The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

For the Longest Time...

(actually cross-posted from my Facebook cause i'm a loser like that)

Quote:
I'll take my chances
I forgot how nice romance is
I haven't been there for the longest time
-Billy Joel

Why is it that TAS is so... unromantic? There's no love here. Not even just for me, that doesn't really surprise me -- I'm not exactly a babe magnet (or a dude magnet, for that matter). But I mean there's just, no love in the air here. On the off chance that people do date, its never serious. I just don't get it.

On a more personal note, if you can bear with my whining... I miss romance. I miss having someone, I miss love. Things are too muddled and complicated, on one side, and on the other, clear in its barren... utter lack of potential. There are fewer hot guys than can be counted on one hand, and even if there were, nobody would actually come out of the closet here. And none of the girls here are interested in me, of course. What really bites sometimes is how they will like complain to me about exactly what I'm whining about now, complain about the utter lack of guys here and that there's just nobody here to date, nobody looking for romance or anything - or at least nobody good. What can I say but 'ouch'?
I rather feel bad about whining about it, and its not like I'm gonna get all emo or anything over it - that's not my thing. I'm not unhappy or anything, just... romantically starved. I've just forgotten how nice romance is; I haven't been there for the longest time.

You old farts dont really think about it but, it's really a LOT harder for a teenager, a high-schooler, to get any, whether 'any' means sex or love. You guys got it easy.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
You old farts dont really think about it but, it's really a LOT harder for a teenager, a high-schooler, to get any, whether 'any' means sex or love. You guys got it easy.
I remember High School. My HS girlfriend wanted to save herself for marraige (damned the luck). Joined the military, we broke up, she got knocked up (not by me).

Now I'm married and going on 26 years. I'm not one into "sharing" my personal life on a public forum. But, I will say things are rather "nice" at home.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Everybody thinks that they have it harder. I think it's probably about the same.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Since I don't know what TAS is, I can't tell you why it is or is not romantic. I'm an old fart!
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Drax
Banned

Quote:
So, you can actually type something besides "No." Who knew.

And being a 37 year old manicly depressed, physically challenged, chronicly anxious individual ain't that easy either.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

I can't complain...I was part of a four year relationship all through highschool, I left him (for being a jerk) and a month later I was with my new boyfriend...we're 8 months and counting...and that's long-distance.

You are young (as I am), so maybe your fellow date-ees aren't mentally on the same path as you, and lemme tell you

THAT sucks.

If that's the case, the only thing you can do is wait it out. (I don't necessarily reccomend trying to date older folks, cause age doesn't always mean mentally mature)
Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
The old farts have it hard too. It's the college kids who have it easy. Everyone's breaking free, figuring out who they are, feeling the pressure to have more involved (if not more permanent) relationships... Then a large number of them run off and get married, and everyone remaining finds themselves right back where you are now.

The lesson: don't hold back in your twenties, and don't be lazy about it. Hunt her down and woo her, wherever she ends up being.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
...And being a 37 year old manicly depressed, physically challenged, chronicly anxious individual ain't that easy either.
At least you like cheese...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Ibby
erika

See, the difference is, you adults are free to pursue whatever you like, with no authority figure above you meddling, and furthermore the societal pressure is towards romance, rather than away from it like it is in high school.
Adults also have a lot fewer cliques, groups, rigidly defined social structures within their very limited pool of possibilities. Those also have a strong affect on the chances. Plus, being in an overseas high school I'm at an even greater disadvantage, because I can't really look for anybody outside the school, unless I wanna start cruising the Taipei European School...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
See, the difference is, you adults are free to pursue whatever you like, with no authority figure above you meddling, and furthermore the societal pressure is towards romance, rather than away from it like it is in high school.
Ibram, may I respectfully suggest that we old farts have more understanding of what being young was like, having been there, than you have understanding of being an old fart, having not been there yet.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
And being a 37 year old manicly depressed, physically challenged, chronicly anxious individual ain't that easy either.
if you haven't figured it out, dropping that into threads all sly like doesn't make us care more. be nice. then we care. you digging at ibram doesn't make you look cool, it's like the bully that picks on the younger kids. just knock it off.

Ibram, the thing is that at nearly every stage in your life you will be looking forward to the next one, "when it gets easier" or "i'll be free to", but ironically in the next breath you'll say things like, "it was so much easier when all i had to do was follow a few rules and chase uninterested skirts". Every stage has pros and cons. at this very moment, taking a snap shot of my life i can say that i'm living "the dream" at least how i pictured it when i was your age. but i catch myself thinking how nice it was when all i had to do was pass some tests, chase some skirts, and go to concerts. it's all about perspective.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
if you haven't figured it out, dropping that into threads all sly like doesn't make us care more. be nice. then we care. you digging at ibram doesn't make you look cool, it's like the bully that picks on the younger kids. just knock it off.
I wasn't being sly, and I wasn't trying to make you care. I was simply show ing Ibram that he's luckier than me.

At 16, Ibram may feel that he has problems, but at least he doesn't have to deal with being handicapped.

Also, I wasn't trying to be a bully, but don't you think that answering my posts with nothing other than "No" multiple times is a bit toddlerish?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
lookout123

No
Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
Drax
Banned

Don't you start with me.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
lookout123

sorry, i couldn't resist. that's the beauty of the cellar, we are all free to be dumbasses. just try not to be overly annoying about it. or something.

here's the thing, you've brought your disability into a couple of threads this week. it's not that i don't care... it's just that i don't care when it is dropped into a thread in such a way that it looks like it is meant to trump any weakness in your previous statement.

Take LJ for example. We all know he is seriously mentally challenged, and we respect and care for him because he doesn't make a point of telling us he is handicapped, he just lets us figure it out by reading his normal posts. Get the difference?

What? LJ isn't mentally challenged? and all this time I thought jinx was a saint for... aw, damn.*worldview crashes*