The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #136
jinx
Come on, cat.

I had a pretty long conversation with my trainer about those shoes today and found out that he's not a fan. He was adamant that you should never run in them, and seemed to indicate that they were kind of silly in general. In his opinion, running barefoot is the best thing you can do do because it forces you to have correct form, unlike modern running shoes which encourage bad form with over cushioning.

I tried them on at The Walking co and thought they were ridiculous feeling and looking and knew I'd never wear them. The shoes themselves fit weird, like they were too big and on the wrong feet... so I mentioned that I might try out the Fit Flops. The sales lady went off on how the Fit Flops are crap, that they don't keep you off balance like the MBTs and are really just a comfortable, extra cushy flip flop. She really wanted me to buy over priced inserts though so her credibility was not so much...

My 2 cents; don't go out and buy a bunch of crap to get in shape with. Keep it simple and honest and you'll see results. If you're going to spend money on anything, make it a few sessions with a trainer to learn correct form and how to maximize your efforts.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #137
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
My 2 cents; don't go out and buy a bunch of crap to get in shape with. Keep it simple and honest and you'll see results. If you're going to spend money on anything, make it a few sessions with a trainer to learn correct form and how to maximize your efforts.
Couldn't agree more. also, choose the sport/exercise first, try it out and then ascertain what stuff you really need to pursue it -if indeed you want to. I walk. Turns out I hate walking in sneakers so good job I didn't lay out a whole load of dosh on them. I walk in cheapo sports sandals. But then I started tennis and sandals don't work so much and my regular sneakers didn't have enough bounce. So i went and found some that did. But had I shopped before I started in both cases I would have bought the wrong thing.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #138
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

I decided you're right... and I'm holding off...

We are done with the Flush and tomorrow will begin the Detox phase... now we get to incorporate lentils... Flint is thrilled... I've found that I have very little interest in food at the moment and not thinking of seconds is not an issue ... not currently anyway.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #139
Pooka

Update: we are done with detox and now ... eating healty... still just whole grains... I haven't lost any more... but I attribute that to the fact that we are actually eating now. I feel pretty good about my food choices and have not had any cravings. I'm no longer planing meals in advance... this seems to help. If I just wait until the last minute and dissmiss other thoughts of food throughout the day I don't give myself opportunity to obsess.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #140
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #141
jinx
Come on, cat.

How's it going weight-losing folks?

If anyone wants me to forward them the somewhat interesting stuff I occasionally get from my trainer, PM me your email. He just sent me articles on glute strength (with assesment and strenghtening exercises) and basic nutrition...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #142
Pooka

Ok... we had a new stove installed... we were switching to gas and hit a major snag... the gas line had to be relaid. and we found this out Friday... so were without a stove until the evening of the following Monday... the next week was leeding up to our daughter's b-day... and then Flint got sick... so,... there are all my excuses. This weekend I'm starting over AGAIN. But all in all I'd have to say I really didn't do too bad even with all the set backs. Still... I'm afraid of that scale.