Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #4066
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I need the pattern for that.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7607443
Apparently she decided it was too popular to give away! (And I can't say that I blame her.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #4067
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
You mean catfood?
No!

I mean Mackerel!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #4068
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Vishnu reborn?

Toddler with eight limbs branded 'reincarnation of Hindu god' to undergo life-saving operation

A toddler born with eight limbs and believed by some to be the reincarnation of the multi-limbed Hindu goddess Vishnu, is set to undergo a 40-hour operation to remove half of her limbs.

Lakshmi Tatma was born joined to a 'parasitic twin' and will go under the knife at the hands of 30 surgeons to remove two of her useless arms and legs.

Torment: Lakshmi can not walk or crawl and is unlikely to survive her teens without surgery

The headless 'twin' is joined to Lakshmi at the pelvis and has its own spinal column and kidney.

Without the operation the little girl would never be able to walk or crawl and would be unlikely to live past her early teens, doctors said.

The extraordinary eight-limbed baby was born in a poverty-stricken region of Bihar, India - on the day devoted to the celebration of the four-armed Hindu deity Vishnu.

Fused: Lakshmi's body is joined with the parasitical twin which is attached to her body at her pelvis

Her mother Poonam Tatma said she believed her daughter was "a miracle, a reincarnation" of Vishnu.

Dr Sharan Patil, who will be leading the surgery at the country's Narayana Health City, in Bangalore, said: "Fortunately, Lakshmi has one complete body with a near perfect set of organs.

"Her skeletal system involves two bodies which are fused together at the level of the pelvis.

"The operation itself, although presents several challenges, is not the most complex in the world. What is highly unusual in Lakshmi's case is precisely how her bodies are fused, almost mirroring each other."

The Hindu god Vishnu is the preserver and protector of creation

Parents Poonam Devi and Shambu Das, who earn about 50p a day as casual labourers, were turned away from several hospitals before her plight was taken up by Dr Patil.

The operation is expected to cost about £100,000.

Poonam, who gave birth to Lakshmi on the celebration day of the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity after whom the new born was named, said: "She is a miracle, a special blessing from God. But she is my daughter and she cannot live like this."

Laskhmi is the subject of a Channel 4 documentary as part of the Bodyshocks series.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #4069
Drax
Banned

At first I chuckled, and that made me feel bad. Poor kid.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #4070
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datalyss View Post
At first I chuckled, and that made me feel bad. Poor kid.
Her corrective surgery is today.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #4071
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7607443
Apparently she decided it was too popular to give away! (And I can't say that I blame her.)
At $8 for a digital download, I don't need the pattern that badly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #4072
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Her corrective surgery is today.
I hope she get through it ok.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #4073
Flint
Snowflake

Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #4074
Drax
Banned

Gee. Why so cheap? :p
Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #4075
Drax
Banned

Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #4076
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

8-Limbed Girl Has Successful Surgery

BANGALORE, India (AP) - Doctors in southern India completed a grueling 24-hour operation Wednesday on a girl born with four arms and four legs that surgeons said will give the 2-year-old a chance at a normal life.

The surgery went "wonderfully well," said Dr. Sharan Patil, who led a team of more than 30 surgeons in performing the marathon procedure to remove Lakshmi's extra limbs, salvage her organs and rebuild her pelvis area.

"This girl can now lead as good a life as anyone else," Patil said from a hospital in the southern Indian city of Bangalore.

Lakshmi, who has been revered by some in her village as the reincarnation of a Hindu goddess, was born joined at the pelvis to a "parasitic twin" that stopped developing in her mother's womb. The surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and other body parts of the undeveloped fetus.

"This is a very rare occurrence," said Dr. Doug Miniati a pediatric surgeon at the University of California, San Francisco, who was not involved in the surgery. Miniati said the surgery was extremely complicated but her chances of survival were greater because she was not joined at the heart or brain.

The doctors worked through the night to remove the extra limbs and organs. By midnight, a team of neurologists had separated the fused spines while orthopedic surgeons removed most of the "parasite," carefully identifying which organs and internal structures belonged to the girl, said Patil.

Then began the difficult job of reconstructing Lakshmi's lower body.

The operation included transplanting a good kidney into Lakshmi from the twin. The team also used tissue from the twin to help rebuild the pelvic area, one of the most complicated parts of the surgery, Patil said.

"Beyond our expectations, the reconstruction worked wonderfully well," Patil said. "We were able to bring the pelvic bones together successfully, which takes away the need for another procedure," he said.

However, she will have to have further treatments and possible surgery for clubbed feet before she would be able to walk, he said.

Lakshmi's parents, who were expected to see their daughter later Wednesday, said they were very relieved.

"It will be great to see our daughter have a normal body," her father Shambhu, who only goes by one name, told reporters. "We were worried for her future."

Children born with deformities in deeply traditional rural parts of India, like the remote village in the northern state of Bihar that Lakshmi hails from, are often viewed as reincarnated gods. The young girl is no different - she is named after the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth.

Others sought to make money from Lakshmi. Her parents kept her in hiding after a circus apparently tried to buy the girl, they said.

Her mother, who is currently pregnant with a healthy fetus, was "overwhelmed," Patil said.

Doctors at Sparsh Hospital in Bangalore said they were performing the surgery, which they estimated cost $625,000, for free because the girl's family could not afford the medical bills.

"We are very grateful to all the doctors for seeing our plight and deciding to help us," Shambhu said.

Doctors at the hospital have said that Lakshmi was popular among staff and patients.

"She's a very cute girl," hospital spokeswoman Dr. Patil Mamatha said. "She's very playful and gets along well with others."
Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #4077
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Here's the x-ray:
Name:  XRAY.gif
Views: 624
Size:  13.2 KB

I'm very happy she's doing well. And I am still amazed that surgery like this can be done, and will be done for free if you're really poor and really need it, and, I guess, push the sympathy buttons enough.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #4078
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

...And are able to push several sympathy buttons simultaneously.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #4079
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Not sure where to post these, its a bit of a WTF, so here will do.
In Japan, most things are more uptight and regulated than in western countries. One exception is public safety, especially when it comes to fireworks.
I took these at a tiny village called Seinaiji, in Nagano prefecture. It is an annual fireworks festival where the men of the village demonstrate their courage and/or stupidity. Still, no one seemed to get hurt so maybe they weren't that brave or stupid. Then again, it is done right in the middle of a crowded village built entirely of wood. hmmmm.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #4080
Flint
Snowflake

Wal-Mart employee: Hello it's Wal-Mart. How can I help you?
Caller: I would like to order a cake to be picked up this Friday morning.
Wal-Mart employee: What you want the cake to say?
Caller: "Best Wishes Suzanne," and underneath that, "We Will Miss You" ...
Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor