The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 4, 2010: Red Bees

Red bees, not to be confused with commie pinko bees, on the state collectives in Mother Russia.
No, the Red bees are American, and live in New York City, which sounds strange, but there is an urban farming movement afoot. Urbanites are growing fruits and veggies in vacant lots, on rooftops, and even window boxes.

Quote:
Cerise Mayo expected better of her bees. She had raised them right, given them all the best opportunities — acres of urban farmland strewn with fruits and vegetables, a bounty of natural nectar and pollen. Blinded by devotion, she assumed they shared her values: a fidelity to the land, to food sources free of high-fructose corn syrup and artificial food coloring.
But they started producing red honey, in fact in the sunlight the bees appeared red.

Quote:
“I thought maybe it was coming from some kind of weird tree, maybe a sumac,” said Ms. Mayo, who tends seven hives for Added Value, an education nonprofit in Red Hook. “We were at a loss.”
Well no, it was coming from Dell’s Maraschino Cherries Company over on Dikeman Street, in Red Hook.

Quote:
“I didn’t want to believe it,” said Ms. Mayo, a soft-spoken young woman who has long been active in the slow-food movement. She found it particularly hard to believe that the bees would travel all the way from Governors Island to gorge themselves on junk food. “Why would they go to the cherry factory,” she said, “when there’s a lot for them to forage right there on the farm?”
You see, Ms Mayo, you may choose a Prius, Volt, or bicycle, but nature/bees will go straight for the 93 octane every time. Maximum return on their effort, with no compulsion for philosophy, only next winter's survival.

link
Old 12-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
SPUCK
Professor

Damn! I'd love that honey. They should stop whining and take it main stream.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

This is making me very happy

Clueless hippie: "Why would the children go all the way over there to eat chocolate
when there's plenty of brussel sprouts and cauliflower for them to forage right here,"

Yeah. It's a real mystery.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
newtimer
Operations Operative

That hippie chick needs to shave her mustache.
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote