The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

We watched old movies, sorted paperwork in preparation for our home refinance/tax filing, took a nap, then had a Pagan ritual (a regularly scheduled one...we had Ostara last Sunday).
Old 03-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #17
Carnivean
Romantic Necromancer

Ate breakfast with parents. Allowed self to be dragged to church. Enjoyed painful bronchitis-class coughing while memorizubg the conjugations of various irregular French verbs. Drank a bunch of cough syrup and fell asleep. Woke up and it was all over except for the chocolate bunny, and I managed to kill that before breakfast. Can't wait until the next holiday. At least I'll be able to blow things up.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #18
staceyv
Lecturer

like I SAID, I got good comment cards. In other words, the people LIKED me, they circled "excellent" on the comment card for both friendliness and service, yet only left 15%. 15% is only an "adequate" tip if I fuck up. If I am courteous, prompt, friendly, knowledgable, AND it is a holiday, I deserve 20%. Don't even get me started. The reason I added "fake" is because I have PMS and blisters on my feet. Yes, I had to fake my way through that shift, but let me tell you, I am a hell of an actress and I don't obviously kiss ass or make stupid small talk.
Anyway, 15% was more like the average- I got a $2 tip on a $34 tab from two women who ignored me when I asked them for their drinks until I had to walk away. When I came back, I said "hi, have two two decided what you'd like to drink or would you like a few minutes?" to which they responded "how much crabmeat is in this salad?" Fucking RETARDS.
If you're one of these cheap, ungracious, thoughtless, condescending, rude or ignorant customers, then FUCK YOU TOO.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:30 PM   #19
lookout123
changed his status to single

stacy - 15% is a decent tip. 10% is on the cheap side. 20% and up is on the extravagant side. if you don't think you are getting paid enough, then go to a restaurant that charges more for their food. 15% of $50, is a hell of a lot more than 15% of $20.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #20
staceyv
Lecturer

And if you have a "thing" against waitstaff and their attitude or comments in general, just think about WHY we are like that. I know that personally, I was NOT such a bitch before I started waitressing. I had a much more pleasant personality and a more positive attitude towards people in general. Deal with enough scum and this is what happens. Working with the general public is bad for your mental health so forgive us our attitude and try to see why we would be this way. And don't give me the shit about "get another job" because I only have to work 25 hours a week and I have a flexible schedule and I make enough to pay the bills, and I'm not leaving until it's time for me to be a housewife.
One more thing, even though I am jaded, I really, truly do appreciate the nice people, the ones who are pleasant to me and treat me like a person. The REAL people, not pretentious or condescending or trying to impress their friends or whatever. I really, truly do have kind thoughts for these people and they are what keep me going. I'm not totally fucked up. For all the assholes who have chipped away at my niceness, there really are a few good people out there.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #21
staceyv
Lecturer

Jesus, one more thing..If 15% is so adequate, then why have I NEVER EVER even once heard a complaint when we add 18% gratuity to a party of 6 or more??
I mean, if it's so much MORE than adequate, wouldn't people complain that it's too much? They KNOW it's an acceptable tip. They don't complain. I never said I expect 20% from every table. 18% is the average for good service. If you have a problem or you don't like your server or if you're really poor and you had to bring your dying child to a restaurant because it was his last wish, fine, tip 15%. In order to tip 10% or less, the waitress should have to spit in your food in front of you, drop hot coffee on your baby, or slip your man her phone number, seriously.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #22
lookout123

stacey, i am an exorbitant tipper generally, because i bartended my way through college (as did my wife). i did very very well. i didn't surpass my bartender income with my "real job" for a few years even.

i am very pleasant to the waitstaff because it can be a grueling, frustrating job. i tip well when they deserve it. but i'll tell you this, when the waitstaff has a shitty attitude there is a very strong possibility that they will find one penny on the table when i leave. not because i'm cheap, but as a message "get your shit straight or find a new job". if you find that you are consistantly getting shafted on tips, while others in the same restaurant do well - look inward before you blame the customer. if you are making the same thing that the rest of the waitstaff brings in - then you have to make a choice A) i need more money, so i'll go to a different restaurant, or B) the income is sufficient, I'll quit my bitching and get back to work.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #23
mrnoodle
bent

I tip well, too. But the idea that someone is entitled to 20% of the total tab just because they think they have a hard job....well, no.

Everyone gets at least 15% unless they're assholes. People who do a really good job get 20+%. Assholes get 10%, because, in the words of my ex-girlfriend:
Quote:
If God has to make do with 10 percent, so can the fucking waitress
Old 03-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #24
staceyv
Lecturer

Lookout, the whole point of my rant was that it was Easter and I made crappy tips. I average 18%-20% and up every shift, unless it's tour bus season (old people on pensions) or a holiday. I generally make good tips and get good comment cards, and I don't go around bitching about the money I make because it's pretty good. I would never, ever be rude or give an attitude to a customer, no matter how they treat me. I really don't think I need to look inward and it's not about finding a new restaurant, because I usually do well there. My whole point was just that people tip like shit on holidays, especially Easter and Mother's day. It's like they are forced to go out and they really don't want to spend the money. My rant was that my Easter sucked, not my everday tips, just the tips from the scum that comes out on holidays.

Noodle, I don't demand 20%. I think 18% is a nice tip, but 15% means I must've done something wrong. And when I rack my brains out and I really can't think of one thing that was off about their dining experience or my attitude, it leads me to the logical conclusion that they are cheap and looking to get away with leaving as little as humanely possible for a job very well done.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyv
Working with the general public is bad for your mental health .
Try working with real, live psychotics, bi-polars, schizophrenics and depressives! Sheesh! Have any of your customers threatened to kill you? That's pretty standard stuff where I work. That and being called "slut", "whore", "bitch" and "nazi". As in, "if you don't let me outta here, you fucking nazi bitch-whore, I'm going to KILL YOU!!! (insert your own version of maniacal laughter here.)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #26
staceyv
Lecturer

I hope your employer provides you with free couseling!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #27
lookout123

Quote:
for minimum wage or less.
sure they do - who do you think is saying these horrible things to her?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #28
mrnoodle
bent

stacey, where do you come up with the 18% vs. 15% number? I was always told that 15% was pretty standard. Plus, it's a pain in the butt to multiply by 18% in your head. lol
Old 03-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #29
lookout123

18% is what is typically added to parties of 6 or more. the reasoning is that the larger the party, the more likely that someone will stiff the waitstaff(intentionally, or just a mixup in the confusion) , also that additional waitstaff may be needed to help shoulder the load.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyv
I hope your employer provides you with free couseling!
No counseling. Just lots of increasingly dangerous situations. Like really scary patient-to-staff ratios. We also have lots of nuts who really enjoy masturbating--right in the hallway! Or dining room! Or TV room! Talk about crappy tips!! Spooge is the crappiest!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote