The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #46
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
This'll be good.

It's like someone telling me how financial aid works and what the regs are because something happened one time to them or to their friend's dog and that is how it works because that is how it works.

GO J!

disclaimer: I ain't on any side...I have no clue about any of it.
The initial charge of FALSE was not based on what happened to him or them or his friends, but the old "Google is your friend" defense.

Pet peeve - Google is not your friend. It is a tool and only as friendly as your interest in using it wisely and thoroughly, not superficially and selectively.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #47
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

disclaimer: I ain't on any side...I have no clue about any of it.

In other words: I ain't on any side. I have no clue about any of it.

(you don't need to explain sketchy cellar debating techniques to me.)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #48
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
This'll be good.

or to their friend's dog...
I'm holding the "my friend's dog ate the evidence" in reserve.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #49
infinite monkey

Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #50
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I shared what my personal experience was. I also stated facts and corrected some bad information. It is very easy to support that it can and has happened. Info is available all over the internet about the fact that they cancel them and some info about why. Take for what it is.

I never said all the time, every case, always... just that they can and do cancel dormant cards.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #51
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I have a credit card that I never use, and they haven't canceled it yet. Just because some companies do it doesn't mean that tw's statements are false.

Especially if you look at the wording:

Quote:
First, one has a credit card, does not use it, and therefore has no monthly payments.
That's me.
Quote:
A credit card that you have and do not use can cost nothing.
Note the can. Also me.
Quote:
Anybody can afford a credit card by not using it.
Note the afford. I've got a card that I don't use, and costs me nothing, so obviously anyone could afford that (unless they're shopaholics who can't afford to have a credit card available or they'll max it out). You could read more between the lines of tw's post, and argue that it would be hard for some people to get the card in the first place, but that's not a direct contradiction of anything tw said.

As long as there are still cards that aren't canceled through inactivity, tw's statements are true.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #52
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I never said all the time, every case, always...
Yes you did. That's what your "False" means when tw says it can happen. You were saying it can't.

It turns out everyone is on the same page now, and the arguing was for nothing. You are agreeing now with tw that it can happen.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #53
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Even if, in the future, there are no cards left that can be held dormant, you can use them for many purchases you would otherwise pay cash for, and not carry a balance, and still have it cost nothing more than stamps.

Maybe some day you won't be able to get a card unless you promise to carry a balance or pay a monthly fee, but it's not here yet.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #54
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Maybe some day you won't be able to get a card unless you promise to carry a balance or pay a monthly fee, but it's not here yet.
When that happens, I'll go back to writing checks or paying cash.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #55
infinite monkey

If anyone wants to borrow part of my balance (you know, just so you keep your card...really, I'm thinking of YOU) I will help you out.

PM ME!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #56
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Still, though: Capital One is teh debbil.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #57
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I stand corrected...

My humblest apologies.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #58
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

On behalf of everyone, I accept your apology.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #59
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Meanwhile, Stormieweather described a process that everyone should aspire. A process of moving from debtor to creditor means maintaining a cash flow without 9% and 20+% interest rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
I've spent the last decade (since a nasty divorce and subsequently losing my job) getting square again, financially. I work two jobs, make decent money, RENT a nice house and have no credit card debt. My only debt obligation is 1 car payment. It will be paid off in 2 years and I do not plan to ever finance a vehicle again.
Why would 50% not be able to pay $2000 today? Does that mean 50% are even maxxed out on credit cards? That article does not say - is too subjective.

I believe most can get $2000 at any time. Even a loan shark is an alternative. The article is probably ignoring loan sharks, the 'get money today for your future tax refund' outlets, and other emergency money outlets. But again, we cannot say for sure. The article does not define 'the edge'. Does it even ignore a loan shark option?

More important. Do 50% have no grasp of financial responsibility demonstrated by Stormieweather? The article implies that. I find it difficult to believe 50% are that financially ignorant.

Stormieweather defines what every financially responsible adult aspires. To move from debtor to creditor. Anyone working towards that goal could easily obtain $2000. But resulting fees, penalties, and interest charges would be a setback to the lifelong task of 'moving from debtor to creditor'.

50% of Americans could not even get money from a loan shark? I find that difficult to believe. But again, hard numbers remain unknown. Still it is curious (or distressing) that so many still have so little. Or have been so manipulated by advertising as to make Capital One so profitable.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #60
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
50% of Americans could not even get money from a loan shark? I find that difficult to believe. But again, hard numbers remain unknown. Still it is curious (or distressing) that so many still have so little. Or have been so manipulated by advertising as to make Capital One so profitable.
I think loan sharks were probably not counted, alongside money-making schemes like selling a kidney, whoring kidnapping or becoming a drug mule for the money.

Of course I may be wrong, just guessing.