The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Daily Show

I first got interested in the Daily Show during election 2000, so it's been almost four years. And I would like to ask, does The Daily Show with Jon Stewart not kick every kind of ass?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
jinx
Come on, cat.

Yes. Yes it does.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Pie
Gone and done

As I said to my husband last night, "I'd be laughing my ass off if I weren't crying instead."
- Pie
Old 07-28-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Happy Monkey

I do believe that Carter deserves the Nobel "You Wanna Piece of this" Prize.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I even used to watch back in the old days, with Craig Kilborn. (He left to have his own latenight show on a network, don't know if it's still on.) I was disappointed at first when Jon Stewart started, but they have truly taken the show and turned it into something incredible. The last 5 years or so have been pure gold.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They are in a down period right now from my POV. At one time the emphasis was on actual news parody and great correspondents. Brian Unger was the best correspondent of all of them, for parody purposes. Well I guess Stephen Colbert is equal to it. These days the show is dropping into self-indulgent partisan stuff too quickly IMO and it weakens its nature as a news parody. Jon Stewart is almost too big because he's almost too good at it to run full-out parody.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hot damn, I would have Stephen Colbert's children...

But I agree, it's gotten way more partisan than it used to be.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #8
Happy Monkey

The world has gotten more partisan than it used to be.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 08-24-2004, 06:15 PM   #9
Happy Monkey

Kerry's on tonight's episode.

Should be interesting.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 08-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I love the Daily Show, although I've not seen the earlier stuff to be able to make much of a comparison. I don't have cable, so I download the episodes. I'm not very clear on the legality of this, as Jon once begged on air for people to steal episodes of his show (which probably doesn't count for anything, but what the hell.) Regardless, <a href="http://tracker.shuntv.net/">ShunTV</a> is one of the best <a href="http://www.bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/">BitTorrent</a> trackers ever. They get the shows up within 48 hours, typically, and once they've been out for an hour you can get them about as fast as your connection (within reason, I suppose) allows. For me, it's in less time than it would take to watch the episode. Additionally, they have none of the ads-bullshit that suprnova and other, broader BitTorrent trackers pull.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #11
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Well, my view as to any partisanship as I explained it to my family - and incidentally, Stewart explained it the same way last night when Ed Gillespie (sp?) was on the show - is that, quite simply, the Republicans control the government right now. Republicans have the Oval Office, the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, and I think something like 60% of state governorships. Since they have such a dominance on the public eye, they're the ones offering up the most targets for Stewart & Co. to fire at.

When you watch the show as long as I have, you notice well that Stewart doesn't shy away from taking shots at Kerry and Democrats in general when they offer a chance. Case in point: I forget the exact text of the joke, but I remember he took a shot at Kerry on Monday's show, when Kerry himself was to be the guest the next night. That Daily Show busts on Republicans more than Democrats or others is more a result of the law of large numbers than any partisanship.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:49 AM   #12
BornAZombie
Sibling of the Commonweal

i got tickets to see the daily show and we waited around for hours on line then hours waiting to be ushered into the studio. the show went by so fast compared to all the buisness that they put us through before. the crew was telling us constantly that we had to laugh really loud all the time, OR ELSE.
fun time tho, the studio is ALOT smaller than it seems on tv. then, isnt everything
BornAZombie is offline   Reply With Quote