The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Mortality

Not feeling perfectly in tune today.

Yesterday morning I talked to Dad on the phone. He had just gotten off the phone with his older brother. My uncle was not feeling well but would not call an ambulance. I had my second day of orientation scheduled so I suggested he call his younger brother and ride over to assess the situation. Younger brother was watching his grandkids and his wife isn't feeling well so they couldn't go. I told Dad I'd take him right after work since it'd be a short day.

Dad an I go over after work, the doors are locked so I searched for a key, but didn't find one. We went to the neighbors' house, they reported that he hadn't taken his walk today. We went back with the husband and we spot him on the couch from the closed off breezeway. He does not stir when I pound on the door. Neighbor finds an unlocked window, I push him through. He shakes his head at me, it's not good news for the living. He looked pretty relaxed and at peace there on the couch.

I check for pulse breathing etc.. he is cold. I call 911 talk to the county dispatch and we've got all the local volunteers in minutes. They hook him up and eventually call it. The coroner won't be coming out as everything looks on the up an up. 88 year old man with heart and brain issues got out better than most. The volunteers transport to my high school friends funeral home.

My Aunt Uncle and Cousin come in. We joke a little too much, look at the old racing photos, lower the thermostat, check the fridge, get his suit out of the closet, joke some more, admire the mess, shut off the lights, take down the flag, and head home.