The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #31
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ya done good!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #32
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I would not toss your cookies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Is that what they're calling it these days?
I am so holding back the salad reference. Oops.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #33
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

wow, lola, those are phenomenal. exquisite, fine detailed, professional looking. I bet you never want to see an icing tube again. that must have taken hours.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I learned the phrase "toss your cookies" from Stephen King.
From a book, not personal conversation.

He stopped calling years ago.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Lola, Those are phenomenal cookies.

Your biggest problem, I think, will be keeping the kids from using rubberbands to slingshot the bird cookies at the pig cookies.

Sundae, you are making excellent progress in learning to speak 'Merkin.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #36
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Tossing cookies = Blowing Groceries, just for variety.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
wow, lola, those are phenomenal. exquisite, fine detailed, professional looking. I bet you never want to see an icing tube again. that must have taken hours.
That took hours and hours and hours and HOURS. I've put all those tubes away. Hopefully by Christmas, I'll forget how tiring and long it was to make them cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Lola, Those are phenomenal cookies.

Your biggest problem, I think, will be keeping the kids from using rubberbands to slingshot the bird cookies at the pig cookies.
Thanks, Wolf. Both kids and adults bagged some in the party favor bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Tossing cookies = Blowing Groceries, just for variety.
Learned something new.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #38
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Hello everyone! It's Christmas cookies time, hehe. Anyways, I've narrowed down to 3 recipes. I thought I'd try something new this year. Would you guys like these cookies? Or if there's something else you think might be better, please suggest! I prefer something simple because I'm making a load to give away. I saw a recipe for 7 Layer cookies. Looks absolutely wonderful and would love to try it but so time-consuming. Anyways, here are the cookies' names and recipes.

(I'm gonna put each recipe in its own post.)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #39
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I like making spritz for Christmas. Simple, fast, and easy to eat. This year, I chose a recipe that calls for cinnamon and orange zest. Does that sound good to y'all?

INGREDIENTS:
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups butter
2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange zest

DIRECTIONS:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (72). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (36).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and egg yolk; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla and orange zest. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Fill a cookie press or pastry bag with dough, and form cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the cookies are golden brown on the peaks and on the bottoms. Remove from cookie sheets at once to cool on wire racks.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #40
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

The second cookie is called Sara's Santa's Whiskers. The cookie looks colorful. It seems simple to make and it's different.

3/4 cup (6 ounces) flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla or rum extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 ounces red candied cherries, coarsely chopped
3 ounces green candied cherries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans

Special equipment: 2 large baking sheets; wax paper

Arrange two approximately 12- by 12-inch square pieces of wax paper on a work surface and spread half the flaked coconut in the middle of each.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla or rum extract and beat until fully incorporated. With the mixer on low, add the flour in 3 batches, followed by the red and green cherries and the pecans, and stir until just combined, about 2 minutes. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a 10-inch-long log, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Transfer each log to a sheet of wax paper and roll to coat them in the coconut. Once the logs are completely covered in coconut, roll the wax paper around each log, cover in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and a second rack in the lower third then preheat to 375°F.
Slice each log crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick cookies and arrange on baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between cookies. Bake, switching the baking sheets between the upper and lower racks about halfway through baking, until light golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Continue baking cookies on cooled baking sheets. DO AHEAD: The cookies can be baked ahead and stored, in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 3 days.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #41
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Now, this third cookie is, well...., I just wanted to make something that appears healthy. And I want to use cranberries. Is this okay as Xmas cookies?

Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries

2 ounces milk chocolate or white chocolate, chopped (for drizzling)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and oats and stir until blended. Stir in all chocolate chips and cranberries.
Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are light brown, about 16 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.
Stir chopped milk chocolate in top of double boiler until melted and smooth. Using small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over cookies in zigzag pattern. Let stand until milk chocolate sets, about 1 hour. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)
Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #42
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Oh, I just remembered there's another one I wanted to make. It's called "Almond Joy" Macaroons. I found it in a magazine so I guess I'll scan it and post it tomorrow. Seems simple and different.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yum.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #44
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Can we choose all of the above?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #45
limey
Encroaching on your decrees