The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ever Seen a Really Big, Bright Comet Go Around the Sun?

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/...current_c3.mpg

Southern Hemisphere viewers are living fat, dumb and happy right about now. One of the brightest comets in human history at present, Comet McNaught.

Edit: This link probably changes, so if it doesn't show the comet, just look in the archives under the same instrument, LASCO C3.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Els, I'm afraid I don't understand your humour - you are trying to be funny, aren't you?

BTW, Rob McNaught is an Aussie.

We have tried the last three nights to see the comet, without success. The SW horizon has been too cloudy for us to see the comet. Hopefully, as it rises above the horizon as the week progresses, we will get to see it, even if it is faint at the time.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Irie
Kinda n00b Member

Interesting photo. I wish they could have shown it with a little bit more context, but still very interesting. Maybe it's Pluto leaving in exile. jerks
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Elspode

Okay, okay...be patient, BD. You *will* be living fat, dumb and happy as soon as the object climbs a little higher in the sky.

Cheer up. I never saw the damn thing at all last week when it was at its brightest. Besides, if you know where to look, it can be seen in daylight right now, so no more whining. Plus, it is summer down there, and we're iced in up to our asses.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Elspode

This topic sure ran out in a hurry. The link is to the most current Lasco C3 video, so content changes daily. You'll have to look back in the archives to see McNaught now.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Okay, okay...be patient, BD. You *will* be living fat, dumb and happy as soon as the object climbs a little higher in the sky.

Cheer up. I never saw the damn thing at all last week when it was at its brightest. Besides, if you know where to look, it can be seen in daylight right now, so no more whining. Plus, it is summer down there, and we're iced in up to our asses.
First, I'm not fat, I have several degrees, and we don't get a get good view from our place because we have gum trees stretching from the West to South, so our view is blocked. I am now retired, so to that extent, I am happy.

As the comet climbs, its brightness declines. I believe that by the time it clears the tree line, it will be too faint to view without a telescope. At least I have seen plenty of images on the Net.

We are in the middle of the worst drought ever in Australia. Yesterday there was good, heavy rain in parts of the centre, extending into the western parts of the Eastern states, but on the coast we have had no rain. Our dams are down to 20-30%, some are empty. Our water situation is desperate. The temperature today in my area is predicted to be up to 40C (that's 104F).
Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Easy Dave, "fat, dumb and happy' is an American expression describing a reasonably pleasant condition, not an accusatory remark.

Retired? What happened, your boss catch you goofing off in the Inconvenient Truth thread? Well, it good that you can spend more time here sharing your knowledge.

Oh, this is the comet in your neck of the woods. The photographer said that dark sky above the trees was smoke from Aussie fires.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:48 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Thanks Bruce. I actually printed that comet image two days ago, so that at least we can see it on paper, if not in real life.

No problems with my retirement. I have been semi retired for a few years anyway, and decided it was time to have some fun. I'll still contribute a little research, but it will be strictly on an interest basis.

Els: sorry that I misunderstood. We only speak English down here, not American.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:35 AM   #9
Torrere
a real smartass

Permalink:
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/hotsh...ught_small.mpg
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Just thought you guys might like to know that the temperature at my place yesterday was 43C. That's 109F! It looks like we are sucking all the heat out of the Northern Hemisphere. We have seen the freezing conditions you are experiencing, on the TV news. It would be nice if we could mix the air currents, and come out with a comfortable 25C (73F).
Old 01-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Seen this one Dave?

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:48 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
bluesdave
Getting older every day

No Bruce, I haven't. It is a fantastic shot. I wonder if there is a higher definition version of the image available, or is the image blocky because it was taken at a high ISO (ASA) setting?

Don't worry Bruce, I just discovered that it is today's Astronomy Picture of the Day, so I downloaded the larger version. Thanks.

Last edited by bluesdave; 01-22-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Found image
bluesdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave View Post
Don't worry Bruce, I just discovered that it is today's Astronomy Picture of the Day, so I downloaded the larger version. Thanks.
I still need to find a bigger version -- or maybe they're holding out for full-size posters? I also looked through the Wikipedia selection, hoping someone had posted a large, high quality pic -- no dice. Some aren't bad composition-wise, but the quality ain't high.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I was just looking too - I can't believe there isn't one large enough online to download.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:47 AM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yeah, B-Dave; the local citrus crops have taken quite a hit from freezing temps in the orchards three or four days running, likewise the early strawberry, avocado, and some other vegetable crops. It's been bad enough for the state government to declare a disaster area in this and other counties up into the agricultural regions of the Central Valley. It will probably take much of the year to recover generally, and ag-sector workers -- pickers, cropdusters, shippers and haulers -- are in for a rough time.

About all we can say is that the citrus growers in Florida, the other big citrus area in the States, are going to do well -- hell, they're going to make out like bandits out of the rising prices.