The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Romantic Movie Sucker

Ok. I'm a girl. I'm not a "girly" girl, really, though. But last week I watched a dvd of a BBC mini series that made me sigh and remember that I am a very avid heterosexual female and a sucker for a well done costume drama. A friend recommended it and I found it via netflix. Apparently the movie has had a similar affect on a large number of women, crashed the bbc chat board back in the day and helped push the film onto dvd . It has not been broadcast in the US, so you have to go find it. Its worth it. sigh.

The film is from 2004 (I think) and called North & South- but its not about the US civil war. It is based on a Victorian novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, set in 1850 UK. It stars Richard Armitage as John Thornton finding his way in the young textile mill industry. And the whole cast is great, but I must say, he is mighty fine. sigh.

So. Has anyone seen this?
Do you have a favorite to share?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

wait. is that the one with the repetitive soundtrack that uses a lot of Boom chika bowbooow?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch View Post
Ok. I'm a girl. I'm not a "girly" girl, really, though. But last week I watched a dvd of a BBC mini series that made me sigh and remember that I am a very avid heterosexual female and a sucker for a well done costume drama. A friend recommended it and I found it via netflix. Apparently the movie has had a similar affect on a large number of women, crashed the bbc chat board back in the day and helped push the film onto dvd . It has not been broadcast in the US, so you have to go find it. Its worth it. sigh.

The film is from 2004 (I think) and called North & South- but its not about the US civil war. It is based on a Victorian novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, set in 1850 UK. It stars Richard Armitage as John Thornton finding his way in the young textile mill industry. And the whole cast is great, but I must say, he is mighty fine. sigh.

So. Has anyone seen this?
Do you have a favorite to share?
Girl? No. Girly? No. Sucker for a Romantic Movie? Yes.

Although I haven't seen the one you describe, I do have some favorites of my own.

What Dreams May Come.

Field of Dreams.

Big Fish.

I'll review the movie rack at home. I'm certain there are some I'm forgetting. I've had a pretty steady diet of other stuff (anime, tv series...) and I'd be happy to refresh my memory.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

Well...it starts as a slow gentle piano solo...foreplay, you know. The boomchicka hits you later, internalized. : )

North & South is kinda Charles Dickens meets Jane Austen.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
binky
all hollowed out

I did an IMDB search on Richard Armitage, and....YUM
Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I like costume dramas a lot, and romantic films, if they are somewhat comedic and well done, not sappy. "Love, Actually" and "Notting Hill" are both terrific films, for example.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I liked Love Actually because although I think it was sappy (sorry 'Spode) it also hurt. I like films with real pain in them, not the saccharine replacement version you often get in blockbusters.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Richard Armitage, and....YUM
Oh yes my friend, one is riveted by Thornton.
(And I'm not even calling up his Guy of Gisborne for a whole other facet of nuclear hotness. gulp).

Elspode you'd like this. Seriously check out N&S on dvd. This is just a great story, well done. It is beautifully shot in great locations to create 1850s Manchester-like city. I'm fond of shots from Edinburgh, the narrow old dark streets and that great park overlooking the city (I was there sooooo long ago), and in textile mill museums they brought to life (maybe that's the weaver in me). also Sinead Cusack nails a great role as Thornton's strong mother. All the performances are really good.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
shina
Hopeful

Love Actually is great movie. How about 'Out of Africa'.
shina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

Its been a while since Ive seen Out of Africa, I just remember Meryl Streep did an amazing job. Redford (like Pitt) is always just a bit too pretty for my tastes. But wasnt there a great scene with tents and a gramaphone? : )
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I liked, "Much Ado About Nothing" 90's version? Very lighthearted and fun.
Oh here:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm82942464/tt0107616

I also thought, "Eternal Sunshine of A Spotless Mind" was very romantic in the intense way. I like Jim Carrey when he is being serious. Almost really handsome! (but just handsome)

Oh and "What Dreams May Come" was awesome...good one BigV!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks Cicero. Your picks are also favorites of mine, both of which we own. The bantering between Emma Thompson and Kenneth Brannagh is priceless. More correctly, Shakespeare's dialog is masterful, and they honor it by delivering superb performances. Props to Keanau and Denzel too yo!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

2 of my favorites are Chocolat and Don Juan DeMarco - both Johnny Depp movies, which doesn't hurt.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

Hey, I can get behind Much Ado, too. Emma Thompson...her Sense and Sensibility was pretty good.

I still love the movie Truly, Madly Deeply with Juliet Stevenson Alan Rickman. again, just enough of an edge to avoid the big sappy. Lots of great textiles in the art direction, too.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

hmmmm. my fav Depp romantic roll was Finding Neverland. I liked that movie very much.