The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

carjacked

I met a guy today that was buying a new Armada. Let's call him 'Huy'. He had bought one from us in 2005. He had to replace it. An LE...(that means leather, and moonroof, and chrome wheels and stuff). He requested LoJack. Usually, when someone asks for LoJack, they've had a car stolen.

But this guy had been carjacked! I mean..you hear about it on the news...and see it in movies and video games. And you picture it happening in LA or NYC..... This was an Asian guy that lived in Philly. Sunday they had driven out to Hershey Park and had a fun time riding the rides, being together, laughing.......and Monday morning.....pow! A gun in your face.

His 8 year old son is in the back seat......and Huy was pulled out of the car with a shiny silver gun under his chin......"My Son! My Son!"

The carjacker shoved the boy out to him roughly and sped away in Huy's car.

Now my imagination is filling in blanks. ( I have a 9yr old son) and I'm imagining it happening to me. I look down at my son.....he looks at me...I am so relieved that he's safe and unhurt, and that it's over, but......I put myself in his shoes and don't understand why my dad...who had been infallible and invincible didn't stop the bad men from taking our car.....and why they would take our car in the first place?

now deal with the aftermath.....(this is Huy's retelling again).the police come......and his son tells the detective....."I don't want that car back."

When the detective asks why not, he says, "because the Black man is in there", and starts to cry. Huy tells me that his kid is afraid of black men now. He says, " I tell him that it's not the same guy....but he......"

As a Dad, i try to pay attention to little things that might stick with my kids....things that they will hold as core truths as they develop....I try to instill important values.....I teach them about the Good path, and the Bad path....and how they diverge with decisions they make.....

I see a tree structure in my mind. I see the importance of early impression.

Now this guy has to deal with not only the mundane inconvenience of replacing his car, the loss of equity and time at work, but also....he now has to try to convince his 8yr old son that not all black people want to steal his car.

Just a little rub: The car he bought to replace it had NO leather, NO moonroof, and NO chrome wheels. It does have LoJack with Early Warning and equity protection. I gave him the last part for free.

2 minutes of time on a Monday morning, and this dude has to deal with this shit for who knows how long? A month to straighten the mess out with insurance and getting a new car.....but his son? fuck me.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Cloud

That's exactly the kind of stuff I fear most in life. I call it RBS. Random Bad Shit.

It would have been a lot worse for the kid if the guy had fought and been shot.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Was he packing?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what do you mean? are you going to try to turn this into another of your gun control debates?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
what do you mean? are you going to try to turn this into another of your gun control debates?
No, I'm trying to turn this into another enough is enough thread.

BTW, I NEVER espoused gun troll. EAD.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Shit like this scares the crap out of me. Does the fact that my kid sits in a toddler carseat with a relatively complicated buckle mean the guy is going to be less likely to bother letting him out?

I have nightmare imaginations of driving off a bridge into water all the time too.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Yea...I can understand this. I live in a smaller town but it's extremely touristy and usually civilized. We do have cholos and gangs as well. My husband and I were parking to go to our anniversary dinner in a premiere high rolling part of town, we got out of the vehicle, and some cholos drove by and threatened to steal our vehicle if we kept it parked there.....Well other people heard them, and were too shocked to say anything, and of course me with the mouth started to approach their vehicle (obviously pissed), and asked them to reiterate about their intentions to steal our car. They drove off and laughed of course- but this kind of crap goes on now in broad daylight with many people around...which is why I live in the country and try not to do too much hanging out in the cities.. Full of RBS.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

In 2 incidents, I got robbed as a kid and beaten up as a teenager...in both cases, the attackers were black teens. I think my parents used it as a crutch to dislike blacks in general, but I can honestly say that I never felt that way. After I got robbed (I was 11 at the time), I was afraid of black people for a while, but got past that. After the beatdown, I didn't have any contempt for black people...just the assholes that beat me up.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

LJ, I thought at first that you were carjacked, before I started reading!
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that's why you should always read first, and react later.

which reminds me of blue's sig line:

remember, if you see a tornado.....point at it and yell, "Tornado!" ...and run like hell!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

But it's fun to react first--gets the adrenaline going.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I had a friend who was the victim of an aborted child snatching. She had the presence of mind to fight and yell, and managed to get away. She told it as an interesting long-ago story, but I am pretty sure some of her issues with being touched by strangers (of either sex) must be related to that incident. She also had a terrible fear of men who wore hats for months, and even as an adult felt suspicious of anyone when she couldn't see their eyes.

I wish people who did these sorts of things could realise for just a few seconds what they put their victims though. I don't mean as retribution, just to see if they have any kind of empathy at all...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think if we gave the death penalty for stealing car stereos, there'd be a lot less of these guys to go around jacking cars and fucking up people's lives. I do take solace in the fact that the same asshole will probably be found dead in the trunk of somebody's burning stolen car someday when a drug deal goes bad, or the guy he tries to fence the next Lexus to decides that he's just gonna take it, too.

Animals like this need to be excised from society like the cancers they are. And no, I don't care that they were neglected abused children, products of a broken home, or suffered other trauma growing up. People make their own decisions. This fuck decided to be, well, a fuck. Anything bad that happens to him after that is par for the course.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #14
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

I have a family member who claims not to be racist, but insists on using terms like 'nigger' and 'coon' and 'porch monkey' in front of my daughter.

At one point when she was 4 years old, she told me she didn't like brown or dark brown skin color - it was ugly and dirty and she just didn't like it. After a lengthy discussion, followed by me pointing out my dark Native American skin in comparison with her fair, freckled Welsh skin, I told her she must not like me and she must think I'm dirty and ugly because of my skin color. She saw the light and wept.

Granted, my situation does not involve a violent criminal act, but we do have to contend, virtually on a daily basis, with said family member who is very very close to my daughter, and who continually uses slurs in front of her. It was so sad to see her go from describing the little boy she played with in preschool as "the tall boy who shares nicely, the one with the brown skin", to "the black boy".

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

I can't imagine being in that situation with my son. By myself is one thing. Crap my pants and then try to move on. With my son, I would be scared, pissed, and relieved all at the same time. That much emotion would not be good while talking to the cops.