The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-07-2002, 12:44 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/7: Woman buried alive in rubble, rescued

A 20-year-old woman is rescued - RESCUED! - from the ruins of a fireworks factory in Waizai, in China's Jiangxi province.

The explosion ripped through the factory the night before, killing nine people and injuring 60 others. So she was under all that but alive, for quite a long time...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #2
Joe
Master of the Domain

Is it just me

Or does the rescued person not seem to be moving very much.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

You're thinking of television Joe. This is what is called a still photo.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:49 PM   #4
Bitman
cellar smellar

I don't mean to seem crass, but that picture is kinda funny .. The debris is all paper tubes and wrappers! Wimpy, compared to the WTC.

On the other hand, it's kinda creepy .. it looks like she's been assimilated into the ground. Like Han Solo and carbonite.

-B
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:02 AM   #5
Nic Name
retired

Don't be an idiot.

It was a fireworks factory.

What you're not seeing is the explosion!

If the WTC disaster didn't teach you that every loss of life is a tragedy, and any such rescue a miracle, you haven't been thinking enough lately.

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-09-2002 at 12:34 AM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:20 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

My local radio reported that the Chinese gov is talking about banning fireworks in the province. Think about that for a second.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:56 AM   #7
Nic Name
retired

Only hours after the recent fireworks tragedy in Peru, President Alejandro Toledo declared a ban on fireworks imports and production.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:08 PM   #8
Joe
Master of the Domain

Safety first, kids.

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...0/1733991.stm/

Quote:
5 August, China: At least 21 people are killed and 25 others are injured in an explosion at an illegal fireworks factory in China's Jiangxi
province. Officials say the blast, which destroyed a five-storey building, was probably caused by a dropped cigarette.
OK if you're going to be handling buckets of finely milled black powder, assorted oxidizers and all kinds of explosive fireworks mixtures and such, please be courteous and keep a firm grip on your lit cigarette.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:48 PM   #9
node
Pithy Euphemist

Public fireworks sales were, unless I'm remembering wrong (I left there aged 10 with my parents), banned in Australia some time in the 80s. Someone was killed in an accident and they just decided to prevent anything like it ever happening again. That's probably why they try to make the public firework displays (which are still allowed but strictly controlled) all the more impressive at New Years and the like.

Pete
node is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:30 PM   #10
hertz
Dry Nurse

Quote:
Originally posted by node
Public fireworks sales were, unless I'm remembering wrong (I left there aged 10 with my parents), banned in Australia some time in the 80s. Someone was killed in an accident and they just decided to prevent anything like it ever happening again.
A sensible idea, except that it didn't work.

It sounds like everyone involved (except Dominique and the other victims) had something to answer for:
  • The supplier had to give a copy of the regulations to the guy purchasing the fireworks.
  • The guy purchasing the fireworks had other fireworks in his kit that he wasn't licensed to use.
  • Everyone else pipes up and agrees that licensing criteria are too lax.
You can have all the licenses and restrictions you want. If you give them to unqualified operators, then it's all for naught.
hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #11
Nic Name
retired

Cross-referencing threads ...

After celebrating New Year's Eve with a massive fireworks display at Sydney Harbor, residents went to sleep with the smell of the bushfire smoke that blankets the city each night as winds drop.