The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 08-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #331
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Salamat po Luisa ....Can I ask how many American bases are there now? Just Subic maybe? I heard that the old Clark AFB installation is now a golf resort...is this true?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #332
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

My flight to Seatle has been cancelled and rescheduled to arrive Wed afternoon, 4pm or so.

I belive that Subic has been returned to Philippine ownership.

Most of our trips here have been in the southern portion of Manila. Maybe a trip out to Subic should be on the list of places to go visit and snap pics.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #333
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Here are some pics while I'm just sitting around waiting for the next flight.

This is Ramon Magsaysay.

He is thought of as the most popular Phils president. Admittedly was assisted into power by the CIA but was a very interesting man.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #334
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Attached Images

Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #335
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Salamat po Luisa ....Can I ask how many American bases are there now? Just Subic maybe? I heard that the old Clark AFB installation is now a golf resort...is this true?
Hi Cicero,

All the US bases in the Philippines have been turned over to the Philippine government and were subsequently converted into resorts, golf courses, and shopping mecca's for the moneyed expats and OFW's, as well as the rich business men of the country. Subic also now has it's own yacht club and dolphin show as well.

I was able to shop at both ecnomic zones back in the 90's before it was turned into an exclusive area for the elite so I am not sure about how those places look at this point in time. Subic is said to be a nature lover's paradise and Clark is the golf mecca.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:12 AM   #336
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
My flight to Seatle has been cancelled and rescheduled to arrive Wed afternoon, 4pm or so.

I belive that Subic has been returned to Philippine ownership.

Most of our trips here have been in the southern portion of Manila. Maybe a trip out to Subic should be on the list of places to go visit and snap pics.
Slang was 15 minutes away from my house Had you told me that you were going to the north cemetery, I would have suggested that you drop by the plot of Manuel Roxas, another former president, FPJ- the actor presidentiable, and my own families mausoleum which is considered one of the simple yet elegant stops there.

If you find yourself near the CCP complex, you may want to hop on the boat for a ride to Corregidor Island, a focal point of the war with the Japs.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #337
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I've hit the ground and am getting settled in now.

My bike has survived the flight over with just a slight tear in the seat. Not bad considering all the rough treatment that it probably had.

It's HOT and raining slightly but everything is looking good.

More soon.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #338
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

It's 3:30 am here now and I just woke up.

The first thing on the daily schedule is a bike ride. From 4 to 5 am there are not many people out on the street and the temperature is about the coolest that it will get for the day.

Most of the people that I see on the rides are delivery people. The most memorable of those delivery trucks are the pork trucks.

Their cargo area completely open with zero refridgerations, which doesnt surprise me at all, but being open to the outside without any containing walls.

These trucks are both funny and disgusting. The hogs are often not even secured in the cargo area and flop around back and forth as the truck turns corners.

This is the meat that the middle class Pinoys eat here. No, I do not and cannot eat these foods without going directly into the ICU ward of the ospital.

I'm taking a camera out on the ride today. Should have some pics soon.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #339
Griff
still says videotape

Could I be successful with a dinosaur bbq franchise out there?
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #340
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Surely, but only if those dinos can be euthanized with one of your fancy fencing swords.

Have to go. I'm late for Tagalog class.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #341
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

These are from the bike ride this morning.

It's not a good promotion of the Philippines to show these photos but still, this is what things are like in the citizen's towns.

I think that I've shown this type of photo here before too. Just remember that this is the life for the natives and that life gets much better if you have money.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2007, 02:59 AM   #342
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This is the business side of the front gate here at this apt. It's not particularly all that dangerous of a place but there are regular petty thefts.

Last week the neighbor had a (junk) bicycle stolen. All of our belongings are locked up inside the apartment and the windows are all boarded up.

The windows also have bars on the outside but are also closed to block the viewing from the outside.

The first sharp edge is basically a broad head arrow, though not nearly as sharp. The second protrusion is a much thicker steel but not nearly as sharp as the first.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 AM   #343
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

We went out to Quezon city today and while there this sign popped out at me.

New Orleans (St) after the hurricane.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 AM   #344
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

These puppies were playing out in the street in Q city today.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2007, 03:08 AM   #345
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

They thought that my camera was some type of dog food and came walking over as I bent down to take the pictures.
Attached Images