The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #46
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
My point is more along the lines of:

If you cut a dog's tail off, and then breed it, it will not produce puppies with short tails.
If you cut off the tails of 100 generations of 100 lines of the same breed of dog, wouldn't they eventually start evolving shorter tails? I thought that was one of the basic tenets of evolutionary science -- that the environment can make us change over time. Like back when we were apes, we started standing upright to see over the tall grass, and it stuck.

I'm really not joking.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #47
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, the tail size is written in the DNA. But if you neutered the dogs with long tails, and only bred the short-tailed ones, after a few generations, they would all have short tails. If you tried to breed them for shorter and shorter tails, eventually they would have no tail.

All dogs are the same species -- even the chihuahua and the great dane. They've simply been bred for specific purposes for a few hundred years. But if the dane has sex with the huahua, they will have a litter of dogs.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #48
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
snip~
If you tried to breed them for shorter and shorter tails, eventually they would have no tail.~/snip
yeaaaaah, but then we'd all have to look at their assholes all the time, and what fun would that be? I mean really.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #49
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Don't you have cats at the Lumberjinx homestead?

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #50
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
But if the dane has sex with the huahua, they will have a litter of dogs.
As long as the dane is the female. Otherwise, there may be some rupturing issues.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #51
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
If you cut off the tails of 100 generations of 100 lines of the same breed of dog, wouldn't they eventually start evolving shorter tails? I thought that was one of the basic tenets of evolutionary science -- that the environment can make us change over time. Like back when we were apes, we started standing upright to see over the tall grass, and it stuck.

I'm really not joking.
No matter how many generations of women get their ears pierced, they won't be born with the holes. For evolution to happen, the change has to be in the DNA, and DNA isn't affected by injuries (radiation excepted, not that radiation effects are predictable). Evolution happens if a dog happens to have a short tail, and that somehow lets it have more babies. The next generation of dogs would then have a slightly larger percentage of short-tail dogs in its population, who would have a few more babies than average, further increasing the percentage of short-tail dogs in the next generation population. Eventually, they are the vast majority, and the species has evolved.

Here's a thought experiment relating to your example - Let's assume a predator that loves dog tail. If it sees a pack of dogs, it tries to bite off a tail. If it succeeds, that dog has a chance of getting an infection and dieing. Therefore, dogs with long tails attract more attacks, and have a correspondingly high death rate. Short tails are hard to get a hold on, so they fare better, and a mutant dog with no tail will escape unscathed.

But in a clinical trial, if you snip off the tails of some dogs, and then make sure each one survives the procedure and has the same number of babies, those babies will have roughly the same range of tail sizes as the parent generation, no matter how many generations you continue the experiment for.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 01-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #52
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
As long as the dane is the female. Otherwise, there may be some rupturing issues.
Like this?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #53
Happy Monkey

Yeah, but a great dane is considerably more than twice the size of a chihuahua, and dogs have multiple births as a general rule...
|_______________| [pics]
Old 01-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #54
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Via Boingboing. We'll miss you, tiny freakish kitten!
Attached Images

Last edited by Kitsune; 01-13-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #55
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

...And someday, thousands of years from now, anthropologists will assume that as a society we worshipped a mythical cyclops cat, whose all-seeing eye governed our daily lives.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #56
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
...And someday, thousands of years from now, anthropologists will assume that as a society we worshipped a mythical cyclops cat, whose all-seeing eye governed our daily lives.
you mean we don't?

D'OH!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #57
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
you mean we don't?
Of course we do!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #58
AstroJetson
Rapscallion

Only on IotD, Greek and Bio-lessons over a cat

And who modded IotD down on the educational scores. I've learned more useless greek info (unless there are hot greek girls reading this) and bio / genetics in the last few moments than I picked up in school.

Maybe you could offer the BS in IotD as a degree program.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, lt that be a lesson to you.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #60
AureliusVin
Expectorant Inspector

I can clearly see that it's fake. Beside, kittens that young don't even have their eyes open, simple fact. The originator of the hoax should be turned into a cyclops.
AureliusVin is offline   Reply With Quote