The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2002, 01:39 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

11/18/2002: Army patrol in Afghanistan

This is from last Friday's MSNBC Pic of the Week. An Afghan man and his son watch as soldiers from the U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division prepare to inspect their home Nov. 7 in southeastern Afghanistan. Soldiers discovered over a dozen mines and grenades, 14 rocket-propelled grenades and plastic explosives as they searched several compounds.

I thought it was interesting because you see the guy's place, and it contrasts with the soldiers. The guy and his kid are calmer than I would be if faced with three accomplished killers in full gear. I also thought it was interesting because you see what regular army gear is in Afghanistan. These guys have very serious fanny packs and how much video do those headsets capture?

Notice, too, how their fingers are all carefully off-trigger.

And notice the kid's sweater. Stylin'. Hey, is that an Afghan?

And isn't the guy on the left Ryan Stiles of "Who's Line" and "Drew Carey" fame?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
Tobiasly
hot

Those aren't video headsets; they're mounting brackets for night-vision goggles.

Last edited by Tobiasly; 11-18-2002 at 01:59 PM.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:03 PM   #3
Tobiasly
hot

This picture is kinda interesting to me.. being in the National Guard, I'm used to getting second-rate equipment, or getting new equipment several years after the active duty Army.

But here's the 82nd Airborne, one of the big-shot regular infantry units, and they don't even have matching equipment. Their vests and web gear are woodland camouflage, while their uniforms and helmets are desert pattern. Well, most of their helmet anyway -- the chinstrap doesn't match either!
Old 11-18-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
helen
Pithy Euphemist

Question

How much does the gear weigh ? It looks cumbersome.
helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:03 PM   #5
BruteForce
Lead Subordinate

It's not as bad as you think. Probably 15-20lbs with full canteens. Movement was never a problem for me unless we had to carry our pro mask (gas mask). That's a bulky sob.
BruteForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:13 PM   #6
Tobiasly
hot

The worst part is if when you're wearing night vision for an extended period of time. They don't feel that heavy, but the weight of the helmet plus those goggles really gets to ya if you're walking 20 miles.

Everything else is pretty well designed to not be too much of a burden, if you tweak it right. You can carry 60 lbs. on your back for a helluva lot farther than you probably think you could, if the weight is dispersed right.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:16 PM   #7
jtm
Dog O'Nine Tails

knee pads

What's with the knee protection? Seems a lot of the special forces guys also wear them. Do they dive to the ground and crawl along there that often?
jtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:24 PM   #8
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

elbow pads too, maybe they skate board.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:11 PM   #9
dave

Tommy Franks' Pro Skateboarder 4 - October 28, only on Xbox.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:18 PM   #10
Tobiasly
hot

They're supposedly for low-crawling over a long distance. Man, that fucks up yer knees and elbows like nobody's business. Trouble is, those pads don't work because unless you have 'em on tight enough to cut off your circulation, they just slide down and are generally annoying.

Having a pad on one knee is handy for when you need to kneel for a sec or two to read a map or whatnot, but other than that, they're worthless.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:47 PM   #11
Bitman
cellar smellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
And isn't the guy on the left Ryan Stiles of "Who's Line" and "Drew Carey" fame?
No, that's Richard Moll. Wait, no it isn't.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:02 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

What's the story on the back pack the soldier on the right is wearing? It looks like a Camelbak, like cyclists use for hydration. I can't imagine they'd be a good idea in combat since they're so good at growing fungus.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:09 AM   #13
Mav
Lurker

Not to straight out say its 'fake' but with what people are saying, doesn't it kinda look like a movie still or maybe production picture of some kind? I wouldn't have stopped to think about it till someone pointed out some obvious things, fingers not on triggers, calm expressions, non matching fatigues etc
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:03 AM   #14
Tobiasly
hot

Yes, they're Camelbacks, yes they're good at growing fungus, but yes the Army is really big on equipment maintenance, so it's not a big deal. Believe me, having to fumble with your stupid canteen -- getting it out of the pouch, undoing the tether you attach to keep from losing it, unscewing it, taking a drink, then getting it back in that awkward pouch is a huge pain in the arse. Keeping a Camelback clean is definitely less work.

Soldiers are explicitly trained to keep their fingers exactly as you see 'em in the picture. Less chance of an "accidental discharge" (yes, that's what they call it!) if things get tense, plus it's just as obvious to the civvies that you aren't about to shoot them. If it were a movie still, the fingers would be <I>in</I> the trigger well, where they don't belong.

That guy in the middle sure looks like he's pointing his rifle at the little kid, which is a big no-no. He was probably in the middle of turning around and the picture snapped at just the right time.

And again, if it were a movie still, you can be sure their uniforms <I>would</I> match. The fact that they don't probably has more to do with the haste with which they were brought to the country. I was just surprised that the 82nd Airborne wouldn't have all that stuff ready, just in case. Or maybe they're just short on funds like everyone else!

Last edited by Tobiasly; 11-19-2002 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:05 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As opposed to that famous Elian Gonzales picture, where IIRC the guy didn't have his finger in the right position, and where he did have the barrel up around the kid's face.

The US Military has better training than the INS! Well they better.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote