The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

My nephew and his Dad

So, for those of you who dont know (which is probably most of you I guess), I moved from Wagga Wagga, NSW to Hervey Bay, Queensland (Ali and I are in the same state now!! and Im a beach bum)...my Mum has just moved up here too.

Anyway, Queensland is where the majority of my family are, so it made sense to move closer, my Nephew (who is only 11 years younger than me, we used to be quite close) and I have been spending a bit of time together. We were sitting on the beach and I asked if he ever thought about his Dad, who he hasnt seen for 20 odd years.

My sister and his father separated when he was very young, and she has poisoned JS (my nephew) against him, so JS has always hated the man.

He asked me what I remember of his Dad and what I thought, and although I was very young at the time, I always thought he was a great guy and a lot of fun, plus I know my sister is bloody difficult at the best of times.

So now JS wants to track down his Dad and asked me to help, I'm all for it...but now I am thinking...why hasnt this man tried to keep in contact with his Son, will there be a box of unopened birthday and christmas cards at my sisters like in the movies? Did he just up and walk away and never look back?

My sister lives in the same house as she did when they were together, I know the Dad is in the same area because I google stalked him and found him on Facebook and LinkedIn.

All of a sudden I dont trust myself and my judgement, so I have initiated contact before I let my nephew know I have found him.

Realistically, the very same thing could happen to my little ferels. They havent seen their Dad for 5 years and it is 100% his choice, but I make sure I never say a bad thing about him, because one day they are going to track him down and they need to form their own opinions of him.

Sorry that was a bit rambly, I just need to get it out of my head.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote