's Lamps on airplanes.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

How'd they get that shit through security?

Oh, wait, started in Athens. Terrorists always get on the plane in Athens. Never mind.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

Quote:
Actually six Miner's Lamps, 'cause shit happens, ya know.
I appreciate the attempt at building in some redundancy in case a couple of lamps fail, but it seems dumb to have six identical lamps. A single design flaw could make them all fail. It would have been more sensible to have multiple types of lamp / torch / firey thing.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
...how bout disbanding the NFL and giving all the money those silly men earn running around to disabled people instead.
SG: Football...That's crazytalk...Baseball, now there's where ya pick up the bucks!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Kasszia
Lurking for fun and profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Oh and Spuck - how bout disbanding the NFL and giving all the money those silly men earn running around to disabled people instead. In fact, those muscly young men would be perfect for pushing wheelchairs and getting old people in and out of the bath
If that happens, I foresee some of us girls getting 'disabled and old'....
Kasszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
I appreciate the attempt at building in some redundancy in case a couple of lamps fail, but it seems dumb to have six identical lamps. A single design flaw could make them all fail. It would have been more sensible to have multiple types of lamp / torch / firey thing.
The design of the lamp is not a problem, it's been around for 200 years. And I'm sure those particular lamps have been carefully hand built and tested to the strictest standards. The flight from Greece isn't the problem, it's the trek around Canada, 26,000km by land, 18,000km by air, and being handled by at least 12,000 people that are pumped up, in winter weather. Plenty of opportunity for, "shit happens".
Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
SPUCK
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
But it gives children everywhere a chance to see and be inspired by the Olympic dream! Won't you please think of the children slow roasted over the six lamps with a garlic butter sauce.

Zen that cracked me up totally!

And so if the plane crashes they what? Run someone to the plane to light a new torch off the burning wreckage that was ignited by the smashed miner lamps.. I see, very clever.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote