The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #31
mbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
And you would be the first in line to whine when we had no one.
No one what? No one to protect me from the Boogie Man?

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad we have the armed forces - it gives us a place to send the psychopathic killers that are smart enough or white enough to stay out of prison. Just don't try to justify their existence by claiming that we're being "protected" from something. It's been a really long time since any foreign forces set foot in the US, and I, personally, am armed enough and man enough to defend myself.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #32
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrutsch View Post
It's been a really long time since any foreign forces set foot in the US, and I, personally, am armed enough and man enough to defend myself.
OK, so you have enough firepower to kill any foreign soldiers who set foot on your property. That's great. How's that going to help you when they shut off the power, or stop the food deliveries?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #33
mbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
How's that going to help you when they shut off the power, or stop the food deliveries?
Wow, you guys have some really active imaginations. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that something like that happens. There's no one in the US to help, anyway. Both the regular military *and* the national guard are overseas, killing millions of furriners/spreading democracy. California can't even cope with wildfires, because there are so few NG in the US. So, you tell me: if the fit hits the shan over here, who's gonna be here to take care of things?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #34
glatt

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that we don't need a military because you are well armed.

I was pointing out that just because you may have enough firepower to control you immediate vicinity does not mean you have enough to protect your way of life.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #35
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You don't live anywhere near Manhattan, do ya, mbrutsch

it's ok you can tell us
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #36
mbrutsch

Quote:
protect your way of life.
Interesting choice of words. As far as the military is concerned, protecting US soil should be their *only* purpose. Whenever someone points out how we go around the world to other countries and kill their citizens so we can take their resources, the pat response is "we need the military to protect Amurrca!" Can you, without looking it up, name the last time that the US military was used to repel foreign invaders on US soil? Anything beyond our borders is hegemony, pure and simple. I think my "way of life" is much more threatened by fundamentalist Xtians, billionaire CEOs and corrupt elected officials than any of the regions we've invaded overseas.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #37
mbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You don't live anywhere near Manhattan, do ya, mbrutsch

it's ok you can tell us
No, "Occupied Northern Mexico" refers to Texas. I'm not from here, however, and the locals are actually a pretty scary bunch. I don't think anyone's lining up to protect me from *them*, however.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #38
glatt

Quote:
Can you, without looking it up, name the last time that the US military was used to repel foreign invaders on US soil?
That's easy. WWII. Japan invaded Alaska and attacked Hawaii.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #39
mbrutsch

Quote:
That's easy. WWII. Japan invaded Alaska and attacked Hawaii.
I was speaking of the actual United States, not the various floating specks of land around the world that we've claimed are ours, usually at the expense of the people who live(d) there.

Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959 (not that that keeps us from claiming it). But I'll give you Alaska. I'm sure the huge civilian populations of the Aleutian Islands were grateful for the assistance of the military in repelling the invaders of their homelands. Oh, wait. WE were the invaders of their homelands. Never mind.

I think you're stretching to make a point, but technically, you're correct. So it's been 60 years since the last invasion. Tell me again why we need the world's largest and most expensive military force?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #40
glatt

Quote:
you're correct.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #41
mbrutsch

Quote:
Nice try, but you didn't answer my question. Do you perhaps work for a huge, multinational defense contractor? Or own a bunch of their stock? Or are you just fond of seeing dim-witted American kids come home in boxes?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #42
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
So it's been 60 years since the last invasion. Tell me again why we need the world's largest and most expensive military force?
Because it's kept us from being invaded... for 60 years so far, which, lo and behold, is the last time we didn't have the world's largest and most expensive military force.

Of course, that's one of the oldest jokes ever written.

Girl: Why do you keep clicking your fingers when we walk around?
Guy: It keeps the tigers away.
Girl: There aren't any tigers around here.
Guy: It's working!

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #43
mbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Because it's kept us from being invaded.
Wow. I bet you believe that, too.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #44
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Wow. I bet you believe that, too.
Are you always a fucking idiot or do you just play one on here?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #45
mbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Are you always a fucking idiot or do you just play one on here?
Are we really going to resort to name-calling? I suppose that a mercenary who can't shoot his guns at something must resort to shooting off his mouth. Why don't you go salute something, or invade something, or whatever it is paid killers do when they're bored?