The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #31
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot serpent View Post
After Zen + Shawnee, I want one so long
Old 12-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #32
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

When you get cremated, the coffin goes up in smoke too, and you still need one for the service.

I would imagine that the coffin maker sells his wares to funeral homes, so the calendar is for people already in the industry. Probably not intended for the end user at all, unless you happen to be one of those freaky people who like to plan out their funeral way ahead of time (like my recently passed grandmother-in-law).
Old 12-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
When you get cremated, the coffin goes up in smoke too, and you still need one for the service.
That is subject to local laws. We confuse tradition with law sometimes, which gives the undertaker an edge. There is a growing movement toward do it yourself coffins. You could use it for an end table, wet bar, or entertainment center for a few years first... I bet you could be torched in a cardboard box.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #34
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post

I would imagine that the coffin maker sells his wares to funeral homes, so the calendar is for people already in the industry. Probably not intended for the end user at all, unless you happen to be one of those freaky people who like to plan out their funeral way ahead of time (like my recently passed grandmother-in-law).
I don't think that is correct in the US. When creamated only the body gets the fire so as not to mix the ash of all the other stuff with the casket.

Quote:
A body ready to be cremated is first placed in a container for cremation, which can be a simple corrugated cardboard box or a wooden casket. Most casket manufacturers provide a line of caskets specially built for cremation. Another option is a cardboard box that fits inside a wooden shell designed to look like a traditional casket. After the funeral service the interior box is removed from the shell before cremation, permitting the shell to be reused. Funeral homes may also offer rental caskets, which are traditional caskets used only for the duration of the services, after which the body is transferred to another container for cremation. Rental caskets are sometimes designed with removable beds and liners, replaced after each use.

In the UK, the body is not removed from the coffin, and is not placed into a container as described above. The body is cremated with the coffin, which is why all UK coffins that are to be used for cremation must be made of combustible material. The Code Of Cremation Practice forbids the opening of the coffin once it has arrived at the crematorium, and rules stipulate it must be cremated on the same day as the funeral service. Therefore, if a corpse is to be cremated in the UK, it will be done so in the same coffin as it is placed in at the funeral parlour. Jewellery is strongly advised to be removed before the coffin is sealed, as the coffin cannot be opened once it has been received at the crematorium. After the cremation process has been completed, the remains are passed through a magnetic field to remove any bits of metal, which will be interred elsewhere in the crematorium grounds.

In Australia, the deceased are cremated in a coffin supplied by the undertaker. Reusable or cardboard coffins are unknown. If cost is an issue, a plain, particle-board coffin known in the trade as a 'chippie' will be offered. Handles (if fitted) are plastic and approved for use in a cremator. Coffins vary from unfinished particle board (covered with a velvet pall if there is a service) to solid timber. Most are veneered particle board.

Cremations can be 'delivery only' with no preceding chapel service at the crematorium (although a church service may have been held) or preceded by a service in one of the crematorium chapels. Delivery-only allows crematoriums to schedule cremations to make best use of the cremators, perhaps by holding the body overnight in a refrigerator. As a result a lower fee is applicable. Delivery-only may be referred to by industry jargon such as 'west chapel service'.
from wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cremation
Old 12-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #35
TheMercenary

Heh!
Check out the wiki link above. In each picture of the guy doing the cremation he has a cig in his mouth, even when above open ashes of the persons remains!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That cremulator looks like a garbage disposal to me.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #37
glatt

These Ecopod coffins look pretty cool to me. Still too expensive.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #38
Griff
still says videotape

Very cool... if you leave out the GW bit of putting it on a plane to fly it to the States.

I'd like a tube of good soil with an apple tree growing out of the top. That should be easy to pull off.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #39
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Very cool... if you leave out the GW bit of putting it on a plane to fly it to the States.

I'd like a tube of good soil with an apple tree growing out of the top. That should be easy to pull off.
Yea, I wonder what those apples would eventually taste like?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #40
monster
I hear them call the tide

chicken. duh.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think you mean long pig.