The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

March 17th, 2020 : Bison

♫ Oh, give me a home where the Bison do roam
and munch on green roughage all day.
♫ I can’t afford digs in the hood of the herd
it’s so unlikely I’ll get there some way.

That’s because these five young ladies live in San Francisco, and not some jive-ass semi-suburb industrial zone.
Oh no, it’s on seven acres of lush Bermuda grass in Golden Gate Park. Pretty posh digs, methinks they’re living large.

Quote:
Bison were first introduced to the park in the 1890s, and these big buddies are the first new faces in the herd since 2012. Since they raced out of the trailer that carried them from a northern California ranch, the yearlings have been eagerly getting to know their new digs, as well as the five old-timers who got there first.
The youngsters will spend 30 days separated from their wizened peers by a chain-link fence, but they can scope each other out from their neighboring pastures in the paddock. As soon as the new arrivals barreled out of the trailer, they scampered right over to the barrier to say hi. “Both sides regarded each other with curiosity,” wrote the Recreation & Parks Department in a news release. (The zoo tends to the bison themselves, while Recreation & Parks maintains the enclosure.)

I noticed meeting at the wall, the two of the old guard that we can see their back end have their tails up.
Marking their territory? So happy they could just shit?
Quote:
But some group dynamics will be smoother than others. “Females and young males will be much more likely to group up with the current herd,” Merkle says. Merkle hasn’t studied the Golden Gate Park herd in particular, but based on his knowledge of dynamics in Yellowstone, Prince Albert, and Banff National Parks, as well as the scientific literature, he says, “adult males tend to spend most of the year on their own or in small bachelor groups.” The males typically only mingle with the rest of the herd during mating season, he adds—and then they’re likely to cozy up to several ladies.

As often happen when youngsters from the sticks hit the big city they gravitate toward the hip trendy practices. Here we see
one of the young ladies, who has maintained a svelte 550 lbs, tanning where the Sun don’t shine... a recent rage.

link
Old 03-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

It is always a treat to drive through GG Park and see the Bison/Buffalo herd. We did so most recently last fall.
I looked at the link and several other articles about the new additions but could not find from which of the several private herds in Northern California they came.
So I'll just claim they came from the J Bar S Ranch about three miles from where I sit. I have to admit we occasionally eat them.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And tasty they are, we have several herds in Lancaster County, PA.
One I used to see next to the road all the time has been moved to the back of the property and they now charge a couple bucks to look at them.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ruby Tuesday's used to have an excellent bison burger.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
burns334
High Propagandist

Ted's Montana bison burger was my fav
burns334 is offline   Reply With Quote