The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #1051
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

My skin graft totally failed. Came right off with the dressing change today. So now I'm an add-on to the surgery list for Monday afternoon for a second try at a graft, local anesthetic only so I can drive home. Write an exam in the morning, quarterly evaluation at noon, surgery later, home. I'll have a ginormous disgusting vacuum-drain that I'll have to literally carry around in a little black case - the tech simpers and says, 'it's just like a purse!'. Uh huh. I'll have a great time teaching the med students next week, lugging that around.

My total-body scan was a little equivocal, too. Some nodes that look positive but may be inflammatory, since it's only 5 weeks post-surgery. An AC joint that's hot on one side only; the radiologist says degenerative, which is cool, but I've never personally seen a degenerative joint that lit up lit a bonfire on only one side. So, whatever.

I'm so ready for something, anything, to go right in this medical snafu. Going to take a nap and try to forget about this stuff.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #1052
glatt

Sorry orthodoc. That's disappointing.

2 steps forward one one step back, but at least you're going forward.

You can do this.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #1053
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

dang ortho! sorry to hear that, but like glatt said, you'll get through it
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #1054
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Thanks, guys. I can only go forward, I know. Just hit a low point today. It feels like, just let me catch a break, just one break, you know? 'Course, my scan didn't light up all over like a Christmas tree, so I guess that IS my break. And a good one.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #1055
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

sorry about that orthodoc.......you know we are all rooting for you. I really like your positive attitude. I think that is one of the most important steps to getting well
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #1056
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ortho, sorry about your skin graft. At least it wasn't corruption.

that was medical humor.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #1057
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

When you tell something personal about yourself (as embarrassing as it may be) to try to lend to the topic at hand, and someone ignores you and makes you feel like a fucking asshole for having anything to say about it.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #1058
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's scorching your groove today?

Name:  marijuanaconfiscation.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  148.9 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #1059
infinite monkey

I feel like the commercial with the litter and the native american man and the single tear running down his face.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #1060
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Looks like the army are helping some hippies build a straw bale house. What's wrong with that?

(Yeah, I know, that is "special" straw!)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #1061
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

what's on that guy's head?

what IS that stuff?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #1062
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
When you tell something personal about yourself (as embarrassing as it may be) to try to lend to the topic at hand, and someone ignores you and makes you feel like a fucking asshole for having anything to say about it.
me, too.

mostly, though, I just get ignored. Maybe b/c I'm too frivolous for these deep thinkers here 'bouts with all their incredibly intricate arguments that go exactly nowhere.

there have been people here in the cellar who have influenced me, though.

first one would be Dana; Clodfobble, Tony, Pat, wolf (first second amendment loving republican pagan I've ever met), and MaggieL who taught me that no matter WHAT sex you are or perceive yourself to be you CAN be a gigantic asshole. Cat Woman taught me that English women can be horrid bitches and Cherry taught me that English women can be warm, wonderful and compassionate as well as hilarious. Monster was the first ex-Brit living here that I ever knew (that I know of) and Pam was just simply....sublime.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #1063
glatt

this ignoring thing is ridiculous.

This is a forum, not a room with people talking. It's not like you are standing there talking to someone's face, and they just walk away. There's a time delay here. If you post something, there is no guarantee that it will be read right away. Even if it is read away, it may stand on its own merits and not need any sort of acknowledgement. Perhaps a post needs to be mulled over a little bit before it's responded to. Perhaps the person who read it only had a minute to check the Cellar and then had to go off and do something in real life. And speaking personally, there is no obligation for me to respond to every post that I read. There are hundreds of posts a day by all the dwellars, and I only write a handful myself. I'm not ignoring the ones that I don't respond to, but I don't have the time or energy to respond to everything. If something is directed to me personally, I'm probably going to respond to it, but I might not, because I might see the point being made as standing on its own. I don't see a need to say "yeah, good point."

I know (pretty sure, anyway) this ignoring claim isn't being directed at me specifically, but I think that other dwellars probably have perspectives that are similar to my own.

If someone shares a deeply personal story, I can understand a feeling of insecurity or of putting oneself out there and a desire to be responded to immediately, but that's just not how the Cellar is structured. There is a time delay. It's not a room with people talking face to face.

Based on all the responses I see you two getting, I wouldn't say either one of you is ignored. Some individual posts are not responded to, sure, but that happens to absolutely every dweller. Many posts by most people are not responded to.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #1064
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

all good points, glatt.

sometimes I'm just PMS'ing, ya know? (wink)

sometimes I'm just bitchy. today I'm semi-bitchy. I need my meds. I DO! I admit it. I'm going to go take them right *now*.

but, really. You're right.

—James Barrie

Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #1065
infinite monkey

Well hoo haa haaa.

Seriously, the lecture was unnecessary. I feel what I feel and I see what I see and I've already talked about it to an appropriate person so really you don't need to make me feel worse about it.

Of course there are people who maybe had a toe hair caught in their shoe and you'll get 75,000 posts of sympathy and advice and cooing sounds of lamentation, and there are people some just can't be bothered with. It's certainly up to each individual to assess their own situation and viewpoint...whether they're being silly that they just laid their heart out there and they envision, after viewing all the 28 or 29 views the thread has received without a response, people sticking their noses in the air just out of spite. Because, you know, they already have you all figured out and they know that your only problem is simply that you're a fucking bitch from hell...while they start a website to bring public attention to stuck toe hairs and take donations for the necessary medical research needed so that we can finally combat fucking stuck toe hairs.
No one, ever, had a stuck toe hair before...or maybe the public is just more aware of the toe hair problem and feel it's time to stop hiding it and deal with it.

Anyway, I heard all of what you said before, when I sought advice, only in a much kinder way (i.e. not in a 'just get over yourself' kind of way but in a show of understanding whether I deserved it or not.)

But it is also a fact that understanding isn't always so understanding.

So that post was indeed MY issue, and I dealt with it. I thank you for the reminder, though.

Now can I get on with being the funniest person on the planet? Great.