The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

6/10/2003: Suicide save

Members of the Long Beach, Calif., police Mental Evaluation Team grab an unidentified woman as she hangs off the top of an eight-story parking garage at St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach on May 31. The team rescued the woman, who reportedly had been threatening to kill herself. She was admitted to the hospital for psychological examination.

Nice save.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Looks like she's pushing 250+. I wonder if they used anything besides their hands to hoist her back up.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Uh...Why?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:23 PM   #4
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

It's the ones that do this that never actually go ahead with it. Attention seekers they are called. Calling Bluff.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #5
BruteForce
Lead Subordinate

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah
It's the ones that do this that never actually go ahead with it. Attention seekers they are called. Calling Bluff.
considering she's hanging off the edge, i doubt that.

on a related note, this is probably the most upsetting article i've ever read.
BruteForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

It's the ones that do this that never actually go ahead with it. Attention seekers th

Wonder what your source is. Having held an empty shotgun barrel in my mouth and dry fired umpeen time during my divorce period, trying to get up the nerve to load live rounds I know the feeling of wanting to get off the bus. I came so close and my exwife told everyone I was just faking.

Actually, I guess it was the Leo in me, i.e. I love my face too much to shoot it up

Hope she gets a treatment that helps.

YOF
Chris
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:39 PM   #7
Chris MC
IT'S IN THE TREES! ... IT'S COMING! ...

Location: I moved down to Southampton on the central South Coast in 1967
Quote:
Originally posted by BruteForce

on a related note, this is probably the most upsetting article i've ever read.
That really put me on a downer ... I had no idea that these things went on online

Chris.
"It doesn't involve going to the theater."
"In my experience, Mr. Grissom, some men go to the theater ... some men are the theater."
-- Lady Heather and Gil Grissom (Slaves of Las Vegas)
Chris MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

I think she's pregnant.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:18 PM   #9
juju
no one of consequence

So, do you guys not think that people should have a right to kill themselves if they want to? It is their life, after all. Isn't it?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:23 PM   #10
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

This is one question i have yet to answer for myself. One hand says: go ahead let them kill them selves, on the other hand it says that life is precious, every sperm is sacred, wait a sec....

<i>--------------------------------------------------------------------
thats Monty Python. Ignore me i'm just a cellar goof.</i>
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I read the article posted above, and it reminded me of another case that happened a year or so ago, a kid on IRC with webcans who wanted his friends to 'watch' him OD.

Story Here

(If Metafilter works, the link is above)

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Take the poll.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:55 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah
But for those cops, that woman was going to be a human version of Humpty-Dumpty.

That's NOT a bluff.

I do this stuff for a living.

Even without taking the step of carrying through with an attempt, a lot of people who 'just talk' about suicide are very serious. yeah, there ARE chain jerkers out there. I see them. I talk to them. They know I know they're bluffing for three hots and a cot. But even some of these folks up the ante.

A lot of people who make 'cry for help' or 'cry for attention' attempts end up dead.

Wife of a state policeman in a state that shall remain nameless had made several manipulative suicide attempts. She was very practiced. She set the scene, left her suicide note, and timed her overdose such that he would be able to find and rescue her when he arrived home at 6. He was very punctual.

Just one little hitch ... when he arrived home at 6AM after pulling an unexpected mandated double shift she'd been dead for at least 10 hours. (I know the psychologist for that department. This is a true story)

I found the story about the online suicide group very distressing, and I do hope that criminal charges of assisting the suicide of that girl are able to be pursued.

There are a lot of cliche's about suicide ... and the one that is truest is that it's a permanent solution to temporary problems.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:08 AM   #14
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

Quote:
I found the story about the online suicide group very distressing, and I do hope that criminal charges of assisting the suicide of that girl are able to be pursued.
Seems to me that a better approach would be to infiltrate the group and either provide convincing arguements against or to report someone to the relevant authorities.

I do think people have the right to committ suicide but I think they should have to convince a panel of people that they are sane enough to make a rational decision first.

I would do it in the case of painful terminal illness or if I had an illness where I was going to lose my mind but stay alive. There are too many ways out of depression or a horrible life situation to make the choice for suicide your first choice instead of your last choice.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:39 PM   #15
russotto
Professor

Telling someone how to commit suicide is still covered by the tatters of the Bill of Rights, fortunately.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote