The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #91
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I don't think they can blame this on ACORN either. But maybe they'll find a way, I don't know.

Quote:
Ontario police arrest man in voter fraud case
Mark Jacoby, who owns a firm hired by the California Republican Party, violated state laws with his own registration, authorities say.
By Evan Halper, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 20, 2008
SACRAMENTO -- The owner of a firm that the California Republican Party hired to register tens of thousands of voters this year was arrested in Ontario over the weekend on suspicion of voter registration fraud.

State and local investigators allege that Mark Jacoby fraudulently registered himself to vote at a childhood California address where he no longer lives so he would appear to meet the legal requirement that all signature gatherers be eligible to vote in California. His firm, Young Political Majors, or YPM, collects petition signatures and registers voters in California and other states.

Jacoby's arrest by state investigators and the Ontario Police Department late Saturday came after dozens of voters said they were duped into registering as Republicans by people employed by YPM. The voters said YPM workers tricked them by saying they were signing a petition to toughen penalties against child molesters.

The firm was paid $7 to $12 for every Californian it registered as a member of the GOP.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3842357.story
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #92
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Nice find Blue. This whole situation is ridiculous on both sides. Isn't there a better way to register people to vote? Then again, if they aren't willing to take the initiative to register themselves, maybe they shouldn't vote.
I just got this one emailed to me.

Quote:
GOTHAM-TO-OHIO VOTE SCAM EYED
NYERS' HOME AWAY FROM HOME PROBED AS A FRAUD OUTPOST

October 20, 2008

Four well-heeled New York Democrats are under investigation by an Ohio prosecutor for setting up a temporary home in the swing state - where two have already cast their ballots - just so that their votes will be counted there, The Post has learned.

The targets of the probe - including the daughter and son-in-law of a New York City real-estate titan, a former New York Sun reporter and a Bank of New York Mellon executive - are connected to Vote From Home, a Manhattan-based political action committee set up to get voters to the polls in Ohio, where residents are allowed to cast ballots 29 days before Election Day, investigators said.

The New Yorkers and nine other members from across the country are accused of packing themselves into a modest three-bedroom house in Columbus, waiting 30 days - and then registering, even though the Buckeye State is not their permanent residence.

Under Ohio law, a person who comes to the state for "temporary purposes only," without the intention of making it the "permanent place of abode" is not considered a resident. New permanent residents must live in Ohio 30 days before registering.

Four group members, including two of the New Yorkers, have already cast ballots, and six others requested absentee ballots from the county elections board.

Franklin County, Ohio, prosecutor Ron O'Brien launched the investigation after student reporters at palestra.net, a Fox News affiliate, discovered the mass registration effort at the home in a working-class neighborhood on Brownlee Avenue.

"Our board of elections referred 13 suspicious registrations to us, all from people with out-of-state addresses, all of whom claim to be living in a three-bedroom house in Columbus," O'Brien said Friday.

Vote From Home is registered to the East 82nd Street brownstone of Heather Halstead, daughter of Halstead Properties founder Clark Halstead Jr. She and her husband, NYU grad Marc Gustafson, are among those under scrutiny.

A subsequent Post review of election-board and other records found the New Yorkers involved are:
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #93
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

No ACORN was just the start of the non-profit witch burning. It's just too late now anyway. There aren't too many undecideds left. That movie "W" probably cleaned up the rest.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #94
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

That may be true - well that and time is running out.

I've been looking into voter fraud and found a lot of stuff that just further sickens me about our entire system. Not that I have any answers, but I did find this place - I'm not gonna quote any of it cuz I don't have time to fully verify it, but it looks like an interesting site.

ballotpedia/Acorn

Anybody else heard of it or knew anything about it.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #95
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
There aren't too many undecideds left. That movie "W" probably cleaned up the rest.
Has anyone here seen "W" or know anyone who has seen "W"? It's a movie that I don't understand. Not the plot (I haven't seen it) but simply the fact that it was made in the first place.

I'm a Bush hater, and I have no desire to see this movie. From the ads, it appears to make Bush seem like a moron, so I'd guess that Bush lovers (if there are still any left) wouldn't be interested in seeing it either. There are a few moderate swing voters here, do any of you have interest in seeing "W"?

I'm just am amazed that they made this movie. I would be surprised if anyone goes to see it. I predict it will lose a lot of money.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #96
Cicero

I just watched a documentary that included how to hack a memory card for electronic voting. It seemed just too easy. Diebold has since changed the 16 security issues it had with memory cards, but that just means there were 16 ways to easily hack into it without any residual record of it ever being hacked. It is password protected but you can get into it through another method so there is no record of actually ever having been there. The information is saved as the original and looks genuine. The Tallahasee elections department had a separate inquiry done because of the pressure to use vendors that were not voted on by the people. They feel pressure to use the software and the vendor of the software makes no bones about who is in charge there. They want the software and vendors to be fully investigated for security issues before they are forced into using the software again. Diebold is still in play however, and the elections department heads are not comforted by this fact after they hired a security company to hack the software....Diebold is claiming that what the elections department did was illegal, and hiring a security company to do it was also illegal. But once it got out there was nothing they could do but correct the software issues before it became litigation. I hold no confidence in the election process and I think we need to go back to paper and use pens. And until this is done I have no confidence whatsoever in the outcome. Blackbox voting has been following the vote tampering since 2001. Congress turned down the investigation, due to the havoc it would create to inspire doubt. So lets keep on keeping on...go ahead. Mark your ballots. A lesson in futility. People fought for the right to vote, and died as well. Let's keep this in mind. We should be really sure about what we are doing before we move forward. I am not a technophobe, it's the fact that I love technology and I know how easy it is to make things look legit that are not, quite easily. Once I heard that memory cards were used I knew it was a joke. Now I got to see that I was right..That joke is not funny.

There's a fancy term for it...voter supression.

I just saw W yesterday glatt. Along with a lot of other people, and I was surprised at the turn out.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #97
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I'm not interested in 'W'. Even if it is a farce. Its a farce we have lived with for the last 8 years. Why revisit it?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #98
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I just watched a documentary that included how to hack a memory card for electronic voting. It seemed just too easy.
That is called a kludge. Only sufficient memory card is one that can only increment a counter, cannot be written to, and can be read at any time. When voting is done, this card then goes into the storage facility of history where noone can change those numbers - can only increment a counter.

Obviously, if the number of voters is less than the numbers in those counters, then fraud is detected.

If you can write to the existing card - change any number - then the card has no security. Diebold voting machines will always be flawed if using standard memory cards. No kludge will solve that problem.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #99
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post

If you can write to the existing card - change any number - then the card has no security. Diebold voting machines will always be flawed if using standard memory cards. No kludge will solve that problem.
Telling me stuff I know already again....kthx. Not that you read responses. Talk at me some more. I think it's awesome to be talked at. Love it love it. Gimme moar....MOAR!!

T dub....I am left no choice but to shake my head at you.

I am so glad you came up with that response all by your self. I already described the hack in general terms. The hack on the memory card. Golly t dub.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #100
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Telling me stuff I know already again....kthx.
Based upon what was posted, you did not know it. But then whether you did or not is irrelevant. The posts are not for your benefit. The post was for the benefit of 39+ other poeple who did not know a software patch can never fix defective hardware.

You only said security could be hacked. Therefore a proper security patch commonly used in other systems could have solved it? Software to fix hardware was not mentioned and was provided for other's benefit and discussion.

Diebold is putting lipstick on a pig. Maybe you feared Sarah Palin's inevitable attacks. Therefore you forgot to mention what is acceptable security in other systems is completely unacceptable in voting machines.

Sorry. Next time I will remember I am only posting only for you - not for the other 39 who might like to expand on the subject.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #101
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

tw told us years ago, why Diabold and other electronic voting machines were flawed, in great detail. I assume little has change in the voting machine market and his critique is still valid.
http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6974
Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #102
Cicero

If you aren't speaking to me and others, don't quote me. Thnx.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #103
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A quick search indicates that, in a country of 300 million people, there hasn't been a single conviction for tampering with an electronic voting machine. Indeed there's plenty of evidence that the machines are flawed, but it would appear there is not a single documented case of anyone exploiting them.

moveon.org hasn't paid their $250,000 reward for finding such a case
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #104
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
The post was for the benefit of 39+ other poeple who did not know a software patch can never fix defective hardware.
Patches don't fix hardware, I mean duh, but they very often route around defective hardware to create working systems.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #105
Cicero

Congress shut down the inquiries into it. They mentioned instilling "doubt" as the real threat. I am going to agree with the Tallahasse elections dept. on this one. The vendor holds tons of power, and they want the vote to go to the people on who to use. They have their "doubts". I wonder why the vendor would trump the department. I say if any elections department is feeling uneasy with the vendor they have to use they should have the power to look at it, and choose another vendor.