The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-02-2003, 10:38 PM   #16
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

In Texas, we have 35mph in residential areas, 20mph when the kids are going to/coming out of school. 45 or 55 mph in divided highways around residential areas, 65 on state highways and 70mph on interstates (IH-35 and the like).

Don't for forget - Click it or ticket.

Last edited by That Guy; 06-02-2003 at 10:40 PM.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:27 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by arz

They are fun to drive, but I swear Germans drive as crazy as anyone else; they do 200 kph in the rain and accidents on the autobahns are nasty affairs, nastier than US interstates, I'll wager.
The Germans are the ones who came up with the idea of using a helicopter for medevac from highway accidents. With the number of highspeed crashes that happen on the autobahn, they needed it.

Many of the original American medevac choppers (including the first US one at Shocktrauma in MD were Messerschmitts, which have a jet-assist.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:27 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Didja see that one where the woman's eyes turn into car headlights?
I think it was the mushrooms.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:41 PM   #19
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
And advance sensor drones that fly ahead of the car to check out conditions ahead.
And here I thought I was the only one who had that idea! Although I was thinking more for speed-trap detection...
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:10 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Heck, I'm ready for complete auto-control of some kind. I hate driving... it's wasted time as far as I'm concerned that could be better spent reading or sleeping.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #21
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I find driving to be highly enjoyable under the right circumstances... driving my Camaro SS up a windy canyon on a warm summer night with the T-Tops off and a little Dean Martin in the CD player... good stuff. Especially with some good company and conversation under the stars.

I actually love driving, sometimes I do it just for the sake of doing it. But that would not be my only oddity. I think I have one other. Oddity, I mean.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Although I was thinking more for speed-trap detection...
Search and destroy.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:38 PM   #23
warch
lurkin old school

I would love an efficient, highspeed rail right down the Mississippi. Mpls to Chicago, St Louis, swing through TX to New Orleans. I would buy a frequent bar car pass.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:22 PM   #24
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
I would love an efficient, highspeed rail right down the Mississippi. Mpls to Chicago, St Louis, swing through TX to New Orleans. I would buy a frequent bar car pass.
That was my previous rant/idea on my site. See www link below.
Basically it was the idea that the airlines could purchase and run bullet/HST commuter trains. They look like wingless airliners already.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #25
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
Basically it was the idea that the airlines could purchase and run bullet/HST commuter trains. They look like wingless airliners already.
Unless Southwest is running them, I don't think I'd trust the airlines running trains.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 02:53 AM   #26
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Unless Southwest is running them, I don't think I'd trust the airlines running trains.
I'm hoping that having the 'wingless plane' on a track going one way would be easy enough for them to grasp, but hey, I've been wrong before.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Can you say HEAD ON.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:35 AM   #28
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Rail is a fairly effective way to transport goods and people between major cities in this exceptionally large country, however, rail don't make no money. Amtrak only exists because of government subsidies. They've been running at a loss from the day they started, which, IIRC, resulted from the bankruptcy of Penn Central.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:53 AM   #29
Tobiasly
hot

I'm with you Pastrami; I love driving. Especially if I'm by myself and don't have to worry about whether anyone else likes whatever music I'm listening too or whether it's too hot or cold or windy. Just me and the road with the windows down, the sunroof open, and the music up.

OK, maybe my dog can come too.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:26 AM   #30
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Amtrak only exists because of government subsidies.
As opposed to the airlines and the auto industry!

Don't get me wrong, Amtrak needs to clean up its act and get rid of some useless routes. But let's not pretend that competing modes of transportation are self-sufficient. The ultimate government subsidy to the auto industry and everybody who owns a car is all the taxpayer money that's used for road construction and maintenance.

Here's an example of what's wrong with Amtrak. Let's say I want to visit the in-laws in Chicago. Philadelphia to Chicago roundtrip is $210 for Amtrak, $230 to fly. But that plane trip takes about 2 1/4 hours, while the Amtrak ride will take 18 1/2 hours to get there! "But Steve," you say, "that's not fair. You can go hop on the train tomorrow and pay $210. That air fare is a 21-day advance purchase." OK, fine, if I leave for Chicago tomorrow and return Monday, the same dates I picked for my train trip, I can do it for $506. That's more competitive in Amtrak's favor, but I suspect the majority of the people who are in a position where they absolutely have to buy a ticket now to leave tomorrow will choose to spend more money rather than deal with a 37-hour round trip.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote