The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Joe Paterno to resign at end of season

Unconfirmed, but got an AP text
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

AP pretty much confirms it.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-09-09-58-54
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
dmg1969
I got nothing

He could be forced out sooner if the Penn State Board of Trustees decides to do so. Leaving a t the end of this season was his decision. They could decide that his leaving immediately would be better. Time will tell.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They won't.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
He could be forced out sooner if the Penn State Board of Trustees decides to do so. Leaving a t the end of this season was his decision. They could decide that his leaving immediately would be better. Time will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They won't.

They did.

Quote:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State trustees fired football coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier amid the growing furor over how the school handled sex abuse allegations against an assistant coach.

The massive shakeup Wednesday night came hours after Paterno announced that he planned to retire at the end of his 46th season.

But the outcry following the arrest of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky on molestation charges proved too much for the board to ignore.

Speaking at his house to a couple of dozen students, Paterno said, "Right now, I'm not the football coach. And I've got to get used to that. After 61 years, I've got to get used to it. I appreciate it. Let me think it through
Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, they've decided to fired everybody to cover their ass, including the president. Cowards.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

XO, Why not give the Board a small break.

As I understand it, Paterno was obligated to report the offenses of the other coach.
If so, they fired those that did not do their job properly.

If Paterno were kept on til the end of the year, couldn't the Board have been criticized
for caring more about their football season than the improper conduct of their faculty.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
XO, Why not give the Board a small break.

As I understand it, Paterno was obligated to report the offenses of the other coach.
If so, they fired those that did not do their job properly.

If Paterno were kept on til the end of the year, couldn't the Board have been criticized
for caring more about their football season than the improper conduct of their faculty.
As I understand it, he met the minimum requirement for reporting. He did what he was supposed to do. Sandusky was no longer a PSU coach in 1999. They're saying that Paterno should have done more. I don't know, yet, whether it was administrators, police, or prosecutors who dropped the ball. Until there is more information, and hopefully the truth comes out, I think Joe should have been allowed to finish the season.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Penn State students riot to protest Paterno's firing. This is going to make people respect them even more....

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...-unrest/44792/
Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

If you sexaully abuse a child, gasoline should be pour on your head and you should be set on fire and burned to death. If you know about it and do nothing, you should be made to watch the burning and then go to prison for the rest of your life. If you protest the decision to fire those who did nothing, you should be made to explain to the children that were raped why you think football is more important than the child.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
If you sexaully abuse a child, gasoline should be pour on your head and you should be set on fire and burned to death. If you know about it and do nothing, you should be made to watch the burning and then go to prison for the rest of your life. If you protest the decision to fire those who did nothing, you should be made to explain to the children that were raped why you think football is more important than the child.
Joe didn't "do nothing".
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
SirFatty
Jotter of Notes

He did half of nothing... he had a responsibility to go to the police and he did not.
SirFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Paterno notified Curley and Schultz about the 2002 abuse charge and is not a target of the criminal investigation. Curley and Schultz have been charged with failing to report the incident to the authorities.
Marx brothers-sounding names aside, Paterno did so report the incident. He is not being charged. Whether you think he should have taken it elsewhere or not is your opinion. How much he knew or didn't know is still your opinion.

I'm always amazed at the propensity of people to automatically get out the pitchforks, and shoot first and ask questions later, especially when it comes to certain subjects.

Many lives have been ruined by false speculation. While the incidents are indeed too horrible to imagine, we can't keep with the knee-jerk scapegoatism we cling to...in the name of thinking of the children, or in the name of FSM himself. Not until we know the truth.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Joe didn't "do nothing".
I heard two guys speculating that he used knowledge of this incident to hang on to his job long after he should have been let go. 5 years ago there was talk of his retirement being forced upon him. Supposedly the higher ups visited him at home to talk about it, and he talked them out of it.

this is hearsay. i know nothing.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Fuck Joe Paterno.

He served at the pleasure of the university.

If he feels his discharge was unjust: he can sue.

The meat of the matter is NOT Paterno.

From Wikipedia: "Mike McQueary, then a graduate assistant, told Paterno in 2002 that he had seen Sandusky performing a sex act on a 10-year-old boy in Penn State football's shower facilities..."

McQueary, as I understand it, walked in on Sandusky and the boy and did squat to intervene.

Why isn't someone horsewhipping McQueary?

"Well, he followed procedure and reported what he saw to a superior."

Er, fuck procedure, fuck the law: If someone walks in on an adult using my five-year old nephew in such a way, I expect that someone to STOP the event, right then and there.

If *I walk in on an adult using a child in such a way, someone will be hurt.

Let the police sort out the details AFTER you horsewhip the pervert.

'Poor Joe Paterno', indeed...

*This, by the way, is not a 'moral' issue, but simply 'my' distaste for the predatory use of innocents...distaste in no small way fueled by my own love of my nephew...I don't give a shit what the law (civil or religious) has to say on the matter.