The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #196
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I make tons of grammatical error and spelling errors. Eh, I fix what I can see. I think faster than my fingers.
you don't still think we're talking about you do you?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #197
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

No. It was just a general comment.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #198
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
... The problem with the US program until recently was that birth control methods were not made available to third world women who wanted them. Every woman has the right to choose her own reproductive destiny. Over population is the root of many ills in the third world. If we could help developing nations put a curb on this problem, it would be one of the most economical and effective methods of aid that we could provide.
Perhaps it belongs in the "accomplishments of Obama" thread, but I agree that rescinding the Mexico City Policy, under which NGOs could not receive federal aid funds even if they use their own funds for abortions or even abortion counseling, is a good thing.

I also dont think any amount of foreign aid to Haiti would have minimized the disaster, but IMO, and from a larger perspective, the level of US assisstance to our poorest neighbor has been paltry.

And, for the record, my ballpark estimate of $25 billion in total US economic aid was off a bit...its closer to $29 billion, including $6 billion to Afghanistan and Iraq...and still less than one penny of every tax dollar.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s1263.pdf (if anyone cares).

Even in the toughest times at home, we can afford more than one penny on the dollar to help those facing even greater day-to-day adversity, if the funding is channeled in a meaningful manner.

And, I would certainly question some of the recipients identified above...but not Haiti.

Or perhaps I am straying too much from the topic at hand...but I agree that we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Redux; 01-19-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #199
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Here's my thoughts. Let's cut foreign aid and use the money to help the people in the US. Let the NGOs and the UN handle Haiti. Concentrate our military on completing our missions in Southwest Asia.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #200
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I also dont think any amount of foreign aid to Haiti would have minimized the disaster, but IMO, and from a larger perspective, the level of US assisstance to our poorest neighbor has been paltry.

And, for the record, my ballpark estimate of $25 billion in total US economic aid was off a bit...its closer to $29 billion, including $6 billion to Afghanistan and Iraq...and still less than one penny of every tax dollar.
We have no such responsibility to provide aid. The world is filled with a hundred Haiti's. Such is life.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #201
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
We have no such responsibility to provide aid. The world is filled with a hundred Haiti's.
So why were you so concerned about someone on the other side of the globe that was a threat to no one. Not a threat to us. Not a threat to any adjacent country. And yet you thought we should Pearl Harbor his nation.

Aid makes friends. Unilaterally attacking someone only because you fear is akin to being friends with the devil. Only the devil would hate aid to the downtrodden while unilaterally attacking others based on mythical fears. Why so much hate?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #202
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
So why were you so concerned about someone on the other side of the globe that was a threat to no one. Not a threat to us. Not a threat to any adjacent country. And yet you thought we should Pearl Harbor his nation.

Aid makes friends. Unilaterally attacking someone only because you fear is akin to being friends with the devil. Only the devil would hate aid to the downtrodden while unilaterally attacking others based on mythical fears. Why so much hate?
Hate is popular. It's all the rage. It makes one look strong and self-supportive. Yeah, I'm not buying it either.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #203
TheMercenary

I have no idea what he posts so thanks for the quote.

Hate?

All the rage?

Strong and self-supportive?

WTF?

Assume much?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #204
Shawnee123

No, when one assumes, one makes an ass of you and me.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #205
TheMercenary

Yea, that was my point.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #206
Shawnee123

And it was flawless, that point.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #207
TheMercenary

No, that you assume.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #208
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Here's my thoughts. Let's cut foreign aid and use the money to help the people in the US. Let the NGOs and the UN handle Haiti. Concentrate our military on completing our missions in Southwest Asia.
NGOs and the UN rely heavily on governmentl funding.

About 1/4 of the UN/World Health Organization (WHO) funding is from US government contributions.

Doctors Without Borders gets over half of its funding from governments, including, most significantly, from the US treasury.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #209
tw

Quote:
Hate? ... WTF?
Why do the extremists here routinely turn any discussion nasty? Oh. That is what Limbaugh, Beck, etc do. "We want Obama to fail." And so nasty posting from right wing wackos continue. Another post - this time about Haitians - has been converted into another nasty thread of insults. Limbaugh would be proud. How extremists throughout history have gained power. Even 'liberal' use of profanity is expected.

Last edited by tw; 01-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #210
tw

Since the topic is Haiti's earthquake - a small relevant sidebar:

The epicenter was some 20 miles SW of Port-Au-Prince. One would never know from local posting and graphic reports of urban victims. Little has been reported on where the earthquake was possibly most severe.

Viewing satellite photos, damage appreared to be less west (more outside) the city. After wading through reams of useless 'tear jerk' nonsense, reports say getting west (down the coast) was difficult. On Tuesday, the Marines solved that problem. They landed Marine style. From the NY Times of 19 Jan 2010:
Quote:
LÉOGÂNE, Haiti — The Marine helicopters began landing just before noon on Tuesday in a cow pasture here in this heavily damaged farming town about nine miles south of Port-au-Prince, kicking up strong winds and drawing crowds of the curious and hopeful.
Is Leogane even worse? Too many reports of dead bodies and frustrated rescuers. Little if any word about damage where the earthquake centered.

Now we return you to more personal attacks justified by an extremist political agenda and the need to have Obama fail. Clearly we have no business helpin Hatians because ...