The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #76
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

And finally, side view:
Name:  moose bbq 016.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  76.8 KB
We had the baked beans, cole slaw, the green beans I talked about earlier, corn on the cobb, and rolls. I forgot (or was too drunk) to remember to take pics of the final "spread". Oh well...sorry.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #77
Pie
Gone and done

Sounds like an awesome day!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #78
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Certified Georgia pig -- yummy!

How many people did it feed?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #79
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I was briefly tweaked because Boston Terriers often lie down with the legs back in "frog leg" position

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #80
Pie
Gone and done

Them's good eatin, UT!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #81
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Certified Georgia pig -- yummy!

How many people did it feed?
I'm pretty sure there were about 40-45 folks that ate. And we had some left over, which will make for yummeh sammiches.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #82
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

...and the beans you made??? What about them? No pics, no review, no samples... Didja sneak in a lil whisky while they were cookin?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #83
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I cooked them toward the end inside in the kitchen. By the time they were ready and dinner was being served, I was fairly scotched, and had forgotten about the camera.
They were delicious, tho... I added a half pound of sauteed, smoked bacon to each large can and a little salt and pepper. They must have been good to everyone else, too. There were hardly any left.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #84
chrisinhouston
Professor

Over the weekend the mrs and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary so I cooked a special meal.

Grilled and stuffed Maine lobsters
Crab stuffed mushrooms
twice baked potatoes
Steamed asparagus
Apple Crumble

It was sure tasty and we drank two very nice and special bottles of wine. A Williams & Selyam 2005 Pinot Noir and one from Moshin Vineyards. I got them from the winerys but in a restaurant you would probably pay $200 + for those choices!
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #85
chrisinhouston
Professor

more pics
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #86
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

What a class act. Looks good. And Happy Anniversary!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #87
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Well, I've been thinking and I decided that I am not going to be the big snob about match light charcoal vs regular. If I notice a difference in taste, then I will worry about it. I mean who am I to say how bad match light is? I just read too much for my own good.

In fact, I am going to make some chicken skewers this week. With pineapple, onion, and peppers. Lets not forget the BBQ sauce, too.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #88
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

There is no better guru than experience remembered.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #89
Juniper
I know, right?

Big V, you're someone I DEFINITELY would enjoy going camping with.

A friend of ours has one of those smokers. Everyone raves about the stuff he cooks in it - he always brings it when we go camping and has a blast just tending it, playing cornhole and drinking beer all day. But I think the meat is always just a little tough for my taste. Cheap cuts, I guess. We brought a pork loin for him to put in there last time and it was really good. Unfortunately we shared with everyone else and it was also the first meat to disappear. :p

It was pretty funny, though, when he opened the door to check on things and WHOOSH, singed his beard.

I enjoy cooking on a campfire, just for the fun of the challenge. But at home, I'm really lazy and love my gas grill. Just push a button, and it's good to go. I use it a lot. I wouldn't say I'm all that good at it, though. All we usually make is burgers, metts/brats, chicken, or chops.

Tonight I tried making shrimp on the grill for the first time. I don't eat shrimp (I'm allergic) but everyone else likes them, so I tried. Put 'em on skewers. Lesson one: soak skewers first. Lesson two: Brush oil on shrimp, not just teriyaki sauce. Lesson three: Don't overcook.

Well, the dogs liked 'em. It was only a small bag.

Inspired by two recent Girl Scout & Boy Scout trips, I decided to get my own dutch oven. Hubby found one tonight at Harbor Freight for $25. I hope it isn't cheap junk.

Last edited by Juniper; 06-10-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #90
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
playing cornhole and drinking beer all day
Hey Peter...
Attached Images

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote