The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

4/25/2005: Cow on roof as art

Santiago Chile: This cow has been placed there specifically by a 10-story crane. The animal is on top of the roof of the building.

According to the full story, the cow was kidnapped on the way to the slaughterhouse, and is being well cared-for until it will be released into a nature preserve.

I doubt it was actually kidnapped; it would be just as easy to pay someone for their end-of-the-road milk cow and just say it was kidnapped. It's just not a good idea to commit a crime and then announce it from the tops of buildings. Even on the way to its death, it still has some value.

The mark of that value has been put into the modern vernacular: the "brand". I should think that a modern US milk cow would not have branding, but ear tags, and tattoos, and now probably even RFID tags embedded in the skin somewhere.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Art or pay-per-view?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

could you imagine the mess if they got lazy and decided to just shovel the manure over the edge of that ten story building?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Thumbs down

Art?
I'm sure the cow isn't enjoying the spectacle as much as the eccentric origionator. I wonder if they told the cow that is was an act of compassion, and if so did she understand and agree. I'm no PETA freak, trust me, but this is ridiculous. I would have had a lot more respect for these "artists" had they posossed the talent to create a realistic relica of the subject and displayed it. But then they'd have had to get off their sorry asses and actually created ART.
I'm also intrigued about this "game reserve" they mentioned (very briefly) in the article. I've visited dozens of reserves and have yet to see a cow, for chrissake......... seems to me this concept parallels taking your dog to the park and abandoning him when you are "through" with him, along with your best wishes.
I feel in the end the poor cow will wish she hadn't been "kidnapped". I think the nature reserve story is bullshit. Just my opinion.
Besides, I love steak. I can't help but wonder where this animal actually WILL wind up. Probably wasted.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I love steak
best steak in the world? kissimee steakhouse, florida. beats the snot out of Ruth's Chris, Houston's, Dillon's, or any others i've ever had.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

" You will see a Cow! on the roof of a Cotten house ,,, ummmmhu !!"
Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Been there, done that.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
LCanal
I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Best steak I ever had was in Argentina. Then again the recently awarded "Best Restaurant In The World" is in the UK. Not a country known for its cuisine.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmmm....Nature preserve......South America......anaconda and jaguar and puma......and steak.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
floki
slacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Even on the way to its death, it still has some value.
I suppose especially on its way to death it has value, 'cause that's why they kill it.
floki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Torrere
a real smartass

Wow. I really like that picture.

Wouldn't it be interesting if all of our skyscrapers were topped by pastures and cows?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
glatt

I think it would look cool if many of our skyscrapers were topped with gardens that had hanging vines drooping down the sides of the buildings like hair.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #13
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I don't know about art.. but it is an interesting juxtaposition with the grassy mini-field on top of a building, surrounded by an urban setting.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:32 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have a hard time justifying the torture of the cow as part of the artistic and political statement. (That's what performance artists are for. One of those bastards should be in the middle of that green patch, chewing grass for a couple of days, painted in white and black spots, and wearing a pair of fake tits.)

Cows, no matter what you may have heard about jumping over the moon, do not like being hoisted in a belly band by a crane ...

Shame on you, pretentious artiste.

Further shame for the plan to release the cow into a "nature preserve". Cows are herd animals. They like the companionship of other cows. They do not like becoming lunch for large predators that also tend to run freely in nature preserves. Large predators will not do her the courtesy of a good milking twice a day, nor will it give her hide a good brush up, and a nice rub about the ears and horns.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #15
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
could you imagine the mess if they got lazy and decided to just shovel the manure over the edge of that ten story building?

Boy does that bring back memories. When I was a kid visiting my uncle's farm in the summer we used to run around barefoot like most kids. The squish of cool manure in the barn felt good on a hot day!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote