The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-08-2019, 12:50 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Feb 8th, 2019: Horse Hide

Kofta Studio in Kiev uses horse hides to make shoulder bags, clutches, and backpacks.
To us it’s unusual but there are plenty of hides available because Europe, South America, and Asia enjoy horse in large quantities.
The hides are vegetable tanned, shaped, and hand painted.
I don't think they need all that much leather because I think the shapes and prices kind of limit their market.

Ask the man on the street if we eat horse meat in the US and you’ll probably get a no. But we do, they do, some do.
During the great depression and WW II we ate what we could get, which included a lot of horse flesh.
Prior to 2007 there were three horse processing plants in the US, but by 2013 it was zero.
It’s coming back though, mainly as high end fare for the rich and famous, but it may trickle down.
I remember reading decades ago there was two Boeing 707s flying between Canada and France just shuttling horse meat.

We have an excess of horses, exacerbated by the John Waynes overgrazing on our land, so there’s not enough food for the wild horses.
Why should Alpo get the best cuts?

link
Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

We make shoes and boots out of horsehide in the US. I think most people don't realize cordovan leather is horsehide.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nobody would blink an eye at Cordovan leather shoes. Horsehide chaps and whips have flown under the radar for years. A backpack looking like a truck tire or clutch purse looking like a brick might attract more attention.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
We make shoes and boots out of horsehide in the US. I think most people don't realize cordovan leather is horsehide.
And baseballs

108 stitches at a time