The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #91
Flint
Snowflake

Oh, the moral bravery of these stalwart netizens, the Churchill-esque fortitude to stand in the face of the enemy, the creeping fungus of moral ambiguity, to strike out true, each keystroke falling like a hammer of doom upon the sickly, scab-encrusted slime weasel of ethical corruption, shining a beacon of truth and goodliness, what valor is diplayed by these, who seek to cast out the devils which whisper insidious lies into the innocent ears of our young ones; never has better time been spent on typing things, which few have the courage to post--I applaud thee!
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #92
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Talk to the hand
Attached Images

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #93
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Stores factor the cost of shoplifting ("shrinkage") into their prices. So if you don't steal, they're getting money for free. They're stealing from you. So always steal about 1.5% of your groceries by value. It is the only honest thing to do.

[ : throws cat amongst pigeons : ]
and when the communities accepted morality drops to a certain level you get to buy your bread at a 50% mark-up at the minimarket because the supermarket option is gone...
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #94
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

You mean like when a 17 year old girl gets pregnant?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #95
Brett's Honey
whatever

Update on "Why is my daughter stealing?" - To make a long story short, I am no longer "Brett's honey", we aren't divorced but we have been separated for close to two years now. However, I do have an update on his daughter's behavior, and that is the reason for my addition to this conversation. The stealing when she was 14 did not just "go away". Her Dad and Grandma pretty much ignored and made excuses for the stealing (They are the only two adults who have ever been in her life until I came along.) Upadate on her - she just turned 17 and has been working part time job at a drug store for about 8 months. About a month ago she was charged with embezzlement by that store. Apparently a customer lost his wallet in the store, she found it and is seen on a security camera putting it under a counter, but at some point either removed the money from it or took it back and pocketed it....I'm not sure of the details. That was the story by the time it got to me, anyway. I did not know that stealing a customer's property would be an embezzlement charge - anyone know if that is correct?

So.....to the Mom with the son who has sticky fingers, deal with it now! I know that you are, by your comments, but I did want to update this story after I saw your posts and I had just heard what happened with my step-daughter. Good luck to you.

I check in to the cellar regularly, but my internet access has been sporadic and I have been BUSY. Happily busy with a brand new grandson! Christopher Anthony was born June 17th, weighed 6 lbs. 14 0z., healthy as a horse, and is the most beautiful baby ever born! Him, my son and daughter-in-law (22 & 19 yrs old) are living with me right now and I'm loving it.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #96
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post

Precisely. I put myself in the place of the manager of a large supermarket or the shareholders of the chain and I find it very difficult to imagine that I'd be upset by minor pilfering. I may be annoyed by it. I may find it bothersome. I very much doubt I would feel personally violated. I would, however, if I was burgled.
Dana,

I understand what you're saying, I managed a Pizza Hut for 7 years, and my quarterly bonuses were a large part of my income and were based on things such as food costs, so when people stole from the restaurant or left without paying, in a big way it directly affected me. However, it did not bother me nearly as much as when my apartment was broken into and my TV, stereo, etc., were stolen. HUGE difference in how I felt...........
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #97
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thanks for the update HoneyGrandma!
If you think you might have time to drop by you can always ask UT to change your username. I for one love the fact the Cellar lets me hear from people with different life experiences than mine.

Sorry to hear about your ex's daughter. I can genuinely understand the temptation. I try to lead as moral a life as possible but if I found a wallet in the pub tonight and I knew it didn't belong to one of the regulars, I'd be sorely tempted. In fact I can even think of one of the regulars who I'd be happy to relieve of some money, but that's personal and a whole other issue (he was so rude to me last night!)

It's a shame she wasn't burned by her earlier encounters, or she might not be facing a criminal conviction now. It's a heavy weight to carry around with you, even without a prison sentence.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote