The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Right, that's the only way to cram 300,000,000 into neat pigeon holes.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's a good graph Pico but it does not isolate .08's effect. For example it doesn't take into account a big drop in drinking overall, a major cultural shift. Especially down is binge drinking in inexperienced drivers, the most dangerous kind:

In fact, given these trends, along with improved alcohol education, you would expect your graph to have an even larger drop-off.

Quote:
however, my husband and I are both much less inclined to drink if we are going to drive because of this limit, and I'm sure we are not alone in that regard. Its had an impact.
Yeah, but if you did drink and drive, you would have pulled it off.

You and your husband considered the possibilities and decided not to drink. Two decades ago you would have decided which of you was in better condition to drive, and then you would have driven home; and nothing would have happened. You would have known you were impaired, it would be unusual to you, and you would have driven carefully. In fact if you knew you were actually not in condition to drive, you wouldn't have driven.

Alcoholics do not have this choice. I'm suggesting that most really serious, fatal accidents do not happen at .08, but are alcoholics who are at .15 and up.

At .08 you are three seconds slower, and you rear-end somebody at a red light, but you're going 10 MPH because you've hit the brakes, just too late.

At .13 you miss the red light entirely and T-bone somebody in the intersection. It sucks hard, but nobody (usually) dies.

But at .27 you enter the wrong ramp of the highway, go the wrong way at 50 MPH and hit someone head-on.

Because you're an alcoholic, you fail to make the right choice even if you are a PA state trooper and accident investigator who had a similar crash four months prior.

Quote:
Quigg, a trooper who had overseen DUI checkpoints on Philadelphia area highways, was placed on restricted duty following a DUI-related crash on Route 422 in Montgomery County in December 2009.
additional story

Bonus karma: the trooper killed himself, but not his 23 year old victim. He was not wearing a seatbelt... she was.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

cars are safer too
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #34
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

All true and also it occurred to me this morning that the seat belt law has probably had an affect on those numbers as well. But I really hate the rationalizing that goes along with the decision to drink and drive. Its just best to not do it, because once alcohol is in the equation, judgment is always impaired.

Are you sure, tho, that the .08 limit hasn't played a part in reducing drunk driving incidents overall?

Last edited by Pico and ME; 08-28-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #35
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

yeah, that's true. is there a stat that gives alcohol related accidents?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Those numbers are hard to get because they aren't collected by the feds. The states have a lot of detail; PA creates a book on all the stats every year. But they are weak on historical numbers. PA's latest book only gives a 5 year trend on alcohol related crashes. The numbers trend down, going from about 13,500 crashes in 2004 to 12,750 in 2008. The number of fatal crashes trends slightly up, going from 487 to 498.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #37
blue
Operations Operative

hey! take this shit to a drunk driving thread? there were like 3 lameass confessions, what are y'all, saints?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #38
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

One of the many reasons I dropped out of Catholicism was the whole concept of confessional. I never felt that I had done anything wrong, certainly nothing that a forgiving god would hold a child's feet to the fire for, so the whole canard seemed forced and affected.

I reasoned, god knew what I'd been up to anyway, and he knew what was in my heart, therefore knowing whether I really was repentant, so why get some priest involved in the deal?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #39
Griff
still says videotape

Sermon fodder?

I wonder where priests stand on guys who save it up for years, give a very descriptive high-light reel, and immediately follow up with out-takes of same, including clerical reaction, in a drunken group setting...

Anyway I didn't even go near the thing when I was churched, it is too manipulative.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #40
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Sermon fodder?
OMG, I thought that said semen fodder
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #41
Griff
still says videotape

Ha! Perfect.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #42
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just went grocery shopping and was so pissed off that I left my cart on the tree island in the parking lot instead of returning it to the store or a bay. I never do that.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #43
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Left your cart on the tree island?? What are you, some type of monster?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #44
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I just went grocery shopping and was so pissed off that I left my cart on the tree island in the parking lot instead of returning it to the store or a bay. I never do that.
what got you that enraged?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
monster
I hear them call the tide

Brain-dead cashier, of course....