The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Okay, but no. What kind of car should *I* buy?

Since you all did such a bang up job of helping Lola pick out an awesome car, I'm tapping all y'all for all y'all's opinion(s).

It's a little early yet but so far, the ins co will give me 2300 for the car and I get the snows, maybe I can get 75% of their cost to me. (~$525.)

I am going to talk to the bank today about whether I can get a car loan. It's parts or payments and I prefer payments, and the certainty they offer, to parts at this point.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
glatt

This isn't so much a question about cars as it is a question about how you want to structure your life right now and the financial decisions you make that will live with you for years to come.

Spending a few bucks on a junker car that you work to keep going seems unpleasant, but if you go to the bank and take out a loan, that means you are signing up for some shackles of debt that you'll be carrying around for several years. Your job is relatively new, and you seem to be enjoying it. Are you ready to commit to it for the long haul? Will you be able to make it through each month with all your expenses and also a big car payment? Or will that be a strain that wears you down over the years?

I can't answer any of these questions for you.

For me, I'd rather drive a shit box and be debt free. It's liberating. Although that intermittent stalling problem on the Camry is frustrating when it happens every 2 months or so.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

What are 'parts'?

Reliable transportation is so important. But you can get by with less depending on circumstances. When I worked at the college in town I could easily call someone to run out from the school and pick me up if I were having car problems. When I worked in Downtown Hellton, that wouldn't happen. The former job was very understanding and lenient if I were late, too (you know, at least treated as a salaried adult and there were no timeclocks.)

I agree about not having payments. It's wonderful to not have a monthly car payment. However, I'm not handy with cars and I don't have close friends who are car fixin' people who could pop over and take a look: so there's the convenience of knowing your car will probably run...if you're weird about 'calling in reinforcements' like I am.

Remember that old song "You don't have to have a car, baby, to be in my show..." Well, you might need a car to get to the show but you don't have to have a show car.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4277012845.html
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
glatt

Alternator is an easy job. Clutch is a bigger job.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4263073962.html
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Most used cars you buy from a dealer, even the real clunkers, come with a year or two warranty. Is the inconvenience of a "parts" car only the cost of the parts, or the visits to the shop to have the problems fixed?

In the vast world of auto options, I think you can find a happy medium. Maybe a $5,000-$7,000 oldie but goodie, subsidized by the insurance payment, and you wouldn't have a monthly payment for so long that you'd be burdened if your employment situation changes again in a year or two. Another thing to consider is your housing situation--if you're looking to move into something more permanent in the near(ish) future, you're going to want your credit to be good, and not already have a lot of revolving payments over your head.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

plattsburgh is about 2 1/2 hours from me, Jim is 4.

Parts is parts, infi.

I would need more than a shitbox car to unshackle me, glatt. I look at it as not having to worry about unexpected breakdowns or waiting for the other shoe to fall. A new, new car is off the table but a newer used car is probably the best idea for me. I have way too much on my plate right now to add any kind of fixing up of cars to it. Also any type of car work is going to be done en plein air, not fun in the snow, rain, and -5 degrees.

I went to my product advisor dot com and did their questionnaire and got a list of likely suspects, only they just do 2014 cars. It gives me a starting point anyway. After school I'll talk to my bank and see what kind of loan I can get.

I've always liked this car, maybe I can hammer Jim down on the price.

http://www.cherryhillnissan.com/type...2.0L-538984115

Last edited by footfootfoot; 01-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Unless you have hot and cold running wallets, you're in the same boat as most people where they spend most of their efforts on food, shelter and reliable transportation,(big 3), for them and theirs.
To maintain all three at a level which affords additional activities, adventures, or hobbies, is getting rarer all the time... and generally limited to people who were established and entrenched before Wall Street killed hope.

These days, in order to have one of the big three comfortably secure, usually means skimping on the other two. But most people end up juggling all three, trying to keep everything in an acceptable balance. You may have to love the one you're with.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hit eBay Motors, Feet. You can search by price range, and see what a certain amount of money can get you. That way you have a starting point for finding out just what you might want.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

1.8L 148hp and 37 mpg highway vs. 2.0L 179hp and 33mpg highway?

Assuming everything else is equal?

It's hilly and short passing lanes here. I'm moving from a V6 with 170hp, so I'm afraid 143hp may make me insane. the old car was a 4 speed and this is a six speed, not sure if that will help with passing or climbing hills and maintaining speed.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

You CAN test drive cars, you know. make sure you take them up hills, and simulate passing. 148hp is a good bit, if it's a light enough car. but HP can be misleading. where does the HP peak, in terms of RPMs? do you have to wind it way out to get that, or is it in the useable range?

we still talking Hyundai?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Hmmm good point. I forgot about test driving in my haste to decide. Yeah I'm looking at the Elantra GT.
I've also heard the Focus is a reliable car. What's good in the Nissan world?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

They don't have the Sentra Spec V anymore. nothing that really compares to the GT, actually.

Check out the Subaru Imprezas.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Okay, but no. What kind of car should *I* buy?

I think Subarus are over priced for what you get. Everyone around here has them and they all sound as tinny as Honda civics.

I liked the sonata because it was solid and quiet and a fairly large sedan. Would an Altima be similar?

I guess that even though the Elantra is considered a compact it is pretty big. I'd say it is on the smaller side of what I'd like but adequate.

Tags
twmo