Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 06-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #31
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx

It would also make it easier to track down dangerous vaccines and hot lots. Once a vacine is added to the schedule and given with several other vaccines at once, any problems it may cause could be harder to identify as having been caused by it.
And synergistic reactions as well.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:37 PM   #32
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

Vaccine allergy reaction
whoa. lumpy. is that recent?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

3 years ago, she's better now.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #34
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

anal retentive? from my understanding, anal retentive means that you are particular about details and order. an anal retentive person has a compulsion to correct minor errors and work out soultions to the nth degree. were you just saying that for a laugh, or do i not understand the true meaning of anal retentive?
You misspelled "solutions".
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
there was one death from measels. one.
Why? Because millions have been vacinated for a long time. There used to be a lot of deaths from most of the "childhood" diseases. I remember the terror of polio and seen firsthand the devastation it causes.
Quote:
If my kid got mumps or chicken pox or measels, i'd take him to the doctor, and get him well.
Are they able to do that? Can they do anything but let it run it's course?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:25 PM   #36
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by perth

You misspelled "solutions".
Oh, the irony. funny, perth. verrrrry funny
Old 06-02-2004, 05:26 PM   #37
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

If it's a virus, short of getting vaccinated beforehand, you just have to let it run its course. That's what irks me about doctors who give you medicine for a cold or the flu. They cannot yet KILL a virus, so all they're doing is breeding more resistant bacteria....

And in reply to a reply, way back in the day, one could get a massive infection from a little cut, and die...nowadays, we don't think twice about a paper cut, but back then, it could lead to gangrene, and because of the lack of knowlege among doctors, getting the gangrene treated (ie, cutting off your gangrenous part) was pretty much a death sentence. Doctors didn't wash their hands or anything....all that came during and after the civil war, if I remember correctly.

Oh, and Jinx, thanks for the info.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #38
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:

Oh, the irony. funny, perth. verrrrry funny
Thought you might like that.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #39
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Why? Because millions have been vacinated for a long time. There used to be a lot of deaths from most of the "childhood" diseases. I remember the terror of polio and seen firsthand the devastation it causes.

Are they able to do that? Can they do anything but let it run it's course?
they can treat the symptoms like they do for the flu, ad make sure you don't die from dehydration or fever or someshit. they're not lethal diseases. encephalitis can be fatal, or permanantly damaging ( autism)

well, that's part of my issue with the way we're doing things. I think for diseases like polio, the vaccine can save lives. but i'll be damned if i'm vaccinating my kids for chicken pox. or measels. at this point there is virtually no risk of contracting polio or measles, so why are vaccines nearly compulsory?

also, as i recall, the incidence of those diseases had already significanlty fallen off BEFORE they started mass vaccination.

Quote:
How does vaccination cause autism? The answer: encephalitis. Although encephalitis or "brain inflammation" can be caused by severe infection, trauma to the head and severe burns those occur rarely compared with post-vaccinal encephalitis - encephalitis following vaccination.

Autism (and minimal brain damage), while rare before mass vaccination programs began, are now widespread disorders. Coulter's claim that they are the result of post-encephalitic syndrome resulting from childhood vaccination should be disturbing to anyone with a child who has a learning disorder, is hyperactive, dyslexic, suffers from cranial nerve damage, or is, of course, autistic.
source
Old 06-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #40
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
...death sentence. Doctors didn't wash their hands or anything....all that came during and after the civil war, if I remember correctly.
Sidhe
you are indeed correct. in fact, most medical advances are directly traceable to war.

but more importantly i am coming up on my 100th post. are you all going to throw me a party, or throw me out?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 PM   #41
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Shelby and I have the awesome and sometimes confusing responsibility of choosing the best path for our childrens' health and well being. Among other things. If you thought the risks of the vaccine outweighed the chance of your child dying from the diseases they want to vaccinate him/her from, then you might find cause for concern.
Well, no technically we don't have any reason for concern as a parent would, however, I am guessing that if we did have a child, we would go ahead and vaccinate that child. Considering that I know about weighing the pros and cons of certain treatments and medications, I'd err on the side of preventing catching the disease WITH the knowledge of the *possible* side effects of the vaccination.

For instance, do I continue to stay on peritoneal dialysis and risk my health slowly deteriorating to nothing, multiple hospital stays, interference with life in general, or do I get the transplant, and run the risk of catching god knows what from the immunosuppressants lowering my immune system, run the risk of cancer and the other side effects? Basically, I'm going to trade off one set of circumstances for another. IMO, either choice is a no "win" situation, because something is bound to happen negatively either way. Nothing is guaranteed.

Same with vaccinations, IMO. Either you vaccinate the child and run the risk of the side effects (yes, even death), or do nothing, and run the risk of the child catching something and *possibly* dying from that.

That's just how I see it.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #42
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
I think for diseases like polio, the vaccine can save lives. but i'll be damned if i'm vaccinating my kids for chicken pox. or measels. at this point there is virtually no risk of contracting polio or measles, so why are vaccines nearly compulsory?
Hm..death by vaccine or by chicken pox or measles:

Varicella Disease (Chickenpox)

Measles

The risk runs either way.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #43
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i'd have quoted this from your link, lsyc, but its a pdf.....

to summarize....the vaccine is typically administered at 12-18 mos, and should last 20 yrs.

of the varicella incedences, 5% are people over 20yrs old....however, 55% of ALL varicella deaths occur in this age group.

put that together with the fact that if you contract varicella, you are then immune forever, and you should see that that particular vaccination, is in fact harmful. you just get it again later in life when it is much more dangerous.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #44
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
anal retentive? from my understanding, anal retentive means that you are particular about details and order. an anal retentive person has a compulsion to correct minor errors and work out soultions to the nth degree. were you just saying that for a laugh, or do i not understand the true meaning of anal retentive?
Though I could get away with "anal-retentive"--and it sounds better--a better term would have been "wound up."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:43 PM   #45
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Mayo Clinic

For what it's worth, anyway...

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote