The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yum... Pie

I’d say for a house party, not trick-or-treaters

Creepy Rhubarb "Eye" Pies

Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes

Makes 16 pies
5-6 sheets shortcrust pastry, thawed but then kept in the fridge so it doesn't go floppy
1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and cut into pieces
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water
a dozen pitted, frozen cherries (do not thaw)
White on white edible paint and a fine paintbrush

Step 1 - Preheat oven to 210C/410F and have your pie tins ready (I prefer these to cupcake trays as they are shallower which makes pressing pre-made dough easier). First make the base and pre-bake it so that it cooks completely.
Cut out rounds of shortcrust pastry for the bases as large as your pie tins (you won't use all the sheets, around 3-4). Dock holes at the bottom and bake for 15 minutes.

Step 2 - In the meantime place the rhubarb and water into a saucepan and heat. Allow to soften, it won't take very long and then add the sugar and vanilla. Taste for sweetness adding more if you want.
Strain and cool the rhubarb (the rhubarb syrup is delicious with soda water).

Step 3 - Fill the pastry bases with the rhubarb. Then cut out fluted rounds in the shortcrust pastry for the top. Secure to the base brushing with the egg wash mixture.

Step 4 - Halve the cherries and check their size. Cut out small rounds that are big enough to wrap around the cherry and cut these in half to form half moons or "eyelids" and gently with a knife, cut a little line for a double eyelid.

Step 5 - Brush the tops of the pies with egg wash and then place half cherry and then gently press the "eyelid" into place. Brush egg wash on the eyelid and bake for 15 minutes.
When cool, draw a white line under the cherry eye and a tiny dot.
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pie, yep I'm a pie guy, pie over cake even though it's usually more trouble to serve and eat requiring a dish
and fork, at least in someone else's house. But that said, what are these people thinking?
It must have taken hours to make them look like that. It delays the scarfing while everyone oohs and ahhs,
plus we can't cut them before Myrtle gets here and she's always late.

Name:  pie.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  112.4 KB

Besides, they could have used the time spent making them look all fancy to do something of real value...
make more pies.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:20 AM   #3
EJ1997
Kinda New Member

Holy fuzzy cats Bruce!!
That is real culinary art. I love to bake but I have no art skill whatsoever. My pies are tasty but they DO NOT look like that! How on earth do you make such beautiful creations? Those fish-like scales or the mosaic? I mean wow!
The rhubarb eye pie is mastery as well. Do you think I could change rhubarb for cherries? More important frozen ones? It is not a rhubarb season here but I would love to give it a shot nonetheless. Just need a substitute. So cherries? Strawberries? What do you think?

--------------------
So much to do and so little time!

Last edited by glatt; 03-18-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Removed spam link in first post.
EJ1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Dang. Now I want pie.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ1997 View Post
Holy fuzzy cats Bruce!!
That is real culinary art. I love to bake but I have no art skill whatsoever. My pies are tasty but they DO NOT look like that! How on earth do you make such beautiful creations? Those fish-like scales or the mosaic? I mean wow!
The rhubarb eye pie is mastery as well. Do you think I could change rhubarb for cherries? More important frozen ones? It is not a rhubarb season here but I would love to give it a shot nonetheless. Just need a substitute. So cherries? Strawberries? What do you think?

--------------------
So much to do and so little time!
Hi EJ1997,

You posted an obvious spam link at the bottom of your first post, but your grasp of English and comment that is actually very much on topic and original has me confused. Normally, I would ban you without a second thought for the spam link, but I'm going to give you a second chance. No more spam links, please.

Keep posting thoughtful comments, and welcome to the Cellar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ1997 View Post
How on earth do you make such beautiful creations?
He makes extensive use of the internet.

Extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Dang. Now I want pie.
Also, this.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

I made my wishes known. Apple crisp is on the menu!
Old 08-11-2020, 12:05 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Blueberry Hand Pies sound like a lot of work to me.
But I'm still trying to figure out why they make round pizza to go in a square box to be eaten in triangles, so what the hell do I know.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But I'm still trying to figure out why they make round pizza to go in a square box to be eaten in triangles, so what the hell do I know.
Hmm... Pythagoreanism?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Blueberry Hand Pies...
My stomach growled when I read those words...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote