Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 08-28-2003, 11:27 PM   #46
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From Juju:
My wife says that Catholics aren't considered Christians. Is that true? I thought that in order to be a Christian you just had to "accept Jesus Christ as your savior"?
     Actually, this is a Southern Baptist based misnomer. Catholics aren't Protestant. However, most Southern Baptist will tell you they are Christian, not Protestant. This is incorrect, actually they are both. Don't see the connection yet? It works like this. Baptist is not Protestant, (at least many of them claim) it is THE Christian religion. If Catholics are neither Baptist nor Protestant they aren't Christian.
     I know this sounds bizarre but I've had the arguments over it. One guy even linked Baptist's with John the Baptist as if he founded the branch. Didn't say it outright, just suggested it.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:39 PM   #47
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by LUVBUGZ

I've always wondered about reincarnation. So, is there a set number of souls that just keep getting cycled through. If a baby is born is it a new soul or just one that has been reincarnated?
I suppose it depends on your personal beliefs. My favorite version of reincarnation is that new souls are created all the time (how else to explain the increase in population?), some are recycled, and some attain perfection and go on to join the All.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:41 PM   #48
Elspode

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
     Actually, this is a Southern Baptist based misnomer. Catholics aren't Protestant. However, most Southern Baptist will tell you they are Christian, not Protestant. This is incorrect, actually they are both. Don't see the connection yet? It works like this. Baptist is not Protestant, (at least many of them claim) it is THE Christian religion. If Catholics are neither Baptist nor Protestant they aren't Christian.
     I know this sounds bizarre but I've had the arguments over it. One guy even linked Baptist's with John the Baptist as if he founded the branch. Didn't say it outright, just suggested it.
Southern Baptists aren't alone in believing that their branch of Christianity is the *only* real way...but they are the most smug about it, or so it often seems to me.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:06 AM   #49
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Well, I don't know if 'smug' is the right word, but they do seem sure of themselves. Also they don't tend to take it well if you disagree with them about well anything. Doesn't sound like a problem? A mere difference of opinion? Heh, Southern Baptist friend of mine did joke that the possesion of a fire arm was required in order to join the church, and another assured me that the Gov should enforce 'morals' or let them do it. Their version of morals of course.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:38 AM   #50
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Did I miss something? How the hell did Baptists and Protestants get in the convo.? I beg to differ w/ your logic here.

Christian =a believer in Jesus as the Christ, or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus (Webster's def.)

Catholics fall under the def. of Christian, therefore Catholics are Christians. This has nothing to do w/ Baptists and Protestants.

Protestant = any Christian not belonging to the Roman Catholic or Orthodox Eastern Church (Webster's def.)

Baptist = a member of a Protestant denomination practicing baptism of believers by immersion (Webster's def.)

Catholics, Protestants, and Baptists are all Christians.
Protestants and Baptists are NOT Catholics.

Mama Loves You Baby Girl ~ May You Rest In Peace
LUVBUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:48 AM   #51
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

I suppose it depends on your personal beliefs. My favorite version of reincarnation is that new souls are created all the time (how else to explain the increase in population?), some are recycled, and some attain perfection and go on to join the All.
That's what I was thinking, that new souls had to be created to explain the population increase. So, your soul keeps cycling through until it's perfect, then it no longer gets reincarnated. Isn't this like what the Hindu's or Buddhist's believe. I guess I could look it up.

What do you mean by going to join "the All"? What's "the All"? Or is that a typo?

Old 08-29-2003, 12:43 PM   #52
Elspode

The concept of The All, as I understand it, is that all things are inextricably intertwined. There are a lot of variations on the theme, but essentially, the universe itself is a kind of consciousness, a matrix upon which all energy flow is inscribed (I recommend reading the book "The Holographic Universe" for a very interesting and provocative treatment of this theory).

During corporal existence, our experiences and actions (which, let's face it, all involve the flow of energy) are imprinted upon that, but we have a separate identity (spirit? consciousness?) from The All. When we leave the physical plane of existence, our accumulated energies return to the "pool" of energies that is the universe, to either be returned for another shot at achieving "perfection" (whatever the hell that is), or at some point, to become integrated into that pool.

The notion of The All appeals to me on many levels, but I would really like an explanation of how our individual consciouness is extricated from the pool for our corporeal existences, then returned to the pool, then extricated again, and so on.

Again, I don't have the answers...just some thoughts.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:59 PM   #53
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Hey El, I was wondering about your opinion on whether or not "Ley Lines" exist, and your views on what they are.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 02:00 PM   #54
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
The notion of The All appeals to me on many levels, but I would really like an explanation of how our individual consciouness is extricated from the pool for our corporeal existences, then returned to the pool, then extricated again, and so on.

Again, I don't have the answers...just some thoughts.
Yes, The All does sound interesting and a lot better than going to hell I might add. This concept might explain why some people "feel" or "sense" that they have lived on earth in another form. I mean like lived during another era, during another space in time. I have recently been watching a TV show called "Crossroads". I'm not sure if it airs where you live or if you have seen it, but this guy (can't remember his name) is a "medium" who validates messages sent from "the other side" to his guests who are on "this side". He gives them "a reading". I use to just click past this show thinking that it is a bunch of crap, a hoax if you will, but stopped one time to actually watch it. Of course it could be a huge hoax created for ratings, but if it isn't I find it quite interesting. Along w/ easing loved ones minds that their friends and family members are OK and are in a "safe place" now it seems to show that there *is* a "spiritual life" after death. I also find it interesting that none of these people who have passed appear to be "in hell". Now that could be all part of the hoax too, but if not it's nice to know your soul won't be burning in hell for eternity after your body has died. At the same time though there is no suggestion that these souls will be coming back, ie. reincarnated. Maybe only the "perfect" souls are able to come through and reveal themselves to "this side". These are all very interesting thoughts to ponder

Old 08-29-2003, 03:15 PM   #55
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
Did I miss something? How the hell did Baptists and Protestants get in the convo.? I beg to differ w/ your logic here.
     LuvBugz, if you go back you'll find that I was responding to something Juju said. Heck, I even quoted him. What his wife was saying, as I previously pointed out, is a common misconception among the Southern Baptists I've known. That's how they got involved.
     I actually stated the idea to be incorrect in my post, even used the words misnomer, incorrect and bizzare. I assume you misunderstood me, and were seeking to inform instead of treating me like I'm stupid. Thanks for the definitions, but I was well aware of them. Please reread my post and notice what I said. This is not my logic, just some stupidity that I've argued over on many occasions. Also, I hate that particular misconception becasue it's based in ignorance about the origin of the religion these people follow.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So your soul gets recycled until it reaches perfection, then becomes part of "God". Like Syc.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:41 AM   #57
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:

LuvBugz, if you go back you'll find that I was responding to something Juju said. Heck, I even quoted him. What his wife was saying, as I previously pointed out, is a common misconception among the Southern Baptists I've known. That's how they got involved.
     I actually stated the idea to be incorrect in my post, even used the words misnomer, incorrect and bizzare. I assume you misunderstood me, and were seeking to inform instead of treating me like I'm stupid. Thanks for the definitions, but I was well aware of them. Please reread my post and notice what I said. This is not my logic, just some stupidity that I've argued over on many occasions. Also, I hate that particular misconception becasue it's based in ignorance about the origin of the religion these people follow.
Whit, yes I realized you were responding to Juju's post, but I didn't understand the lack of logic in your reply and why Baptists and Protestants where being mentioned. I understand now that you were reiterating someone else's idea's to show how illogical they are and not your own. Just to make sure we're on the same page though....you do agree with my logical deduction that Catholics, along with Baptists and Protestants, are all Christians?

Old 08-30-2003, 07:30 AM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How do you know that Webster isn't the Devil?
Old 08-30-2003, 08:23 AM   #59
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
So your soul gets recycled until it reaches perfection, then becomes part of "God". Like Syc.
Yeah, and it only took 226 recyclings.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 04:31 PM   #60
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From LUVBUGZ
Just to make sure we're on the same page though....you do agree with my logical deduction that Catholics, along with Baptists and Protestants, are all Christians?
     Oh, most certainly. In fact, I've tried to convince many Southern Baptist's of this. I think one or two may have actually listened to me.
     Oh, by the by, I was speaking to a well traveled friend the on the subject and he says it isn't just a southern thing, he's heard it up north too. So maybe it's a Baptist, as opposed to Southern Baptist idea.

Syc, 226? Damn... I'm only on cycle 42...

Bruce, Webster the Devil? Could be, it would explain why he still looks like a 9 year old.